Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector of the Week- Mudflap02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
When I saw the title, Collector of the Week-Mudflap, I had a strange feeling in my throat, and my heartbeat raced. As I read this piece of Journalistic brilliance, I began crying, and sobbing like a tiny baby who watched sadly as his parent walked around the corner out of sight, and was suddenly euphoric like the same baby seeing the parent return. If I had an olive for every great article I read today, I'd have one olive thanks to you! Enough to make a martini, yet I don't drink. Ahhh, what to do with this olive..
Great piece, Eddie! Great collection, Mudflap! Love that this is back!!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Bravo on the "none more black."

Best part of the interview.

Eddie, great questions too. A great mix the of the necessary "boring" questions and a dash of flavorful questions specifically meant for Jeff. Although, [MENTION=2995]mudflap02[/MENTION], I was interested to see an official count of the black refractors and we never got one!

Awesome article overall. I really enjoyed it.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I remember trading 2001 Heritage commons for 2005 Heritage commons with Jeff back in '05. I brought all my extras from 2 boxes and he gave me a large box for me to find the ones I needed and return at a later time. I still have my '01 Master set and the Arod auto I pulled but have sold the 05 base set. I never cared much for Heritage after '01 but the 05s are very eye appealing. Good to see Jeff is still going at it.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It was really cool being picked because so often, the focus is on getting newer cards as opposed to enjoying the ones I already own. I'm really proud of the collection I've built over the last few years, even if I don't show it off with real life friends the way I do with internet friends. I would say that only 2 or 3 of my real friends even know that I collect cards.

Here are complete links to my scans, if anyone wants to take a look.

Topps Heritage Autos - 594 Different
Autographs Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

Topps Heritage Black Refractors - 965 DIfferent
Black Refractors Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

Topps Heritage Chrome Sets - 2001 through 2010 Complete, still working on 2011 and 2012
Chromes Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

Topps Heritage Refractor Sets - 2003 through 2010 Complete, still working on 2011 and 2012
Refractors Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

Topps Heritage Game Used Relics - 151 Different
Game Used Relics Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

Topps Heritage Stadium Seats - 39 Different
Stadium Seats Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

Topps Heritage Super Short Prints and Tinted Variations - 242 Different
Super Short Prints Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

Topps Heritage Promo Cards, Oddballs, and Weird Stuff
Promo And Oddball Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

2005 Finest Autos
2005 Topps Finest Autos Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

2005 Pack Wars Relic and Autograph Sets
2005 Topps Pack Wars Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

2011 Topps Lineage Autograph Set
2011 Topps Lineage Autographs Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

2006 and 2007 Topps '52 Autograph Sets
Topps 52 Autos Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

Jonny Gomes Player Collection (253 Cards, mostly Bowman Chrome RC Parallels and Bowman's Best RC Autos)
Jonny Gomes Photos by heritagetrade | Photobucket

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Had to throw in a couple more pics of my favorite cards.

2011CCDR-RW.jpg

2011toppsheritageCCDR-RW2.jpg

2011 Robinson/Wright Dual Patch. 2011 was the only year they have done patches in Heritage. It's hard to pick which of these I like more.

2009toppsamericanheritageHSDR-3.jpg

Topps American Heritage Ruth/Cobb Dual GU. The only card in my collection from the Topps American Heritage set, and one of my favorites. The result of a "trade" with another FCB member at the 2010 National. This would actually be the last card to leave my collection, along with the Al Dark on page 1.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
AS a non heritage collector it was nice to have someone explain the set.
Well done!

I didn't even realize heritage did patches, those are awesome.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Good read and it will be fun to see more of these articles.

I have to say that it caught me somewhat by surprise that you are "only" 32 years old! I guess I never thought about it but I guess with the name mudflap and a topps heritage collection I just figured you were one of the older members on here! ;)

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Mud, how glad are you that your not dealing with the 2013 Black Refractors?

Black Chrome Refractor 1:368

Just wait for the "Value Boxes" to hit in late summer! :cool:

And great job [MENTION=2394]tonsofcommons[/MENTION]! Really enjoyed it but the problem is that it makes the '01 Heritage box in one of our LCS even more attractive...

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Mud, how glad are you that your not dealing with the 2013 Black Refractors?

Black Chrome Refractor 1:368

Honestly, it's going to be nice to sit this one out for a while. I may end up doing the chrome, ref, and black ref sets every year, but I am done with wax and autos I think. I won't be actively looking for anything from 2013-on. I still don't understand why Johnny Bench and Andre Dawson are in this set. Heritage has definitely started with a strong model that attracted a lot of collectors. As a result, the cards sell very well. But I think the set has turned into something else completely, and there aren't nearly as many people collecting it. A scrub Heritage card might sell for $30 because a lot of people want it. As a result, a lot of people are opening it thinking "I can pull a $30 scrub card," looking to flip it. But the buyers for that card aren't as interested anymore, and I think we will see a big dropoff this year on the secondary market. Autos seem like they will be very common. I think after the first week or so, we will be looking at $10 and below for common Real One Autos.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Honestly, it's going to be nice to sit this one out for a while. I may end up doing the chrome, ref, and black ref sets every year, but I am done with wax and autos I think. I won't be actively looking for anything from 2013-on. I still don't understand why Johnny Bench and Andre Dawson are in this set. Heritage has definitely started with a strong model that attracted a lot of collectors. As a result, the cards sell very well. But I think the set has turned into something else completely, and there aren't nearly as many people collecting it. A scrub Heritage card might sell for $30 because a lot of people want it. As a result, a lot of people are opening it thinking "I can pull a $30 scrub card," looking to flip it. But the buyers for that card aren't as interested anymore, and I think we will see a big dropoff this year on the secondary market. Autos seem like they will be very common. I think after the first week or so, we will be looking at $10 and below for common Real One Autos.

i think you are spot on. there seems to be a trend with 2013 baseball wax in general. wait a few weeks, and the price drops. i think Heritage is a decent buy at $600 shipped, probably more like $575.

Members online

Latest posts