Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Panini Announcement. The chatter confirmed as correct.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
So Topps football dies in 2015...end of an era.

nah, it's Topps we're talking about. Never an end to an era.

If they get the license back in 2026 or beyond, they'll flood the market with "Topps, the lost years" factory sets and other themed products covering 2016 to the year the license is reobtained.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I really hope that the .50/cent a pack thing / focus resources on kids is true and not talk.

It's talk. You aren't going to be releasing 50 cent football card packs unless you are going to take a bath on the product to do so or each pack only contains a card or two like those Panini special packs they use as incentives to move almost worthless product from dealer shelves.

If you want 50 cent football packs, strap a booster rocket to a pig since it'll only happen when pigs fly. ;)

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It's talk. You aren't going to be releasing 50 cent football card packs unless you are going to take a bath on the product to do so or each pack only contains a card or two like those Panini special packs they use as incentives to move almost worthless product from dealer shelves.

If you want 50 cent football packs, strap a booster rocket to a pig since it'll only happen when pigs fly. ;)

I don't expect .50 but I hope they hit price points of $1 or even take hits to the wallet to promote collecting to kids or they will be in trouble before their 10 years is up, as they won't have any market to continue with

Ryan

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
if they can do $1 packs even and market it right they can expand the category and bring in the kids. Let us see if they walk the talk.

One would think , but in the last decade-15 years I think they have lost sight on the future which will only hurt them (manufactures) long term

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If they make a product like Topps Total, I'm all in.

they used to - it was the only NFL product I've busted from boxes to build a set and not bought as factory sets like my traditional yearly topps football factory set.

as to this thread, I wonder if we all have been commenting on it wrong. The more and more press I read about this deal, it mentions it's a deal with the NFLPA and not the NFL equivalent of MLB Properties. If I understand how things are done in football, it means at this point topps can release logo'ed cards, they just might have a problem coming up with a checklist since I assume the NFLPA bans athletes who are in the union from signing with Topps or other manufs for trading cards when the NFLPA already has a trading card contract that covers those athletes.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I understand the "dead horse" kids thing. But that doesn't mean it isn't very important to any long term success of the hobby. If the companies want to be short sighted and not feel it as an issue then they will pay for it down the road. Again , I'm not blind to the fact they don't and probably won't , but it is important and when a company comes out in a press release stating that they have interest in doing just that , then it would be nice for them to follow through.

Ryan

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Some very information posts here, first time I've ever seen the actual dollars involved, way higher than I would have thought.

Two more questions:

Does Panini now have a limit placed on how many products they can make each year?

And is there any chance Topps could put out 4 or 5 non-logo'd products just to keep the continuity going? Base, Chrome, Bowman, mid and high range sets?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Does Panini now have a limit placed on how many products they can make each year?

And is there any chance Topps could put out 4 or 5 non-logo'd products just to keep the continuity going? Base, Chrome, Bowman, mid and high range sets?

According to the Darren Rovell story that was linked here (probably on page 2), it says Topps and Panini currently have 17 releases, but the new agreement starting in 2016 allows Panini to increase that number and try more "out of the box" things. Not specifically said in the article but I would ASSume that there is still a maximum number -- i.e. Panini won't be allowed to do unlimited releases -- but it's going to be some number higher than the current 17.

As for Topps, I don't see why they won't be able to do logo'ed products, they just might have a tough time getting a checklist because of the NFLPA, unless a active player can have trading cards with their NFLPA membership and then legally contract with a company like Topps that would cover making trading cards of them outside of the NFLPA license.

Topps may have an easier time making retired player products with logos unless even the retired players are covered by the NFLPA as part of a retirement arrangement.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
I have no real problems with Panini. But I DETEST these exclusive deals. All it does is remove choices from the consumer. And that's never a good thing.

But alas, we seem to be stuck with these deals for awhile...

I'm with this.. But also, with Topps having the MLB license exclusively, it gives Panini a chance to really thrive. Don't they also have a exclusive NBA license?

I would still prefer the market to be open to others and/or all.. Topps, Panini, and any other companies offerings although I can't really think of any besides Leaf and Sage.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Annnnnnnd another reason for me to lose interest in the hobby. Panini sucks ass. Hate their football cards.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm with this.. But also, with Topps having the MLB license exclusively, it gives Panini a chance to really thrive. Don't they also have a exclusive NBA license?

Yep, Panini is the exclusive NBA card maker.

All four leagues now have Exclusive deals, with UD having Hockey to go along with their NCAA deal for football and basketball...

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Annnnnnnd another reason for me to lose interest in the hobby. Panini sucks ass. Hate their football cards.

yeah, but the players (and their associates)have to love signing tiny stickers instead of hand signing cards themselves. could get to see a lot more autograph changes in the next decade or so..

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008

They've actually got some pretty cool looking cards man. I'll admit their base cards are for shame in football and basketball. But they have really sweet inserts.

Members online

Latest posts