Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you can change one thing in this hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
What would it be?

As a retailer, I wish there were two or three more companies making cards.

As a bonus, I also wish base cards, especially prospects, had nice values like they used to.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I would like to see Topps insert 1 redemption per case of Bowman hobby/jumbo that would allow for the recipient to get up to 5 cards graded at the company of his/her choice for free.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
The ability for companies to make actual cards and maybe just going back to basics and offering cards that can realistically be in collectors' hands.

I realize people want to pull the 'sell sheet hits,' but it seems like I see less and less of those great pulls materialize - especially out of the pack - it's always a damn redemption.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
The people who collect. Sure, there's a good chunk of people collect what they want (on all sorts of budgets) but I just really dislike folks that only care about the next Single A pitcher that may be in the majors in two years. Just not how I was brought up in this hobby and something I genuinely dislike.

Wish you had asked 10 things you'd change about the hobby ... I could go on and on and on ...

Dmscards

Apr 2, 2013
Los Angeles
The people who collect. Sure, there's a good chunk of people collect what they want (on all sorts of budgets) but I just really dislike folks that only care about the next Single A pitcher that may be in the majors in two years. Just not how I was brought up in this hobby and something I genuinely dislike.

Wish you had asked 10 things you'd change about the hobby ... I could go on and on and on ...

I genuinely dislike people that collect JJ. If anything you should dislike the companies that make cards of Single A pitchers. IMHO it is incredibly immature to dislike something that someone else enjoys collecting. And I am NOT a prospector.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I genuinely dislike people that collect JJ. If anything you should dislike the companies that make cards of Single A pitchers. IMHO it is incredibly immature to dislike something that someone else enjoys collecting. And I am NOT a prospector.

I dislike all that breathe.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
I think what he was getting at was the reason some of those people "enjoy" collecting those Single A pitchers, which is purely to make a profit. They don't care about the "collecting" aspect of it; as soon as it becomes profitable, those cards are gone.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
It clearly has to be adding at least a 2nd company to make licensed cards. I was and I guess still am a fan of the Donruss/Leaf stuff. I just always thought a lot (not all) of their designs were better than Topps. I mean going back in time from Diamond Kings to the big Signing bonus frames, they were always ahead of Topps when coming up with better ideas. Topps is just the same Chrome, Chrome, Chrome nothing creative. And I like Chrome it's just too bland when they barely change from year to year. Last year a was not buying anything and now I'm starting to buy Leaf Trinity. It looks so nice compared to other stuff out IMO.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
ALOT less high-end Topps!

Stop making GQ, A&G and TR every year. Just make one per year, and rotate between the three of them. Keep Heritage going but 4 retro-looking sets per year are too many IMO.

Please end the RC logo out of any set except base Topps. That and the Bowman prospects idea is too confusing for the general Collecting public...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Bingo! I collect Dodger autographs and would go after a Jackie Robinson much the same way I'd go after a Julio Urias. Sure, one is more significant than the other, but eventually I'd like to try to get a signature from every player who played for the team. That is the hobby aspect for me, not the profit aspect. Right now, Urias is one example of a signature that I can't, no...WON'T buy, because the prospectors/speculators are stocking up and have driven the price up too high. this happened to me with Puig as well. Eventually I'll have both and many others because the shine will wear off the new toy and people will find a new shiny toy to admire at my prices.

I think what he was getting at was the reason some of those people "enjoy" collecting those Single A pitchers, which is purely to make a profit. They don't care about the "collecting" aspect of it; as soon as it becomes profitable, those cards are gone.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
There are a few things I would change, some of which have already been mentioned. However, while this isn't #1 I wanted to bring it up... How about less parallels. I mean this years topps tribute autos were especially ridiculous: base/99, blue /50, pink/45, orange/40, sepia /35, yellow /30, green /25, gold /15, red /5, purple /1, black /1. Really??? And to top it all off the orange/sepia and gold/yellow practically look the same. This years BC sounds especially like a nightmare with the mini's and mini parallels. I'm all for added value, but how about some creativity. How about a variety of inserts as opposed to 50 parallels of the same card.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Eliminate all prospect cards for the reason mentioned above. They just aren't a hobby for almost anyone. People just buy them to sell them. That is a business not a hobby.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Who cares if prospecting is a business and not a hobby? And it's not a business for everyone. I bought $2500 worth of Bowman Draft stuff this year. How much have I sold? $0

Members online

Latest posts