Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Items that players refuse to sign?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
What specific items are out there that certain players will refuse to sign?

I don't know of much, not too well schooled in it but for an example Mark McGwire won't sign anything with Jose Canseco on it.

Whether it's a specific card or item or whatever, what else will certain players not sign?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
From what I have heard, Willie Mays does not sign anything ***** League related...

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
In the SSPC contest [MENTION=1840]MaineMule[/MENTION] had a guy not sign the SSPC card because it was an illegal card

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The two that come to mind for me, only because they affected me personally because I wanted them:

Ron Kittle won't sign his 1984 Topps card, except for a charity donation of $25 to indiana Sports Charities (which is quite steep for a Kittle auto by itself). I actually got this info directly from Ron himself via Facebook. If you don't think of it as a purchase, but a donation and a free auto, then maybe it's easier to swallow.

Steve Garvey is reportedly not willing to sign his 1982 Fleer card. I'd like to hear directly from him some day and a reason why, but for now I have no reason. It is an ugly card in my opinion, but since I pretty much had every other base card (regular issue) signed by him already, this one stood out. I have 2 and they look good to me, but can't be 100% sure that he in fact signed them.

One other one I discovered, although they are out there. When I met Dave Stewart at a minor league game signing he attended a year or two ago, he told me that he would not to sign Rangers and Phillies cards. I didn't push the issue, but he was almost apologetic about it. I am not convinced otherwise that if I had asked nicely, he may have done it anyway. I was trying to get a couple cards signed for other people, so glad he didn't have that policy to not sign Dodger stuff. I ended up giving him a Dodgers Police card he seemed intrigued about (it may have been the SP card). Cool guy.

There are some good lists out there about other signers that I stumbled upon. I find it interesting as to why these players won't sign certain things or at all.

Members online

Latest posts