Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett black label

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
You mean businesses exist to make more money?

yes, they exist to make money but they can die like I think BGS must be doing if they can't grow revenue organically on their laurels but rather have to do a gimmick to try to get people who have already done business with them in the past to send their BGS graded cards back to them for more revenue to relabel and reship the cards back.

That's why I think the 9's, 8's, and 7's are next to get gimmick labels because that's a bigger revenue stream than the 10's are.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
yes, they exist to make money but they can die like I think BGS must be doing if they can't grow revenue organically on their laurels but rather have to do a gimmick to try to get people who have already done business with them in the past to send their BGS graded cards back to them for more revenue to relabel and reship the cards back.

That's why I think the 9's, 8's, and 7's are next to get gimmick labels because that's a bigger revenue stream than the 10's are.

I think the distinction in my mind is that quad 10's are not very common. Its not really going to generate that much revenue unless they start running out more quad tens.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

Because Beckett doesn't make any money charging people $20 dollars to look at their card for three seconds...

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I actually really like this idea. Quad tens are near impossible to get and command a premium over standard tens. The problem now is that I see three quad ten becoming the mattress ten and tens will become the new 9.5s, so bgs will hand out more quad tens. One seller already more than five black labels on eBay. No way each of those cards are all completely flawless cards.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I actually really like this idea. Quad tens are near impossible to get and command a premium over standard tens. The problem now is that I see three quad ten becoming the mattress ten and tens will become the new 9.5s, so bgs will hand out more quad tens. One seller already more than five black labels on eBay. No way each of those cards are all completely flawless cards.

What years?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Love the look of the quad 10 pristine. I have done a fair amount of grading and have only had one or two grade pristine, none with quad 10 subs. Likely the seller with all of the black label cards, collected them in the secondary market and had them placed in the new slabs. People that grade a lot have learned how to clean and safely store their cards, along with knowing and working within the margins to get the desired subs.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Love the look of the quad 10 pristine. I have done a fair amount of grading and have only had one or two grade pristine, none with quad 10 subs. Likely the seller with all of the black label cards, collected them in the secondary market and had them placed in the new slabs.

We can probably check this by seeing if the slab serial numbers are close to each other.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
We can probably check this by seeing if the slab serial numbers are close to each other.

Good point. So with that in mind, I did check. He has a 2012 BC and a 2014 BC and the numbers vary greatly, likely not graded at the same time and just slabbed for the new label.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Good point. So with that in mind, I did check. He has a 2012 BC and a 2014 BC and the numbers vary greatly, likely not graded at the same time and just slabbed for the new label.

That makes me feel better. I guess the other thing to check is the date the cards were graded. And if they weren't graded within the last couple days, how did the seller know to get quad tens and about the black labels?

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I'm looking at some of the grading dates now:

2012 seager:
November 26, 2014

2014 winker:
June 20, 2014

2014 giolito
June 20, 2014

2013 ball
May 06, 2014

2014 bryant
July 10, 2014

So this looks to be proof that these cards were not all graded from the same order.

But here's where things get strange. BGS didn't announce the black label until yesterday [black friday]. The seller's Bryant is the exact same one featured in BGS's announcement based on slab serial number. The seller mentions "Black Friday" in his listings. So the seller had to know about the black labels before everyone else. But how?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I'm looking at some of the grading dates now:

2012 seager:
November 26, 2014

2014 winker:
June 20, 2014

2014 giolito
June 20, 2014

2013 ball
May 06, 2014

2014 bryant
July 10, 2014

So this looks to be proof that these cards were not all graded from the same order.

But here's where things get strange. BGS didn't announce the black label until yesterday [black friday]. The seller's Bryant is the exact same one featured in BGS's announcement based on slab serial number. The seller mentions "Black Friday" in his listings. So the seller had to know about the black labels before everyone else. But how?

Not sure? You could just message him. If I remember him from some of my past dealings, he comes to Dallas to do drops. Which is the way I get my grading done as well, living in the D/FW area. Not sure how he would have been informed on the new labels ahead of his arrival though, thus getting his collected quad 10's into new slabs. Maybe he called ahead to check his fee structure on a drop and they sold him on the new labels. Just a guess.

Members online

Latest posts