Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stanton - Marlins agree 13 YR/$325 million pact

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Is this confirmed yet or just Rumored?

Either way:

I understand he's younger than most FAs that get Long term deals, but haven't GMs yet learned that contracts (in any sport) of more than 5 years usually don't work out very well, if at all...

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I see that this is being discussed, but it isn't official - nothing on the ESPN or mlb.com. OP, are you just throwing things against the wall so you can see what sticks, or do you have a link that corroborates your headline?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Interesting Marlins would give out that kind of deal since he hasn't played since that brutal HBP.Hope the Marlins can build a team around him.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
TOPPS PRESS RELEASE
11/14/14

Topps is proud to announce "Topps Mega Moola Baseball" on this day when the largest contract in sports has been signed.

"By evidence of this monumental, unprecedented contract, it is completely clear that the baseball card hobby and the country's economy, is in their greatest state ever" proclaimed Topps PR man Ima Lya.

Each pack will contain 5 autos meticulously hand picked from all the active major league players and have an SRP of $5,000. It will be housed in a metal Igloo cooler emblazoned with the Topps logo in one of 27 different colors to make even the igloo collectible!

"We feel that the quality of these cards coupled with the cost enables us to NOT include any retired players or legends" Lya said.

Although the product releases three days after "five star" and the same week as National Treasures" and "dynasty", When pressed for a checklist, Lya said it's "waaaaay" to early to produce one but did drop some hints.

"You can look forward to some of the top rookies from this season like Onelki Garcia and Enny Romero" said Lya.

"And you didn't hear it here, but there just might be some '01 bowman chrome Mauer and Wright auto cards we never released....And perhaps a '99 bowman chrome Pujols topps neglected to insert into those packs"

But the key might be the first ever autograph patch card (Yankees no less!) Of LOOGY Chaz Roe!!!!

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I always wondered where is the real motivation when you get a guarenteed contract that big.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I always wondered where is the real motivation when you get a guarenteed contract that big.

He was already a multimillionaire. Now he gets to create his legacy. Does he want to go down as one of the greatest ever, or does he want to be remembered as a punk who just quit when he got money?

Also heard an interesting take on this contract today. Think about contracts ten years ago, and how they have exploded since. Imagine what contracts may be like in ten years if TV money keeps growing like it is. Stanton could be a discount superstar at 25 million in 7 years as the money keeps growing. Not necessarily saying I agree but an interesting take.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I never thought he would stay a day past his current contract in Miami. I thought he was totally against the way the front office handled their own players from the no trade clause thing.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The contract has been agreed upon.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/marlins-giancarlo-stanton-agree-to-13-year-325mm-contract.html

Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree To 13-Year, $325MM Contract

By Mark Polishuk [November 17, 2014 at 9:11am CST]

The Marlins and slugger Giancarlo Stanton are in agreement on a record-setting 13-year, $325MM contract extension, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports. While the deal hasn’t yet been made official, Heyman reports that a press conference should be held later this week and “there is a clear understanding the deal will be finalized.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This is so ignorant on the Marlins part.

Notoriously one of the cheapest professional major sports franchises, and they go and do this?

It's mind blowing to me.

Albert Pujols didn't deserve this kind of money at any point in his career. And Stanton is no Pujols, and never will be.

I'm extremely happy for Stanton for finding his patsy, but **** man, it's moves like this that I could see putting a franchise out of business.

Are the Marlins really prepared for all of the losing seasons that are ahead, and the low attendance that's going to be a result of that? Stanton isn't going to fill the seats, and when the team is losing, those fans have already proven they won't come to the games.

Members online

No members online now.