Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bought my first Leaf card of the year... Whoops!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
So after buying Leaf Metal and Valiant singles last year, I decided that this year I would ignore both sets. I have built a sizable BDP stash and as the cards have dried up, I picked up a Valiant Orange auto off Beckett for just under ebay price with combined shipping. Or so I thought. The card came in today and I realized it is numbered to 99, rather than 25. Beckett did not have the serial number listed, and I assumed it is /25 - my fault. I checked ebay and realized that I must have assumed it is /25 because the cards were /25 last year. On the plus side, I do like the card. But why change it from the previous year??? Seems to me that such a move would only create frustration with no benefit. It didn't help that there are about 3 /25 parallels this year either, as I figured I was buying one of them.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Why is that relevant? Unless they're not all numbered the same, which would be even more confusing. If you can give me a good reason why the player matters, I'll lyk.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I have to agree. I think it would help the sets popularity if the parallels were tiered the same each year so that collectors build some familiarity and feel comfortable with the product.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Why is that relevant? Unless they're not all numbered the same, which would be even more confusing. If you can give me a good reason why the player matters, I'll lyk.

He might be able to provide you with some info or an explanation.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland

No reason to get defensive due to you not researching before buying said card. Which player was it?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

He might be able to provide you with some info or an explanation.

No reason to get defensive due to you not researching before buying said card. Which player was it?

Bear
I think BG was only asking so he could tell you why there maybe some numbered different from the year before. So just PM him the players name and see what he says.

Also I agree with Keyser Soze comment on keeping it the same from year to year.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I wish Topps would make up their mind about Bowman Chrome blue refractors - I've seen #'d/250, /199, /150, and /99. Drives me nuts.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Bear
I think BG was only asking so he could tell you why there maybe some numbered different from the year before. So just PM him the players name and see what he says.

Also I agree with Keyser Soze comment on keeping it the same from year to year.

It's probably the last thing I'd expect BG to ask, but the player is Jose Berrios. I just don't see why it matters and feel it may derail the issue at hand but whatever. I hope my experience helps BG create a better product in the future, but I feel like I've been duped by Leaf due to my own stupidity more than enough times.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I just don't understand how you were "duped"
I think it is obvious BG is heavilly involved with the secondary singles market, and he purposely did a year of ORANGE #'d/25, knowingly that he'd then secretly switched it the following year ORANGE #'d/99 so that he can get the three uninformed buyers to pay $10 for a $5 card. After fees, tax, etc...BG is probably netting $9.35 off all three of these uninformed buyers who don't really look or research much before they buy. And [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] just sits back and supports him...::facepalm::

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I think it is obvious BG is heavilly involved with the secondary singles market, and he purposely did a year of ORANGE #'d/25, knowingly that he'd then secretly switched it the following year ORANGE #'d/99 so that he can get the three uninformed buyers to pay $10 for a $5 card. After fees, tax, etc...BG is probably netting $9.35 off all three of these uninformed buyers who don't really look or research much before they buy. And @cgilmo just sits back and supports him...::facepalm::

This is one of the goofiest things I have ever read. Next time remember your sarcasm marks.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I am at Disney with the family and will check when I return on the 4th..

I asked because this years blues had 3 players to 99 while rest are 25..

I can tell you Valiant will NOT be a standalone product next year.. It will probably be an insert in metal..with some technical modifications at that..

BG

Ps- while I know you are frustrated, looking at eBay 99% or orange auctions show /99...

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I know Topps/Bowman never changes their parallel numbering on refs/blues. LOL. Bear they are all doing it. This is not exclusive to Leaf.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
You got duped due to your own lack of product knowledge.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I just don't understand how you were "duped"

You got duped due to your own lack of product knowledge.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

This is how I got duped the last two years of buying Leaf. I'm not much of a fan of Topps, but I don't recall this ever happening when I've purchased their products. I like that we have competition from Leaf in the market, but buying their product makes little sense as a prospector.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
This is how I got duped the last two years of buying Leaf. I'm not much of a fan of Topps, but I don't recall this ever happening when I've purchased their products. I like that we have competition from Leaf in the market, but buying their product makes little sense as a prospector.

Regardless of any feelings you might have, no one duped you.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Every year, topps increases the following print runs:

Topps gold
topps black
Heritage chrome
Heritage chrome refractors
Heritage minors black

And then they play around with bc blue refractors.

Don't blame leaf

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not saying it's Leaf's fault. I'm saying that I screwed up in choosing to purchase a Leaf card as a prospector. And that if Leaf didn't change up their product, this could have been avoided.

Even when Topps increases production, at least it's not as drastic, and even creative in the way they do it. What Leaf is doing doesn't help to establish its product imo.

Members online