Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards or Memorabilia?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Except when the checklist is incomplete

Well, any checklist is going to be open to debate as to what is complete. Different people consider different things accepted items (i.e. Broder cards, stat cards, unlicensed cards, etc.) However, there are generally accepted checklists in the hobby, including PSA registery, Beckett checklist, or Standard Catalog lists. These are well defined and allow collectors to compare "completeness." Game used memorabilia has no such comparison.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I do both, but if I had to choose one over the other, it would be memorabilia all day every day of the week.
Yes I have a great card collection of Cuddyer, but my memorabilia collection of his is far superior IMO.
Yes cards are easier to store, but they are in binders on a shelf, not to be seen without opening up said binders.
The memorabilia is all displayed, so for those that say its hard to display, I disagree, it all depends on item/s and space.
I have 6 bats, 4 jerseys, 2 gloves, 2 hats, 6 baseballs, cleats, batting gloves and wrist guard all displayed nicely.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I like the "known checklist" aspect of cards. Plus the ease of storage. I don't exclude memorabilia from my PC, but it's bulky, expensive and sometimes questionable in its authenticity.

Great post.

I have a handful of centerpiece type of game used items, but I've found in the past that the more memorabilia I add, the less I appreciate any of those specific pieces. I prefer cards, with a few favorite gamer items.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I much prefer cards, although I do keep auto'd items and McFarlanes that either look great or are one of my Faves...

jtrinaldi

May 31, 2012
I like both and they both have their place. Some say memorabilia is bulky and hard to store, but if you collect it, you make room and find ways to store items, it's no different that card collectors storing cards various ways. I'm sure many of the memorabilia collectors feel the same towards cards.

I do wish that both of these things were separate again. I can't think of another hobby that continually and intentionally destroys another hobby just for kicks and profits. I wish the card hobby would go back to being that, just cards. Spend more time and effort on design and quality, No more scraps of memorabilia that you really can't discern from another. No more cutting up pieces of history, even for current day items. Just because one cannot afford a full item doesn't mean it should be hacked up to share. I would love to own a Musial game worn jersey but I'm not that fortunate, I'm not rich. Items like that should be left intact in a museum or even a private collection, but it shouldn't be destroyed because I can't afford the whole thing. The same goes for current day players and if Mike Trout wore 162 jerseys this year there's a market for them, sure prices would drop significantly but they'd still be more rare than most cards of his. Should we chop a couple t-206 Honus Wagner cards into dozens of pieces so we can all have a part of one?

One thing is has done though is that for some it was the gateway into the game used memorabilia hobby. It certainly was for me and once I got my first jersey in, I was hooked. I knew that I wanted to collect both and that the gu cards were no longer something I wanted to really pursue outside of certain player collections (for simply getting as many of their cards that I can afford). Being able to look at photos from a game and being able to see that is the same item is really cool, you can't do that with a tiny swatch of fabric or bat. Plus many of these items appear on cards too and it makes for a nice display, the game used item and photos/cards that show that same exact item.

In the end, I collect both and they compliment each other and as for storage, I just need a bigger house to store it all, that goes for both the cards and memorabilia.
I only do memorabilia. I used to do cards, but was to embarrassed by the fact that when people came over, they looked down on me for doing it. Now hat I do memorabilia, I can actually show my prized possessions off. I bought 4 jerseys for my PC or my brothers(either in september or october) which cost close to $900. I know that each jersey right now could sell on the open market for $500 each, but it is the PC, so they will not be sold. When I bought my 5th jersey this year (Ian Desmond Vermont), I was able to make 2x what I paid for it. I probably left some money on the table because it was the offseason, but I needed that money to pay for my Archie Bradley jersey. Soon after I bought my Bradley, I purchased an Alex Meyer Potomac one. I am now evaluating whether or not to make another huge purchase.
Oh, BTW, Prospecting over the last 2 years has been able to pay for all of these jerseys I have bought, none of my own money.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I only do memorabilia. I used to do cards, but was to embarrassed by the fact that when people came over, they looked down on me for doing it. Now hat I do memorabilia, I can actually show my prized possessions off. I bought 4 jerseys for my PC or my brothers(either in september or october) which cost close to $900. I know that each jersey right now could sell on the open market for $500 each, but it is the PC, so they will not be sold. When I bought my 5th jersey this year (Ian Desmond Vermont), I was able to make 2x what I paid for it. I probably left some money on the table because it was the offseason, but I needed that money to pay for my Archie Bradley jersey. Soon after I bought my Bradley, I purchased an Alex Meyer Potomac one. I am now evaluating whether or not to make another huge purchase.
Oh, BTW, Prospecting over the last 2 years has been able to pay for all of these jerseys I have bought, none of my own money.

Sad that you let peer pressure dictate your hobby.

jtrinaldi

May 31, 2012
Sad that you let peer pressure dictate your hobby.
It is what it is, I have no regrets about it. It was just too hard to compete with everyone. I guess with cards, I just lost sight of what was important, for me there was no value in PC'ing a player or team, as new cards came out regularly. The More Rare cards that came out, the more people were willing to pay to have that specific card, the less interested in cards I got. I am very happy with doing memorabilia now, and happy that people made me realize that I was wasting my time spending close to $100 on a piece of cardboard that was 2.5x3.5. I have an awesome start for my "Mancave" and I am just 19.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Technically what was then?

He stated, "I use to do cards...I was embarrassed, people looked down on me...Now that I do memorabilia..."

It just seemed that card collecting wasn't what he was really interested in to begin with. I'm taking the point of view that if cards were his real hobby he wouldn't have cared what others thought of it in the first place.

Members online