Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps has pushed me over the edge with this nonsense. I am done with MLB cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
He probably is already back on. Did he not have multiple accounts here for a while?

he SAID the other one was deleted , but i wouldn't take his word for it....

furthermore , if he does create yet another new one , i'm quite sure he doesn't have the self restraint to avoid showing his true colors (enough to reveal himself) again very very soon....

Rabs

Jan 25, 2011
Land O Lakes, FL
I read the original thread that David Anthony got all worked up about over on Blowout (he can't respond to it there since he's banned so that's why he created the post here). You're completely correct, it was 2011 Bowman Draft. Blowout reduced the price on the boxes because the redemptions were expiring, and lo and behold the guy pulled an expired redemption. Sorry dude can't have it both ways, you got the boxes cheap because of the chance exactly that would happen. Topps has a hard deadline on their redemptions and it'd be nice if they bent the rules, but I wouldn't expect them to and the 3-year window they give seems reasonable.
I'm not someone who buys a lot of boxes so sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you know when you are buying an older box: 1. it has redemptions in it and 2. when they expire.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Probably the only way to really know is to be knowledgable about the issue. Some issues may have touted redemptions back in the day to promote upcoming events (thinking like draft redemptions, etc) but I think now redemption cards just an easy way to move forward with a product that isn't actually ready for shipment!!

I'm not someone who buys a lot of boxes so sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you know when you are buying an older box: 1. it has redemptions in it and 2. when they expire.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
Probably the only way to really know is to be knowledgable about the issue. Some issues may have touted redemptions back in the day to promote upcoming events (thinking like draft redemptions, etc) but I think now redemption cards just an easy way to move forward with a product that isn't actually ready for shipment!!
Absolutely, do your research. Accept the risk of buying older products and be knowledgeable.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

I believe beckett price guides/annuals have that info listed -- in the set header, among the fine print near the top of the listing where they list common, unlisted star, semistar prices and other info, or even in the main list of stars/rookies they might have a special abbrev to note the card is a redemption ("EXCH"?).

I think one of the major online wax dealers also puts that in the item description (if there are redemptions in that product or not).

What I sometimes do is search ebay and see if I can find even one redemption card listed for sale just to tell me that there were redemptions and an approximation of when they expire since you could assume they all expire on the same date or you can assume there might be some varying expiration dates.

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My question is, if it expires..... where is the card? If there is a redemption, there has to be a card for it.
Topps probably uses the cards as replacements for other cards that aren't honored.
Like when a player doesn't autograph cards, or it's taking too long, and a collector tells Topps it wants a replacement of "equal value."

Kinda hard to believe some of the responses here. No wonder the card companies keep screwing the customer so. Just keep smiling and taking it guys. I know I wont be ripping anymore new Topps or Panini products. Take a stand and vote with your wallet people. Keep letting them give you redemption's or "event worn" jersey/patch cards.

I certainly don't mean to be a stick in the mud here. Why would you continue to buy products from companies with such horrible service. The boxes lots of times state how many autos or whatever you should get. They don't mention redemption's except for maybe in the fine print. That"s whats wrong with a lot of companies today. They hide behind to much fine print and legal mumbo jumbo. I for one wont be supporting them any longer.

I have been standing my ground since December. Others should follow suit if they want anything to be done about the corruption in this wonderful hobby.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
How about dont buy things that could expire, or that you may or may not get? Its like buying a lottery ticket

Common sense :)

You know, there's a lot of parallels in boxes. Low numbered stuff. Some of it of players like Biggio. Trust me, you want people buying wax at least. Even if it's got expired redemptions in it.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Did the product release date sneak up on Topps? Did Bryce Harper suddenly gain notoriety?

Expiration dates should be reserved for contest not sports cards. Redemption cards should never expire (as long as the company still operates) or not be included into products. How many cards are worthless by the time the cards go live. Redemptions hurt the consumer. I stopped buying them after I found out that Topps included redemption cards into products for people that were not under contract.

Did the product release date sneak up on Topps? Did Bryce Harper suddenly gain notoriety?

Expiration dates should be reserved for contest not sports cards. Redemption cards should never expire (as long as the company still operates) or not be included into products. How many cards are worthless by the time the cards go live. Redemptions hurt the consumer. I stopped buying them after I found out that Topps included redemption cards into products for people that were not under contract.

The most intelligent response in the thread right here.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Its funny how easy they make it to see

3 autos per box!!

yet redemption and redemption expiration dates are tricky to find... maybe they should be more honest and say -

2 autos per box and 1 iou*
*iou may be completely void, completely changed, or take 5 years

Either way I don't buy from Topps as I wasn't satisfied with the way they treat customers. Topps can do whatever they want I'm just not buying. Easy boycott considering how half baked their products are.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I don't really care for anything new. The 90's cards were some of the best looking cards to me and now there are way too many redemptions and 1 of 1 cards that if I collected a certain player it would be almost impossible to get them all unless you had were rich and had no concerns with money. Even the 90's have those impossible find cards and most of those are PC items now so finding them are impossible. If I collected nothing but Jeter in the 90's which I collected him since 1995 there would be not many I am missing from the 90's. I passed on way too many 1996 Mirror Golds that sold between $500.00 to $1500.00 all the way up to about 2009 and now I am paying the price for that even the Crusade Red Jeter had a Buy It Now for $350.00 years back that was up for 2 weeks before it sold I passed on. If I was smart that would have been mine fast. My last pack I bought was in 2011 and it was a Case of 2011 Topps Allen and Ginter. So Topps gets nothing from me if others did the same they would change but with tons of people still buying cards and no real competition why would they honor an expired redemptions. Redemptions will kill the hobby at some point I have heard so many people complain how long it took and or replacements.

I don't really care for anything new. The 90's cards were some of the best looking cards to me and now there are way too many redemptions and 1 of 1 cards that if I collected a certain player it would be almost impossible to get them all unless you had were rich and had no concerns with money. Even the 90's have those impossible find cards and most of those are PC items now so finding them are impossible. If I collected nothing but Jeter in the 90's which I collected him since 1995 there would be not many I am missing from the 90's. I passed on way too many 1996 Mirror Golds that sold between $500.00 to $1500.00 all the way up to about 2009 and now I am paying the price for that even the Crusade Red Jeter had a Buy It Now for $350.00 years back that was up for 2 weeks before it sold I passed on. If I was smart that would have been mine fast. My last pack I bought was in 2011 and it was a Case of 2011 Topps Allen and Ginter. So Topps gets nothing from me if others did the same they would change but with tons of people still buying cards and no real competition why would they honor an expired redemptions. Redemptions will kill the hobby at some point I have heard so many people complain how long it took and or replacements.

Life has been much less stressful for me since December.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I would rather purchase a card such as this than a box of new stuff that will probably get me very little return on my money, satisfaction of owning and a pissed off feeling when I realize I spent 75 bucks on something that I didnt even get close to in value after I opened up the packs.

bow179_zpszbdr4o4c.jpeg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I would rather purchase a card such as this than a box of new stuff that will probably get me very little return on my money, satisfaction of owning and a pissed off feeling when I realize I spent 75 bucks on something that I didnt even get close to in value after I opened up the packs.

bow179_zpszbdr4o4c.jpeg

Nice addition !

Ryan

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Didn't Topps just fulfill redemptions that people had been waiting on for 4 years? Someone explain to me how they came up with the 3-year rule? I guess Topps could complain that it requires some extra logistic and administrative support that compounds as they **** up more and more redemptions; but why does a number sitting in a database mean more than a proxy card sitting unfound in some box?