Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Last Year's Bowman Draft Kris Bryant Autos Found in Bowman Inception (EDIT-And Bowman Platinum)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I think you confuse a lack of hobby knowledge with a lack of care about secondary value. Topps simply doesn't think about what will piss consumers off about products already released. They want people to talk about Inception and wonder about what may be seeded in upcoming products. It will piss some people off, but I GUARANTEE you that this was discussed at Topps HQ when this decision was made. The problem is that Topps knows how short of a memory the hobby has. It seems that pissing wax busters off doesn't stop them from busting wax.

Does a crack dealer worry about pissing of the baseheads? Nope. Pump out the product and they will buy it.

true, even Nino and Gee Money knew when they had Pookie on the hook.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'll take a different perspective... they got the card out, added value to inception boxes, set completists can finish off 2013 Bowman Draft (it sucks that there is no 2006 Henry Sanchez, etc., which were on the checklist and not released because they didn't get signatures), and Lucky Redemptions still hold value as parallels to the base card. It is still going to be considered his true first auto.

Yes it sucks for those that bought 2013 Draft hoping to get this card out of a pack, but they were able to get the lucky redemptions. I'm not sure why it sucks that they aren't for Polanco or other guys... there is no guarantee on WHO would have been released for the lucky redemptions in the first place. Plus, polanco already has a true BC RC AU. Sure, Tanaka would have been nice, but there was no guarantee they ever would have made an auto of his as one of the redemptions anyway.

I'm happy to see this card got made and packed out.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Regardless of how us hobbyists feel about it, isn't Topps now playing fast and loose with MLB's rules for rookies and what not? I can only assume that the rules that MLB gave Topps, allowing them exclusivity, are either non-existant of MLB just really doesn't care what Topps does and all the arguments they gave in 2005 were ********.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Regardless of how us hobbyists feel about it, isn't Topps now playing fast and loose with MLB's rules for rookies and what not? I can only assume that the rules that MLB gave Topps, allowing them exclusivity, are either non-existant of MLB just really doesn't care what Topps does and all the arguments they gave in 2005 were ********.

This is a prospect insert, not a base rookie card.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I guess my point is, that must litterally be the ONLY rule.

The whole RC rule only applies to the base set. If Bryant were card #1 in Bowman Chrome then Topps would be breaking the rules they have with MLB since he hasn't made his MLB debut yet. This card is an autograph insert and Topps can make as many of these in as many products as they want pre-call up for any player.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
51741046.jpg

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
6. Set collectors like myself are screwed, because now our 2013 Draft sets are incomplete. And I'm sure the "new" one will be $500+
7. Everyone who bought 2013 Sterling Bryant's thinking this is his only '13 card. Myself included...

Count me in as falling under #6 and #7 on your list.

My 2 cents (sorry if long-winded):
I feel bad for the folks who shelled out big bucks for a 2014 chrome auto. Whether they want to admit it to themselves or not, the long-term value of their purchase is now damaged before Bryant’s long-term performance even has a chance to determine what that value will be.

I didn’t buy a 2014 chrome auto as I felt it was a 2nd-year card from the beginning. I did, however, spend money on a few 2013 Sterling parallels. Like most collectors, I have the restraint and common sense to limit my spending on just those cards that I want to have in my collection. The release of these new chrome autos just rubs me the wrong way, as now I’m looking at my Sterling parallels and wish I could’ve spent that money on a 2013 chrome draft auto card instead. Whether these “new” autos have a 1st Bowman logo or not, whether they were released last year or this year, or whether there are fewer 2014s vs. 2013s or more, it doesn’t matter. I personally view these chrome draft autos coming from Bowman “Deception” as Bryant’s card-to-get. And that’s what bothers me about this move by Topps. Like I said, I budget myself and this is the second time that Topps has made me feel bad about a purchase. The first time was when they decided to send me a “made-up” autograph of Gary Sheffield instead of the card that I spent good money on wanting to have (redemption was for a 1/1 RC).

I’m seriously thinking about taking a year hiatus from purchasing anything new because it’s just getting ridiculous. Maybe in 2015 I can pick up what I want from this year, and in 2016 I can get what I want from 2015, etc. It will (hopefully) give Topps the time they want to finish all of their “trickery” ******** when it comes to card releases without affecting my wallet or hobby enjoyment. It probably won’t work though, because there is probably more stupidity to come. How about an unannounced release of a 2 year-old card now? Or a 3 year-old card? Or 4? Hell, while we’re at it let’s put out a 2001 Mark Teixeira draft auto, or a 2002 Prince fielder, etc.

What ever happened to putting out a checklist and sticking to it? From inserting redemptions that were never going to be made to begin with to now after-the fact, unannounced releases…it sucks.

The Collector

Feb 11, 2014
California
I own neither, but would prefer the '14 version with the "1st Bowman Card" printed on it (I still don't understand why they left that off the 2013 Draft cards). Having said that, these 2014 Inception/Chrome autos should have been in 2013 Draft or not at all.

The whole thing just sets a weird precedent for future stuff. Obviously a business move to pump sales on a struggling(?) product (never touched Inception before, not sure if it's good or bad). I'd bet $ there will be color parallels in future 2014 releases.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
I would think if they do this more than this time with any top prospect, especially one with all the hype and MILB performance as Bryant, the value of these cards would seriously devalue over time. Perhaps not for wax breakers, but for rookie card collectors definitely. It may even create an opportunity for Leaf. Leaf may not be officially licensed but at least they don't pull this crap. It pisses me off that they pulled this deal though, underhanded.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
One of the reasons why base prospects started falling in price was because people assumed that player would eventually have an auto at some point.

So will collectors start to assume topps will do this trickery to other prospects?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
If hobby history holds true, the 2014 should plummet in value. How will that make topps' customers feel towards them?

"Hobby History" = "Prospecting" here. Yep, the vast majority of prospect cards plummet in value.

So glad I stay away from the shallow end of the collecting pool, where the kiddies and creepy guys congregate. ;)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
2nd only to this in the head shaking department is the fact that Topps created an entire set around and wasted another annual release on what amounts to nothing more than an outdated photoshop technique that no one wants 3 months later

rachie

Jun 4, 2014
rummor has it that there are 1000-1500 of the base bryant autos in the inception product.

Stand by for a price correction as it floods ebay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts