Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The only way to do a dual cut/non-cut right (IMHO of course)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
(edit: somehow managed to post this in another thread when I meant to start a new thread... here's the new thread lol)

I would love to show a scan but unfortunately I don't know that such a thing exists...

Over the years we've seen a million on-card signatures, as well well as tons of cut (and sticker) signatures. While some may prefer one type over the other, I think that most would agree that you can find nice examples of each. On the other hand, I do not recall a single example of a dual cut/non-cut that ever really appealed to me.

I think there's only one really important criteria to make such a card work, and that is symmetry and balance. Looking at the example below (to me) it's quite simple why it does not look that great. One side has a gorgeous design and picture of the player and a signature signed in gold ink. The other side is a very large blue signature in a frame with no picture. While it pairs two all-time great center fielders, it is just not a very appealing card (same could be said of other cards in the set, including the Babe Ruth.

Now the challenge for this is that this means that a lot more must be considered when purchasing the autographs including the size of the autograph, the paper it is written on etc. That said, I think that if someone ever did this right we could see some really nice looking cards that combine players with those who have already passed on. (Whether it may just be better to have the living player sign an index card or something and make it a dual cut is something I could hear both sides on...)

(Edit: Note that the card below sold for around $500 while a 1/1 Ichiro auto's in the set (similar to just the Ichiro side of this card) sold for $850. It could easily be argued that the Mays autograph actually hurt the value of the card dramatically.)

$_57.JPG

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
This may not fit the category but I always liked the look of the 2005 UD Signature Edition cut autographs. These photos are from Beckett, but I believe are pictures of the actual cards as all of the mock up ones are blank:

Derek Jeter/Don Mattingly/Mickey Mantle/Babe Ruth quad autograph cut 1/1:
front.jpg
back.jpg

Frank Robinson/Harmon Killerbrew/Jimmie Foxx triple autograph cut 1/1 (notice how they even cut the back of the card to ensure the full auto of Jimmie Foxx could fit):
front2.jpg
back2.jpg

Cal Ripken Jr/Honus Wagner dual autograph cut 1/1:
front1.jpg
back1.jpg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Alex,

I agree that those are pretty nice, in fact they were the one's I was thinking of when I considered posting some. That said, even on those we are forced to ignore partially cut off signatures, and backgrounds with different colors. It may be a little more challenging and expensive to get a Foxx cut on white paper, but how much nicer that card look if all the signatures had the same color background. Or, if that's all you have, why not get the modern players to sign a couple of slips of paper that are that color and build that into the card. I am very confident that in most cases, the difference in price for the cut will be more than made up for by the aesthetics, which will lead to higher prices. Collectors want cards they can look at and appreciate without being annoyed about some element (we are an anal bunch aren't we lol). That attention to detail could make a huge difference IMO.
[MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION] I don't know that any of the other companies care enough to do so, but I know this is your passion. (No offense intended on the Ichiro/Mays, there are certainly far worse looking examples on the market, but I felt like with the quality Leaf had going on in that set, these stood out as the weakest link.)

Members online