Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who is the home run king? Maris or Bonds?

Who holds the "True" Home Run Record?

• Barry Bonds

Votes: 57 62.0%
  • Roger Maris

Votes: 35 38.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Davis is on pace for #62 as 95 games have been played. If he he doesn't hit another home run, it's still an accomplishment, but getting to 60 would be great.
Ahhhhhhh I forgot the All-star break isn't really exactly 1/2 the way through the season... I'm headed to go get another cup of coffee now lol :benson:

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Several of those players were/are probably using PEDs too.
I'm with Chris Davis; I still consider Maris the home run king.
I understand Bonds, McGwire and Sosa hit more homers, but that doesn't mean I have to acknowledge cheaters.
I wish MLB would put an asterisk by their names like Maris once had because he played a couple of more games than Ruth.

Ballplayers in the '60s cheated , too.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
As stated by Hockey I'd use an era gauge more than anything. I'll say Bonds was an amazing hitter and I think one day it'll get acknowledged that way, no asterisk needed. Mid 90s-mid 2000s were some of the most exciting years of BB and most enjoyable for me to watch

Ryan

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
* is king because everyone allowed it to happen. There were no rules against It
And no stipulations after. its done and passed BUT from my point of view 61 is it.

Sent from my iPhone

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
You're saying that steroids/HGH and cheating is not much different than having an official AL schedule with 8 more games on it? Seriously?
And Ruth didn't have to hit against any black and most latino pitchers.
There's a reason why there were so many .380-.400 hitters and 30-win pitchers back in the day.
The talent was severely diluted because of the lack of great minority players.
You could also argue that there were half as many teams back then, so half the guys in the majors today would have neen in the minors today. It evens itself out.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Congress had a special investigation in 72 or 73 into drugs in sports. They concluded that baseball had a big drug problem, one of those drugs that they said was being abused was anabolic steroids going back to the mide 60's. At the behest of the commissioner of baseball, it was swept under the rug. PED's were a problem back then and they continue to be a problem today, not jut in basbeall, bt in all sports.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Bonds!
When a player hits more home runs than any team in the same year, WTF! Ruth. What was he on besides hotdogs beer and women.
That would be like a player hitting 150ish today. The balls played with in Ruth's area were like rocks.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Bonds!
When a player hits more home runs than any team in the same year, WTF! Ruth. What was he on besides hotdogs beer and women.
That would be like a player hitting 150ish today. The balls played with in Ruth's area were like rocks.

Yeah its one of those things - the greatest hitter doesn't hold the record. What you said puts it all in perspective.

Maybe another poll could ask who the all-time greatest HR hitter is. Much simpler question to ask LOL.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Maris hit his 60th home run in less PAs than it took Ruth to hit 60, so the number of games argument doesn't really hold up in my opinion.

Even with less PAs it still took Maris more games for him to hit 60 than it took Ruth.

In other words if Maris had only 154 games like Ruth did he would NOT have broken the record in 1961.

Members online

Latest posts