Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

-- 2018 NSCC Thread The National! --

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Where is everyone at?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I only went Wed and Thurs. I bought about $15 worth of cards and that was it. Oh, and it was all at Singles Club. The National is great for vintage, wax, autos, and GU, but if you're into parallels like me, there's just not much. I figure part of this is that there just plain isn't much profit in it (and that's partly why they are what I collect) and absolutely nothing beats ebay. My buy of the week was a Bryce Harper Superstar Sensations /10 for $3 and that was on ebay. There was ONE TABLE there that had stacks of 2018 stuff for set fillers. He was popular. I was really surprised nobody else really did that.

I did have a nice conversation with a Topps guy and got to meet a COMC employee I've known for a few years. Also got Eric Metcalf's auto and the biggest highlight was buying the photo op with Rod Woodson and he agreed to wear my Tecmo league's tshirt! He was super nice!

I found out too late that the Indians game Friday night was fireworks/dollar dogs/$2 beers and was standing room only. So I bought the best ticket I've ever had in my life almost out of desperation - fourth row behind home plate for $115 on stubhub ($140 after fees). Sad about Trout missing the game, but Ohtani went double dingdong!

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
" The National is great for vintage "
This is what I have been saying for years. They need to change it from the national to the vintage collectors convention. If you look for 1993 to 2005 cards you wont find much.
Last time I went I spent 100 bucks. Sorry but to me vintage is not rare at all. There is nothing like a 90's serial numbered to 100 or less card. 52 Mantle cards keep coming out of the wood work.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...key-mantle-cards-top-graded-card-valued-at-1m

I only went Wed and Thurs. I bought about $15 worth of cards and that was it. Oh, and it was all at Singles Club. The National is great for vintage, wax, autos, and GU, but if you're into parallels like me, there's just not much. I figure part of this is that there just plain isn't much profit in it (and that's partly why they are what I collect) and absolutely nothing beats ebay. My buy of the week was a Bryce Harper Superstar Sensations /10 for $3 and that was on ebay. There was ONE TABLE there that had stacks of 2018 stuff for set fillers. He was popular. I was really surprised nobody else really did that.

I did have a nice conversation with a Topps guy and got to meet a COMC employee I've known for a few years. Also got Eric Metcalf's auto and the biggest highlight was buying the photo op with Rod Woodson and he agreed to wear my Tecmo league's tshirt! He was super nice!

I found out too late that the Indians game Friday night was fireworks/dollar dogs/$2 beers and was standing room only. So I bought the best ticket I've ever had in my life almost out of desperation - fourth row behind home plate for $115 on stubhub ($140 after fees). Sad about Trout missing the game, but Ohtani went double dingdong!

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I'm sorry for not posting yesterday and today. Reception was absolutely horrible.

As for the show, well....it was interesting. I tried to get around to all 4 corners of the show. Lots and lots of vintage and sports related memorabilia. I did see quite a few modern tables. Prices were thru the roof on lots of items. I saw some really neat current prospect cards, many of which were graded. Lots of gold labels. Lots of high end. I was able to snag a few of the silver Topps redemption packs that Topps gave out if you purchased their products. I think I did very well with them. The NSCC exclusive Bowman Chrome cards look really nice.

I did pick up a few cards I've wanted for a long time. I wanted more but was on a very tight budget. If only I had a few grand to blow.

I did run into some of our members and it was great to catch up! As for the show highlights...the breakers area was hopping the whole time I was there. I see even more so now just how relevant they are to the hobby. The wax distributors were absolutely swamped the whole time I was there. All the major sellers seemed to have wall to wall traffic.

I did see kids getting around and enjoying themselves. I just wish more kids got started off in a different direction rather than getting sucked into all the high end stuff first. I overheard several kids *****hing about not hitting an Ohtani auto or Trout superfractor in their box of cards. I mean, I get it but I dont....

It's been a crazy day today. I started off at the Christmas Story house. From there I went and toured a fire station. Left there and went to the National for a couple hours. Left the IX center and went to the Indians game. Great fireworks show after the Indians won. Kluber pitched a hell of a game. Not a bad birthday at all. Sorry for the long read. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
If anyone sees:
- vintage game-used lineup cards
- ***** league/Puerto rico league player contracts of HOF or significant ***** league players
- items related to the barnstorming tours of the late 40’s early 50’s

Please keep me in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Where is everyone at?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
Well Chris, getting shut out of a booth as the show sold out way back in March, and then with a recent family situation going on along with a job interview pre-scheduled on Friday, I was unable to attend this year's National altogether even though it was pretty much in my backyard. Pretty bummed about that as these shows are always so much fun in so many ways.

Interestingly enough though I did get a call from Megan at the National on Thursday telling me a booth had opened up Thursday afternoon and did I want it for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Without question it was the booth Tony Podsada used before he was reported by many dealers on Thursday for selling fake memorabilia which in turn led to his removal from the show with numerous boxes of evidence being confiscated by the Cleveland Police Dept's financial crimes unit. Hopefully they nail this piece of **** to the wall!
But honestly I was a little perturbed by the offer because they wanted $1,000 for the booth for the 3 remaining days of the show, and I know Podsada would have had to have paid up front and in-full for that booth to the tune of $1,295 and I'm quite sure he didn't receive one single cent back either. So while I might have considered something "reasonable" and tried to reschedule the job interview, asking $1,000 on top of the $1,295 they already received from that scumbag for the same space was quite unreasonable and steep to be quite frank.

So I'm a little disappointed I couldn't make it as a visitor and that I couldn't set up for all or part of it, along with not being able to see some of the fellow members here of whom I have not seen in a long time. I hope those that did attend had a great time though and it sounds like they did as it's hard not to. It's the National!!

Chris- I'll be sending you something shortly to help with the recent BGS submission.

Brian Lanning- we should really have a conversation soon. It's been a looong time since we've talked about an issue at the National in Chicago in 2011...

Hopefully many of you who were able to attend the show will have some pics and some commentary about your experiences to share with everyone here soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I agree with Blanning that prices were through the roof. This is what was most disappointing to me. For some reason, I expected dealers to be there looking to ditch stuff that's been in inventory a while in addition to the big profit stuff. Instead, it looked like they were preying on tourists.

Someone who did have stuff that I'm into was Myerburg. But of course he knew market and the stuff I looked at was dead on with high retail. No offense to him or anyone else there, but high retail was not what I was expecting. I now know better what to expect. The National is really just a larger version of my in-state card shows when it comes to singles.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I agree with Blanning that prices were through the roof. This is what was most disappointing to me. For some reason, I expected dealers to be there looking to ditch stuff that's been in inventory a while in addition to the big profit stuff. Instead, it looked like they were preying on tourists.

Someone who did have stuff that I'm into was Myerburg. But of course he knew market and the stuff I looked at was dead on with high retail. No offense to him or anyone else there, but high retail was not what I was expecting. I now know better what to expect. The National is really just a larger version of my in-state card shows when it comes to singles.

I went to the show when it was in AC and found the same. I imagine some of the dealers have items that are reasonably priced, but they get grabbed by other dealers or the very first people in the door. It was a fun experience when I went, but at this point when I go to shows it is more to catch up with people, see interesting things and possibly submit items for grading or sale at an auction house, since I never assume pricing will be reasonable. Pretty much the only occasional exception are really expensive/rare and somewhat obscure items that you'd have to know a little more about to know it's a solid deal.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
" The National is great for vintage "
This is what I have been saying for years. They need to change it from the national to the vintage collectors convention. If you look for 1993 to 2005 cards you wont find much.
Last time I went I spent 100 bucks. Sorry but to me vintage is not rare at all. There is nothing like a 90's serial numbered to 100 or less card. 52 Mantle cards keep coming out of the wood work.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...key-mantle-cards-top-graded-card-valued-at-1m

Its funny that I was reading on the Net54 boards that there was more modern cards there than they had ever seen at a National before. There is no doubt vintage is king but even the last few Nationals I have attended in Chicago seem to have more and more modern represented.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

Prices are almost always through the roof at the National as dealers are not looking to ditch their material but assume they are going to cash in because of the big money that is expected to walk through the door. I know many collectors who save up their money for the year and go to the National to pick up what they are looking for instead of going the auction or Ebay route but I think even these collectors are tired of getting blasted by the high asking price for cards and most dealers not wanting to even negotiate on the prices. I have been lucky enough to be able to haggle on prices when I get to the National but then again I am not buying big dollar, high demand cards.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

I saw you but I couldn’t catch up to you.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online