Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

found this at the Thrift Shop: GU jersey?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
A Phillies jersey.
I only bought it because it was in good condition with nice quality.
Now that i look at the tags & the name, i wonder ...

There was only one "COSBEY" a AA prospect named Chris Cosbey.
But why would his name be on an official Phillies jersey?

Anyone have any knowledge on these patches?

MLB18_zps1de4f469.jpg

MLB19_zps95ca4288.jpg

... thanks in advance.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
'24' but pretty sure it was made before Utley's addition.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
I can tell you exactly what it is.

For the better part of the past 15 years, in Clearwater, the site where the FIL takes place as well as spring training (for the minors and majors), the team has sold off the "spring" jerseys, as well as the FIL jerseys, in their store throughout the year. I'd need to see the whole front of the shirt to identify the year if I can, but I suspect that others have already indicated he was a minor leaguer in the early 2000s.

I can guarantee you that he did wear it during spring training and/or the Florida Instructional League. The team sells them for $25-50, so its likely worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
Good call. Thanks.
Ok Bob, you have my attention.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
'24' but pretty sure it was made before Utley's addition.

Utley is 26. However, 24 was LIeberthal during this time period. It doesn't matter, as the minor leaguers did not have any corresponding #s with the major leaguers.

During spring training in Clearwater, there are typically 4 groups of minor leaguers, corresponding with who will likely be in AAA, AA, A, and low A. Each set wears this exact jersey. There are a LOT of doubling up. It's odd to see a #35 that's not Hamels or #6 that's not Howard, but it happens often.

Edit: I don't believe he ever enjoyed spring training with the big club. He didn't play with the big boys at Bright House Field, rather, he was on the minor league squad.

cmixer

Aug 9, 2008
By 'what you paid for it'
It was a whopping $3.00

Thanks, again.

Members online