Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you do when a ebay member buys a highend card with 0 feedback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I woke up this morning to see someone bought my extra 1996 Select Certified Mirror Blue Jeter card for $2,000.00 and I was happy at first till I see the guy opened up a account today and has a 0 feedback not to mention he is from Hong Kong. I know it's only been a few hours but I feel he will not pay and is doing this to mess with people. I guess I will find out soon enough but as of now he hasn't paid and I plan on changing my settings if he doesn't pay to where if you have a 0 feedback you will not be able to bid on my items. What are the odds he will pay for the item?

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Yes, I would be concerned. I had the same thing happen one time on a Michael Phelps autos I sold. The guy paid 700 when at the time it was really only around a $400 card. I let him know that I couldn't go forward with the transaction as he had zero feedback. He said that was fine but would I mind leaving him positive feedback. Is the Jeter worth 2K? If so, then I would cancel relist until you have a better buyer. Actually either way it isn't worth the stress you will have shipping a 2K card to a buyer with zero feedback in Hong Kong. JMO

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I would say it's close to that price and I would make him sign for it. I am not shipping to him directly as he is using the Global Shipping Program honestly if he doesn't pay by the morning I will contact ebay and ask them what I should do as I am also not trying to pay for final vale fees on something I didn't sell.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I do not have an answer for you but I hope someone offers you good advice about this. It drives me nuts that sellers have to go through this. I hope it all works out. Good luck!

Jhileman79

Nov 28, 2014
Chris I am still waiting on my 99 Star Rubies to be paid for. I opened a case last week and still haven't heard from seller, who has bought cards before. I am closing case tomorrow and will send out 2nd chance. Hopefully your buyer pays, give him 3 days then open a case. Also, send him an email to see when he plans to pay and tell him your concerns.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I think whatever the feedback is, mailing a $ 2000 dollar card overseas is risky JMO.

I understand the risk but if he has to sign for the card and files a claim the odds are ebay will favor the seller especially if the buyer has a 0 feedback and claims to not get the card. I will go the full process to protect myself as well where I will video tape myself at the post office putting the card in the package and paying for shipping and insurance so he will lose that if he wants to file a claim. You have to cover yourself and I am not giving the card up for free but his window to pay is going to be short. But seeing this happen I will end up making it where you have to have a 10 feedback before you can bid or buy an item from me. I am very concerned so I will take every precaution possible. But he did put the Buy It Now price so I have to honor it.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Did you give a payment timeframe in the auction? Are you taking into account the difference in time zones (he could be sleeping as you are worrying)? Did you send him an email congratulating him for winning the auction and asking politely that since he is a new bidder with no feedback, you just want to make sure things go smoothly and ask him when you can expect payment and what you can do to ensure a positive transaction? You are wise to take video and cover yourself in all ways, but communicating with the buyer should be a higher priority than communicating with us.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I think whatever the feedback is, mailing a $ 2000 dollar card overseas is risky JMO.

I'm pretty sure the eBay Global Shipping Program was supposed to be the fix for this. I think that once it's received at their shipping hub, the seller has fulfilled his obligations. The seller needs to call eBay and verify this IF the buyer ever pays, which I highly doubt will happen.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I'm pretty sure the eBay Global Shipping Program was supposed to be the fix for this. I think that once it's received at their shipping hub, the seller has fulfilled his obligations. The seller needs to call eBay and verify this IF the buyer ever pays, which I highly doubt will happen.

I wasn't sure how that works, thanks for the info..

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
I did send him an email and there is a time difference so that's why I am going to wait it will be 36 hours to 40 hours by the time I would be looking to cancel unless he writes me back. I really just want some communication first but will protect myself just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I did send him an email and there is a time difference so that's why I am going to wait it will be 36 hours to 40 hours by the time I would be looking to cancel unless he writes me back. I really just want some communication first but will protect myself just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

IF he pays, I would call eBay and ask two questions:

1) As a seller, does the Global Shipping Program protect me from mail being lost abroad?
2) Am I protected if this guy gets the item, claims it is not as described and files a return, but mails me back something other than my card?

I sold a used iPhone a few months ago, and the buyer filed a claim stating that Wifi and some other things didn't work, which I knew to not be true, however, I agreed to the return. Paypal placed a hold on my $125. I get the return package and it only contains a cheap plastic iPhone case, so the guy was trying to pull a fast one on me. I immediately called Paypal and told them of what happened, and they immediately ruled in my favor and released the hold on my $125 and, I assume, didn't give him his refund. BUT..... would they do the same thing in the case of a $2000 item? That's what you have to find out before mailing that item.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
I'd either cancel this and relist as North America only, or use something like COMC.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
In all honesty is it worth the stress? It is a great card that I am sure you could sell to someone who happens to be more solid of a buyer? I am not saying that just because someone who has feedback couldn't still be shady, but I wouldn't chance it. IDK, but usually your first gut reaction is right. If you are already questioning what to do, maybe go with your gut.
The facts.... No feedback, account just opened a day ago and already buys a 2K card from another country? Seems to me like this person has been watching your card, has another account probably and is trying to pull a fast one. JMO but seems shady. Would your first purchase on eBay be a 2 thousand dollar card from another country as your first purchase?

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
In all honesty is it worth the stress? It is a great card that I am sure you could sell to someone who happens to be more solid of a buyer? I am not saying that just because someone who has feedback couldn't still be shady, but I wouldn't chance it. IDK, but usually your first gut reaction is right. If you are already questioning what to do, maybe go with your gut.
The facts.... No feedback, account just opened a day ago and already buys a 2K card from another country? Seems to me like this person has been watching your card, has another account probably and is trying to pull a fast one. JMO but seems shady. Would your first purchase on eBay be a 2 thousand dollar card from another country as your first purchase?

Exactly.

Someone else will step up and buy this card. No need to chance it.

Jun 30, 2010
Even though we want to believe the best in people keep this in mind. You are selling to someone who you have never met, they have never bought anything at all on ebay and their first transaction is for 2000.00 AND they live in another country. Cancel the transaction or request cashiers check or money orders only. Put the onus on him. If he is leery of you, the one that has sold items on ebay and HAS a track record, then you don't want to do business with a potential bad transaction looming over your head.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Does eBay's global shipping department take the time to verify the item once they get before sending to the buyer? Otherwise, you're not protected from the buyer claiming you sent a non-parallel in place of the rare one when you actually did. That's the easiest way for the buyer to screw you.

Members online

Latest posts