Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Cautionary Fail: My Topps.com Story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TenaciousJDD

11/5/2015: Topps releases Topps Fire Metallic Edition Baseball as an online exclusive at Topps.com. The 35 card set is printed on standard size aluminum stock, features the same cool design from the wall art line and has a great checklist. I determine that this is a good investment and order one set for $249.99. Per the item description the set will ship in 10 days.

11/20/2015: On the tenth business day after my order Topps is now selling the set for $187.49 even though they still have not been able to fulfill any of the original orders. Per customer service not only has my order not yet been shipped, but due to "production delays" it has not even been produced.

11/30/2015: On the fifteenth business day after my order Topps is now selling the set for $174.99. My order still has not shipped.

12/2/2015: Nearly one month has passed and now Topps is selling the set for only $149.99, however Topps has informed me that my order did ship on 12/1/2015! The expected delivery date is 12/11/2015.

Thirty-six days later and already $100 in the hole I will finally have my cards. I of course already have regrets.

Please let my impatience be a lesson to us all. Do not order Topps.com exclusives on release day.

Do not make my mistakes.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Just like anything else with cards. I wish I had picked up a couple cases of 2012 Heritage High Number sets at $99 per. I'd have gladly waited a little while to get them.

TenaciousJDD

Just like anything else with cards. I wish I had picked up a couple cases of 2012 Heritage High Number sets at $99 per. I'd have gladly waited a little while to get them.

I just can't understand how they could already blowout a product that hadn't even been made yet. It's incredibly frustrating to be told that my order can't be fulfilled because of production delays while watching the price plummet and then also be told my purchase of a non-custom item that hadn't been made could not be adjusted or canceled.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is a bummer, but there could be instances where if you don't buy on day 1, then they sell out and you regret waiting. It is always a gamble on a new release.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, the first time they did the Turkey Red box packs it sold out pretty quick and prices tripled on the secondary market. They had potentially low-numbered autos of some pretty good players driving it, though. They really are doing some interesting things with direct-to-collector sales, and "interesting" is not synonymous with "good." All these limited-edition, exclusive variations and sets could prove quite collectible, or they could be etopps 2.0.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I would see if they could do something to get Clyde to last price they had before sets started shipping. Big difference between price reduction on in stock items you may have over paid one vs price reduction on "pre buys" that they reduce multiple times before you get yours.

Ryan

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
I would call them and inform them that they did not honor the contract by not shipping in 10 days and you want the difference back. If topps doesn't give you what you want, then try to contact your credit card company.

Members online