Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I think Mo is going to break Tom Seaver's HOF % record

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Any and all bias aside, there aren't too many "lock" HOFers that could potentially get 100% of the vote outside Mo....Maddux....Griffey...maybe Jeter....

Randy Johnson is on there too IMO...300 wins, just over 3.00 career ERA, almost 5000 Ks, 5 Cy Youngs including 4 straight, and won a World Series

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Randy Johnson is on there too IMO...300 wins, just over 3.00 career ERA, almost 5000 Ks, 5 Cy Youngs including 4 straight, and won a World Series

Yes, I agree. I have no clue why anyone would not vote for The Big Unit. It sounds petty but some writers do not like players that bounce around from team to team.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Well Griffey broke Seaver's record first, but in my mind I always knew Mo had a shot at being the first 100%er

Could not have happened to a better person.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Regardless of how you feel about closers Rivera was as dominant as any pitcher. Maybe he played for great teams that inflated his save total, maybe one inning at time isn't as difficult as going through a lineup several times but he essentially threw one pitch...and people still couldn't hit it. Every batter knew what they would see for the most part and he still dominated them. Hes a unanimous hall of famer, the fact that he is the first one is laughable but even though I spent his entire career hating him as a Sox fan, I'm happy for him.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
What no one has mentioned is that there are some voters who, even when they like the guy and feel he deserves to be in the HOF, won't use their vote on a shoe-in candidate like Mo. Instead, they will vote for 10 other guys on their ballot and try to get their marginal favorites more votes. Between those types of voters and the voters that won't vote for any first ballot player, no one gets 100%.

And then the voters evolve - and he gets the unanimous vote! Maybe there's hope for the system.

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think this opens the door for future unanimous elections being easier, if that's the right word, namely Jeter. Writers have now demonstrated that it's ok to vote for the shoe-in, that using that slot for down-ballot activism is not necessary, that you can be big enough to overlook that slight when he didn't answer your question after a bad beat in 2002, or whatever. I'm still ticked at the three ding-dongs who didn't vote for Griffey.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I completely agree with Rivera getting 100% of the votes. I mean, like duh. But I also agreed with Griffey getting 100%, however some whack jobs thought otherwise.

Nothing against Rivera, but the 100% vote is much, much more a reflection of the times and the voters than it is on him. For god's sake, freaking Cobb, Ruth, Musial, Mays, Schmidt, Maddux, Griffey, yada yada didn't get 100%. It's a positive manifestation of the same "watering down" that had the negative manifestation of letting Harold Baines in. Great guy, not a hall of famer. Sorry!

Anyway, the times are definitely changing. We have "opener" pitchers starting games, and nobody gives a sht about Wins or RBI anymore, and Harold Baines has the same plaque in Cooperstown as Walter Johnson. It is what it is. But congrats to Rivera. 100% had to happen sometime, and it couldn't have happened to a better pitcher, or a better guy.

I think this opens the door for future unanimous elections being easier, if that's the right word, namely Jeter. Writers have now demonstrated that it's ok to vote for the shoe-in, that using that slot for down-ballot activism is not necessary, that you can be big enough to overlook that slight when he didn't answer your question after a bad beat in 2002, or whatever. I'm still ticked at the three ding-dongs who didn't vote for Griffey.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
There should be multiple people that were unanimous. I still can't fathom Cy Young didn't make 1st ballot. And voters didn't even vote for Rickey. Nolan should have been 100%. Babe Ruth 100%. There are no doubters.

Members online