Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed (only up to page 575 of this awesome thread), but does anyone know whether or not the 1995 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle inserts also have a variation with the dufex finish on BOTH sides? Baseballcardpedia says this...

Team Pinnacle

This nine-card set showcases Pinnacle's picks for the game's top players -- an American Leaguer on the front, and a National Leaguer on the back. All cards were intentionally issued with two variations, whereby one side of the card or the other had the Dufex effect.
TP1 G. Maddux/M. Mussina
TP2 M. Piazza/C. Delgado
TP3 F. Thomas/J. Bagwell
TP4 R. Alomar/C. Biggio
TP5 C. Ripken/O. Smith
TP6 T. Fryman/M. Williams
TP7 K. Griffey/B. Bonds
TP8 A. Belle/D. Justice
TP9 T. Gwynn/K. Puckett

...however, I've heard rumors in the past that dual dufex variations may exist. Can anyone confirm that? Don't want to be chasing a ghost.

Have you seen or met someone who owns a dual dufex version? This is the first I've heard of this possible variation. From my experience, when I was searching for a dufex-sided Griffey between 1995-2000, I only came across one-sided versions and in my encounters, never heard from any dealer/collector about a dual-sided. However, this would be a pretty cool variation.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Good way to finish off 2014. A big thanks to gradedeflator for assisting in getting this private transaction started. If time permits I may make a thread with pertinent backstory with theories about how these two cards exist...

Very interesting. Have you seen or know of any other players with multiple copies of their Masterpiece from 1998 Ultra? What about '99 or '00?

I'm aware of the 1998 Fleer Showcase Row 0 uncut sheets being backdoored and tampered with; looks like the same may have happened with this set, which seems likely given that it occurred in the basketball set.

Also, what if one of these was a damage replacement that was actually printed but backdoored? Would enjoy hearing your theories.

Jan 14, 2009
WOW, how did I miss that?! There's a big Fullmer collector with the last name of Fullmer. I hope he got it.

I've been on-again-off-again collecting him since 1996 or so. This was one of those cards that I figured I'd never see in my lifetime but would have absolutely fought for it if it were to have come up. Was hoping someone here grabbed it and was willing to part with it.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I've been on-again-off-again collecting him since 1996 or so. This was one of those cards that I figured I'd never see in my lifetime but would have absolutely fought for it if it were to have come up. Was hoping someone here grabbed it and was willing to part with it.

Are you collecting his 98 Teks? If so, the 1998 Tek thread can help.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed (only up to page 575 of this awesome thread), but does anyone know whether or not the 1995 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle inserts also have a variation with the dufex finish on BOTH sides? Baseballcardpedia says this...

[h=3]Team Pinnacle[/h]This nine-card set showcases Pinnacle's picks for the game's top players -- an American Leaguer on the front, and a National Leaguer on the back. All cards were intentionally issued with two variations, whereby one side of the card or the other had the Dufex effect.
TP1 G. Maddux/M. Mussina
TP2 M. Piazza/C. Delgado
TP3 F. Thomas/J. Bagwell
TP4 R. Alomar/C. Biggio
TP5 C. Ripken/O. Smith
TP6 T. Fryman/M. Williams
TP7 K. Griffey/B. Bonds
TP8 A. Belle/D. Justice
TP9 T. Gwynn/K. Puckett

...however, I've heard rumors in the past that dual dufex variations may exist. Can anyone confirm that? Don't want to be chasing a ghost.

I wasn't aware of a variation to begin with. I thought one side had foil and the other did not. So basically Bagwell has two versions...plus possibly a third?

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I wasn't aware of a variation to begin with. I thought one side had foil and the other did not. So basically Bagwell has two versions...plus possibly a third?

i was fairly sure that these have been discussed at length in the past with the consensus being that there was actually only one version per card and that the dufex-back version listed by beckett didn't actually exist - let alone a double-dufex version....

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014

Variation 1: Griffey dufex/bonds foil
Variation 2: Griffey foil/bonds dufex
Variation 3??

The same should apply to Bagwell/Thomas.

i was fairly sure that these have been discussed at length in the past with the consensus being that there was actually only one version per card and that the dufex-back version listed by beckett didn't actually exist - let alone a double-dufex version....

There are definitely 2 versions of the Griffey/bonds bc I have both - one version with a dufex-sided Griffey and another with a dufex-sided bonds. I can't speak about the other players, bc I don't have other copies besides the Griffey/bonds, but I would assume the same applies to all others also.

Anyone else heard of/seen a double-sided dufex?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX

Here are the old COMC images from when I purchased them in February of 2010. I love that they save pictures.

Frank-Thomas-Jeff-Bagwell.jpg
Frank-Thomas-Jeff-Bagwell.jpg

Missing.jpg
Missing.jpg

ripken8

Nov 11, 2013
I have both versions of the Thomas/Bagwell card.

I have both versions of the Ripken/Smith so I can confirm those two variations exist for that card as well. I've never seen a dual-sided dufex of any player combo. However, I first heard of their possible existence from a collector many years ago who specialized in rare oddballs, variations, test issues and errors. The memory is a little fuzzy at this point, but he had reason to believe at least some of the cards were produced with dufex on both sides possibly as a proof of sorts...one card to demonstrate the dufex finish for both players vs. having two separate proof cards. I didn't really think much about it at the time to ask for more details, why he believed they existed, etc. It's only now, after years of fruitless searching, that I wish I did ask more questions and am starting to think something like this may not exist. I figure if the collective expertise of this board has never heard/seen a dual-sided dufex variation, then it would probably make sense to remove it from my checklist until proof would surface.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's 14A, P-18. Very nice in hand (just got it today), except for the refractor line.

And it is a PC card, but not for me! For whom, I don't know yet.
I do have that one already in the PC but appreciate the heads up before it went to eBay :)

Also, I would change the title of your listing because there is an E at the end of BELL ;)

Albert BELLE

Members online