Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CONTEST - MrMopar's 2016 Baseball is Back - CLOSED - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
OK folks, this was a contest I ran for a number of years on The Bench. I stopped a few years ago and have decided to bring it back here. I hope you enjoy it, should you wish to participate. Read the rules carefully and think about your selection before you make it. NO EDITING ALLOWED. I want this to be fun, but I also think people need to slow down and read/understand what they are doing. You could be disqualified for your haste and inattention to detail with this contest. This keeps a fresh angle to the game. The sooner you guess, the more control you have over what you can pick as fewer selections have been made by that point. However, if you pick someone who later gets hurt, released or sent to the minors, then that is just a fact of the game. There is no crying in baseball!

The Contest:
Here is basically how it works. There will be 6 statistical categories to choose from, 3 hitting and 3 pitching. You may NOT pick a stat category that is not one of the 6 noted below. You are picking the one player and one stat that you feel is your best chance to lead the major leagues (not their own league only) by the all-star break. For example, let's say you select Clayton Kershaw and strikeouts. You are betting that Kershaw will be the overall MLB strikeout leader when the all-star break arrives. To add a new level to the game this time, I am also asking you to pick a number to go with the stat as well. Using the previous example, you now need to tell me how many strikeouts you believe Kershaw will have by the break. I also require that you define your guess so that is it clear. For example, if there are two players names Tim Johnson, you need to clarify which one you are selecting. This eliminates any confusion over players with the same names, no first names listed, etc. I will then cut and paste your answer to the tracking post (post 2), so those guessing can see what has already been selected as we go. This will be updated by me when I have time, so you are responsible to check for new guesses between updates or risk disqualification by posting duplicate answers as another member or editing your answer.

Required answer format:
Member Name - Player (Team) - Stat (total)
Mrmopar - Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers) - Wins (14)

The finalists are those who correctly guess a player who leads the majors in a statistical category. Tie breakers will then be the exact stat quantity (closest to the exact amount) and if all else fails to produce a clear winner, the first person who posted their guess among those logging a correct answer will be declared the winner. Multiple members may guess the same player and stat combo, but you must have a different stat amount, otherwise the first guesser will always default as the winner. It is possible that nobody selects the right player/stat combo, but in all the years that I have hosted this contest, that has never happened.

The Basic Rules:
1) Each member gets to select any one player and any one of 6 qualifying statistical categories and a grand total for that stat only. Follow the REQUIRED ANSWER FORMAT.
2) Selections may NOT be edited after they are made. If the post shows editing, it will be disqualified. That includes guessing the same as someone else.
3) Members in good standing only may participate (Not sure if that even applies here, but if you are suspended or banned for any reason, you can't play and especially can't win).
4) I reserve the right to make any final decisions should there me any confusion or if a decision is needed to clear things up.
5) Any qualifying guesses must be made prior to the first pitch of the first official league game of the 2016 season. Entries date stamped after first pitch will be disqualified.

The Statistical Categories:

Batting
Hits (H)
Home Runs (HR)
Runs batted In (RBI)

Pitching
Wins (W)
Strikeouts (K)
Saves (S)

The Prize:
The winner will receive a prize package made by me, most likely a priority flat rate box filled with baseball collectibles. I will try to customize it to your specific collecting interests, but keep in mind that this is for fun, free to you and you get what I give you. I generally don't buy new products (packs/boxes), so most of what you will receive will be older items. Play because you want to have fun, not for the prize!! Good luck to all and if there are any questions, either PM me for post them to the thread and I'll answer them as soon as I am able.

NEW PRIZE ADDED - PRESENTATION TBD - $50 EBAY GIFT CARD COURTESY OF THE FCB STAFF

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
TRACKING POST - CURRENT GUESSES

REQUIRED ANSWER FORMAT:
Member name - Player name (Team) - Statistical Category (Stat total)

For example:
Mrmopar - Babe Ruth (Yankees) - RBI (67)

CURRENT GUESSES:
Hawk8 - Kris Bryant (Cubs) - RBI (68)
deujr61 - Adam Wainwright (Cardinals) - W (11)
Therion - Jose Altuve (Astros) - H (108)
yanks2151 - Starlin Castro - (Yankees) - H (97)
Zlpeterson - Jake Arrieta (Cubs) - W (13)
gogosox40 - Jose Abreu (White Sox) - HR (22)
AmishDave - David Price (Red Sox) - K (122)
corockies - Nolan Arenado (Rockies) - HR (44)
mlbsalltimegreats - Albert Pujols (Angels) - HR (31)
game****fanatic - Bryce Harper (Nationals) - HR (34)
Metallicalex777 - Felix Hernandez (Mariners) - W (12)
Tzvih123 - Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers) - K (157)
robertwolf1 - Chris Sale (White Sox) - K (142)
Trizzo22 - Anthony Rizzo (Cubs) - RBI (62)
Keyser Soze - Ken Giles (Astros) - S (26)
joey12508 - CC Sabathia (Yankees) - W (14)
Y4NK335 - Mike Trout (Angels) - HR (27)
Psj - Andrew Miller (Yankees) - S (24)
JEBJJA - David Price (Red Sox) - K (164)
Johnny G - Jeurys Familia (Mets) - S (47)
Gwynn545 - Nelson Cruz (Mariners) - HR (23)
Greg Cleveland - Brian Dozier (Twins) - H (127)
Dazed - Wade Davis (Royals) - S (31)
RStadlerASU22 - Paul Goldschmidt (DBacks) - HR (24)

Last edited:

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
Sounds fun!!

Eric Townsend Predictions:

H - Jose Altuve 116
HR - Giancarlo Stanton 27
RBI - Josh Donaldson 72
K - Jose Fernandez 158
W - Carlos Carrasco 13
SV - Mark Melancon 28

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Will post guesses tomorrow but it only took one list to not follow the format, impressive ;)

Ryan

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Mine is more wishful thinking:

yanks2151 - Starlin Castro - (Yankees) - Hits - (97)

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'll bite:

AmishDave - David Price (Red Sox) - 122 (Strikeouts)

Thanks for the contest !

Members online

Latest posts