Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cincinnati Reds' Ryan Freel - Dead at the age of 36

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
While I tend to agree that suicide is selfish, we don't know Freel's situation.

Completely speculating but maybe Ryan was scared of himself and what he could do. If he truly thought he could end up hurting others including his family, he might have done the most unselfish thing to give them a chance.

The use of the term selfish is only useful when looking back on the tragedy in hindsight. What if Adam Lanza would have simply taken his 1 bullet before ever leaving his house?

I agree with this to a point. If you feel you are dangerous there are other options. Easier said than done, but you could go to the police, and start getting mental help. At least the family would still have hope of a recovery.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I have had one family member and two friends commit suicide.

While I obviously wish they hadn't done what they did, I refuse to judge them and call them selfish. They were in intense emotional pain and hope was gone from their lives.

The sense of loss and missing of them FAR outweighs any anger I felt/feel about what they did.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
That sucks. I always enjoyed watching him play. He was freaking radical. Sad to hear he took his own life.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
As I sit down to write, I've got a bunch of thoughts running through my head. I hope I'm able to articulate properly what I'm processing right now, and I hope I don't ramble too much.

When I read or hear of someone taking their own life, it breaks my heart. I've grieved for friends, I've grieved for strangers, I'm grieving for Ryan Freel. I remember the 16-year-old son of a friend who hung himself with a belt and how I hurt for him and his family for so long. Being a fan of sports in general, I remember feeling so damn sad when I heard about Hireki Irabu and Junior Seau, as they were both close to my age. I think about the pain they had to have been feeling. I wonder who was in their lives that they could have reached out to, or whether they thought they were truly alone.

Eric said early on that Freel was a selfish motherXXXXer. While the language was harsh, there was some truth in the statement. From the point of view of those on the outside, it IS selfish. Loved ones are left wondering what they could have done, what they could have said. Maybe they regret the last thing they might have said to that person, thinking it might have tipped them over the edge. Everyone is left dealing with some level of pain and loss. So many things to process, and none of them positive.

Trouble is, the last thing on the mind of someone contemplating suicide is being selfish. It's simply about ending the pain, or ending what they feel is a hopeless situation, or having a sense of complete and utter worthlessness. See, I've been that guy. I was 17 years old when I made the attempt. I thought all of those things specifically, and probably more. I sometimes look back on that kid and sometimes ask myself if things were really so bad. In hindsight, no they weren't, but then I have the benefit of maturity and wisdom to see things far differently now than I saw them then.

I'm so, so thankful that I failed. All my attempt cost me was four days in the hospital; obviously it could have cost me so much more. As a result, I now get to share my story with those that care to listen. Maybe I can be the one that makes a small difference in someone's life. Hopefully I get the opportunity to tell someone that they DO matter, that they ARE loved, and their life is changed because of my experience.

There are those here that have no sympathy for folks who are suicidal, or have committed suicide. C'mon, nothing could be THAT bad. Sack up and stop being so weak - everyone has problems, after all. Me, I can't be so quick to judge. I may have been an immature kid, but I've done a little walking in those shoes. It's not so cut & dried. The pain is real, and the desire to just end it is often too hard to deny.

Last edited:

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
As I sit down to write, I've got a bunch of thoughts running through my head. I hope I'm able to articulate properly what I'm processing right now, and I hope I don't ramble too much.

When I read or hear of someone taking their own life, it breaks my heart. I've grieved for friends, I've grieved for strangers, I'm grieving for Ryan Freel. I remember the 16-year-old son of a friend who hung himself with a belt and how I hurt for him and his family for so long. Being a fan of sports in general, I remember feeling so damn sad when I heard about Hireki Irabu and Junior Seau, as they were both close to my age. I think about the pain they had to have been feeling. I wonder who was in their lives that they could have reached out to, or whether they thought they were truly alone.

Eric said early on that Freel was a selfish motherXXXXer. While the language was harsh, there was some truth in the statement. From the point of view of those on the outside, it IS selfish. Loved ones are left wondering what they could have done, what they could have said. Maybe they regret the last thing they might have said to that person, thinking it might have tipped them over the edge. Everyone is left dealing with some level of pain and loss. So many things to process, and none of them positive.

Trouble is, the last thing on the mind of someone contemplating suicide is being selfish. It's simply about ending the pain, or ending what they feel is a hopeless situation, or having a sense of complete and utter worthlessness. See, I've been that guy. I was 17 years old when I made the attempt. I thought all of those things specifically, and probably more. I sometimes look back on that kid and sometimes ask myself if things were really so bad. In hindsight, no they weren't, but then I have the benefit of maturity and wisdom to see things far differently now than I saw them then.

I'm so, so thankful that I failed. All my attempt cost me was four days in the hospital; obviously it could have cost me so much more. As a result, I now get to share my story with those that care to listen. Maybe I can be the one that makes a small difference in someone's life. Hopefully I get the opportunity to tell someone that they DO matter, that they ARE loved, and their life is changed because of my experience.

There are those here that have no sympathy for folks who are suicidal, or have committed suicide. C'mon, nothing could be THAT bad. Sack up and stop being so weak - everyone has problems, after all. Me, I can't be so quick to judge. I may have been an immature kid, but I've done a little walking in those shoes. It's not so cut & dried. The pain is real, and the desire to just end it is often too hard to deny.

Amen man.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
Mad props to you TNP for opening up and sharing your story. Like the above post, I think that I can speak for the board and genuinely say that we are thankful you failed at your attempt as well!

God Bless.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Mad props to you TNP for opening up and sharing your story. Like the above post, I think that I can speak for the board and genuinely say that we are thankful you failed at your attempt as well!

God Bless.

I'll 2nd that.......thanks for sharing TNP. Perhaps your post and/or your story can help someone.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Pretty sad. We traded a bunch of emails back in 2009. He happened to be a fan of some of the music I've done. He was always super gracious with his responses. RIP.

Members online

Latest posts