Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Problem with collecting players like those is that if they're not worth anything now they'll never be worth anything. So if you get in a financial jam you can't really get your money back.

Yea, part of me thinks about this for Belle... not going to be something I pass down and it becomes a golden egg lol... O well... collect what you like and only do it if you enjoy it

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Problem with collecting players like those is that if they're not worth anything now they'll never be worth anything. So if you get in a financial jam you can't really get your money back.

Which is why I've gotten mostly out of my Auburn collection and back into mid-to-high end Maddux.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Which is why I should have gotten rid of my ARod collection year ago.

Instead I will keep collecting. (Sorry for the crappy pic.)

IMG_20120205_232617.jpg
IMG_20120205_232720.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well I wouldn't suggest collecting with financial gain in the future as a goal. Hell, in 20 years, baseball cards might start to die down anyways. And if gu ever gets its fair look under the investigative microscope, it might really hurt the hobby. I don't think it hurts 90's stuff but it would kill a lot of the value of a lot of collections. I have way more tied up in gu cards than I do in 90's inserts.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Yea, part of me thinks about this for Belle... not going to be something I pass down and it becomes a golden egg lol... O well... collect what you like and only do it if you enjoy it
I definitely Love My Collection More Than $$$ Sorry to say.............

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I know that I will never get more than what I have into my collection. No point in ever trying to sell to make a profit. Just aint gonna happen.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
Acquiring a personal collection piece by piece is a lot more fun than just owning a collection. If it wasn't for online message boards it would be even less fun, because you wouldn't get to see so many awesome collections. If Bill Gates started collecting vintage patch cards I'd gladly sell him my whole collection and find another hobby.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know that I will never get more than what I have into my collection. No point in ever trying to sell to make a profit. Just aint gonna happen.

He's talking about buying cards that will hold their value as opposed to paying premiums for rare cards of guys nobody really collects that you won't be able to move if you get in a personal financial pinch. Not about selling to make a profit.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
The way I see it...most of my coworkers go to the bar a few nights a week and spend about as much on alcohol as I do on cards for my PC. That's their hobby. At least I can see and hold my purchases days/weeks/years later. Their purchases leave them with nothing but a few hazy memories and bad headaches. Many people have hobbies like that that give them memories rather than something tangible that can be considered a "collectible". So even if some of these player collectors collect players who will never be in high demand, they should still be able to get at least SOME money back when they decide to sell.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i am pretty sure that my collection is worth more to me than making a profit. i sold off some once going through a divorce so starting all over again has made it all the more fun.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The way I see it...most of my coworkers go to the bar a few nights a week and spend about as much on alcohol as I do on cards for my PC. That's their hobby. At least I can see and hold my purchases days/weeks/years later. Their purchases leave them with nothing but a few hazy memories and bad headaches. Many people have hobbies like that that give them memories rather than something tangible that can be considered a "collectible". So even if some of these player collectors collect players who will never be in high demand, they should still be able to get at least SOME money back when they decide to sell.

Yeah, been there, done that, had that discussion. I was still looked down upon by my "friends". Needless to say, I waste far less on a hangover than they still do. If I want a hangover, I can do it for about $18 at home. While I surf ebay. And it's safer.

Members online

Latest posts