Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vintage and hall of fame patches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Nice work ! Should make Tony feel good it was a Gibson bat , though the 45 on it would of made it better. I tried looking for the Williams 24 but haven't found anything yet.

Ryan

Yeah, Tony should be thrilled! His card comes from a 1975 game used bat, and the auction shows that Gibson's full name is etched into the barrel as well. That ought to settle his woes :) I'm also researching to find something on both the Williams 24 piece and the Carew 10 piece. No luck yet, but I'm trying to think way outside the box keyword search wise.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008

Thank you so much Alex, your becoming a better detective than I am, lol. I searched for the auction for ever and couldn't find it. Now to find out who 36 is. It's either Santiago Guzman or Orlando Pena as those were the only 2 players in the 70s that wore 36 that were not white. This assuming that some whites still had issue with sharing with blacks.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Thank you so much Alex, your becoming a better detective than I am, lol. I searched for the auction for ever and couldn't find it. Now to find out who 36 is. It's either Santiago Guzman or Orlando Pena as those were the only 2 players in the 70s that wore 36 that were not white. This assuming that some whites still had issue with sharing with blacks.

In 1975 , you think ? Not to say it didn't happen , but I think it's a stretch to say there was an issue with black/whites sharing a bat. I would it would be John Denny. Only player in 75 w Gibson

Ryan

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
In 1975 , you think ? Not to say it didn't happen , but I think it's a stretch to say there was an issue with black/whites sharing a bat. I would it would be John Denny. Only player in 75 w Gibson

Ryan

You wouldn't think but I don't know if it would be more so a black person still being weary of sharing with white person or vise versa. I mean look at Hank Aaron and Willie mays, they still seem to have a little distain towards whites. I'm sure Gibbys teammates probably enjoyed his company but I'm sure it wasn't easy for Gibbys growing up. There was also still a lot of closet racism then. You could be right and maybe John Denny but I'm leaning more towards non white player. Bottom line is I don't really know, lol, and maybe won't ever know but it is good to see it came from a Gibby bat.

Ps. There was still a lot of racism into the early 90s ( still now but more hidden) especially in smaller towns so I'm gonna assume in the 70s it was still there pretty good.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
You wouldn't think but I don't know if it would be more so a black person still being weary of sharing with white person or vise versa. I mean look at Hank Aaron and Willie mays, they still seem to have a little distain towards whites. I'm sure Gibbys teammates probably enjoyed his company but I'm sure it wasn't easy for Gibbys growing up. There was also still a lot of closet racism then. You could be right and maybe John Denny but I'm leaning more towards non white player. Bottom line is I don't really know, lol, and maybe won't ever know but it is good to see it came from a Gibby bat.

Ps. There was still a lot of racism into the early 90s ( still now but more hidden) especially in smaller towns so I'm gonna assume in the 70s it was still there pretty good.

I understand , I'm not blind to the racism. Just not sure I'd exclude the possibility of it being a white player. I it is a 1975 bat , that's Gibbys last year there and Denny is the only 36 that would match up if it was a Cards player using it. Or it was used after 1975

Ryan

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Wow I didn't even notice two different teddy knobs. I posted one last night then when I woke up I couldn't believe I didn't notice the 24. Then wow they are different knob cards. This is crazy. I don't know what to think?

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
There is some truth to the carew being from the panama team but I can't be 100% sure. Then this williams pops up....this is very strange. I don't really have a answer either. Ahhhhhhhh topps!!!!!!

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Certainly very mysterious on the Teddy/Carew, would love if we were able to get some more information I'll do some digging as well. Sweet job by Alex locating the Gibby bat, goes to show that there are explanations for why a player's jersey # may not be on the knob.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Final Hammer:$1,283
Price Realized:$1,540

And to think the prices people ask for just the knob on a card.

I was just talking to some members about this in PM, I even found a Carew game used bat towards the later stage of his career that sold for $400. It was very modern looking but still, most times the bat barrel card and bat knob cards that come from it alone come to the final sale price of the bat.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I was just talking to some members about this in PM, I even found a Carew game used bat towards the later stage of his career that sold for $400. It was very modern looking but still, most times the bat barrel card and bat knob cards that come from it alone come to the final sale price of the bat.

Cards w/o any memorabilia that cost the company pennies to make sell for $1000s so you can't makes sense out of memorabilia cost vs card sales.

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The low final price is likely due to #45 being inked out.

Def , no disrespect to Tony , as it is still a Gibby , but the fact that's blacked out and other number is now on , makes it less desirable. That was also in 2008 and the market has increased since then for sure.

Ryan

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Mlbsalltimegreats is forsure on one thing. High end Gibson cards like jumbo flannel patches, barrels, knobs, buttons, are really rare! It is a cool card to own

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I'm going to get this going again with another twins legend kirby Puckett. Puckett stuff is fairly tough to get and it commands a big premium. Espically his ultra high end stuff. As most of you know I bought the 2014 national treasures puckett knob and it almost cost me as much as a Lou Gehrig knob! That is crazy but I was happy to have it. Would love to see other peoples Puckett stuff. I know there is another board member who has just as much Puckett stuff as me, and his stuff is proabaly better then mine.

Members online