Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

July Group Submission Thread (BGS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
One of these days I will chronicle all the issues with this sub. You could play yackety smacks as the background music. Its a comical tale of miscommunication and back logs. Next june sub is cancelled.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
It only works if you send in cards that are not frequently submitted and note down before hand what is in the BGS pop. report for that card. Then around the time your grades should be ready, revisit the pop report and the "new" grade for that card could be yours.

How are you guys seeing what has popped and what hasn't? What am I missing? I wouldn't mind checking to see if any of my cards have shown up.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
It only works if you send in cards that are not frequently submitted and note down before hand what is in the BGS pop. report for that card. Then around the time your grades should be ready, revisit the pop report and the "new" grade for that card could be yours.

Not necessarily. If you have a graded card serial number from the sub (found using your method) then you can tinker with that number in "graded card lookup" to see all the cards graded around it. Stuff is kind of mixed up from the sub but I was able to find most of my 10 and 20 day grades this way. Here is the graded serial number for one of my cards: 7806660. Poke around with the last two or three digits and you might find your stuff. I think I found 37 of 40 cards from my collective 10 and 20 subs. I have not found my Topps Ripken rookie yet. Probably a 9 but shout if you see one. It was kinda cool to see a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth graded right after one of my cards. The owner should be happy it was slabbed with a 1.5.

Last edited:

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
How did you get a serial number from the sub? I never know that so I just look at the pop report.

Not necessarily. If you have a graded card serial number from the sub (found using your method) then you can tinker with that number in "graded card lookup" to see all the cards graded around it. Stuff is kind of mixed up from the sub but I was able to find most of my 10 and 20 day grades this way. Here is the graded serial number for one of my cards: 7806660. Poke around with the last two or three digits and you might find your stuff. I think I found 37 of 40 cards from my collective 10 and 20 subs. I have not found my Topps Ripken rookie yet. Probably a 9 but shout if you see one. It was kinda cool to see a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth graded right after one of my cards. The owner should be happy it was slabbed with a 1.5.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Each card in the pop report has its own unique serial number. Same number as on the slab. Click on the link in the pop report to get a list of a particular card in the pop report. You can then click on individual serial numbers with the highest being the most recent. Once you found one slab serial number within the group you can then enter slab serial numbers in the card lookup section. They are usually somewhat in order (most of your cards) will be grouped together but this one was more jumbled. Some of my cards were 100 or more spots from others. Someone scored a BVG 7 on a 1959 Mantle next to one of my modern football cards. Then the Ruth I mentioned earlier.

Feb 23, 2010
Ok gents, listen up. Back in the March 2013 sub post #126 , user Keyser Soze put together the instructions for you to search and see if you card has popped, regardless of how many have been graded, whether you know serial numbers, etc. Here's the link:

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...-submission-march-2013-post-lists-here-9.html

Now you can more definitively tell what has graded and what hasn't. I hope this helps to ease your confusion.

Feb 23, 2010
I understand Chris that the overall time may be out of your hands. But this isn't going any better than when MP was doing it and I was hoping to see improvement to get involved. My frustration just from the sideline in previous months and what I think used for those who have been involved in this or previous months is communication. That could just be an update of "haven't heard back, working on it" or something like that 1-2 times daily. There have been days-week where I have seen no response an people hanging. That's where I was hoping there would be improvement when you took over. I do however think it has been annoying for you and would think BGS owes you more than what you have gotten also

Ryan

THEN SUBMIT YOUR CARDS ON YOUR OWN AND QUIT WHINING ABOUT A PROCESS YOU'RE NOT A PARTICIPANT IN. You should understand that Chris, and his predecessor Mason, both do this for FREE. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. They don't get any monetary compensation for running the group sub process every month. Therefore, Chris DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU! Want to XXXXX and whine about communication? Try submitting your own cards and dealing with Beckett, let us know how that works out for you. This may come as a surprise, but Chris doesn't have time to post in this forum 1-2 times a day to say "you're not going to believe this, but I haven't heard anything from Beckett, even though it's a Sunday. Those lazy so-n-sos!!!" Don't like the way BGS works? Then submit your cards to PSA or *** or don't get them graded all together. Furthermore, it is incredibly naïve to think that because our group subs a couple hundred cards every month that a company like BGS which goes through tens of thousands of cards every month is going to make ours the #1 priority and that the #1 priority in Chris' day is to check on the status of our cards. I'm going to venture a wild guess here and say that Chris has other things going on in his life, many of which take prescience and are more important than what BGS is doing with our cards. Would we have liked this month's sub to go better? Heck yeah! But complaining about Chris' PERCEIVED lack of communication is like complaining about the weather man when he tells you it's going to be hot tomorrow. We all made the choice to submit our cards, just like you made the choice to post in this thread when you have zero investment nor involvement and are just acting like a troll. Go get some cheese for your whine and leave the submitting to people who are appreciative of the work that Chris (and Mason in the past) puts in to get our cards graded at an awesome price.

Feb 23, 2010
I understand Chris that the overall time may be out of your hands. But this isn't going any better than when MP was doing it and I was hoping to see improvement to get involved. My frustration just from the sideline in previous months and what I think used for those who have been involved in this or previous months is communication. That could just be an update of "haven't heard back, working on it" or something like that 1-2 times daily. There have been days-week where I have seen no response an people hanging. That's where I was hoping there would be improvement when you took over. I do however think it has been annoying for you and would think BGS owes you more than what you have gotten also

Ryan

THEN SUBMIT YOUR CARDS ON YOUR OWN AND QUIT WHINING ABOUT A PROCESS YOU'RE NOT A PARTICIPANT IN. You should understand that Chris, and his predecessor Mason, both do this for FREE. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. They don't get any monetary compensation for running the group sub process every month. Therefore, Chris DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU! Want to XXXXX and whine about communication? Try submitting your own cards and dealing with Beckett, let us know how that works out for you. This may come as a surprise, but Chris doesn't have time to post in this forum 1-2 times a day to say "you're not going to believe this, but I haven't heard anything from Beckett, even though it's a Sunday. Those lazy so-n-sos!!!" Don't like the way BGS works? Then submit your cards to PSA or *** or don't get them graded all together. Furthermore, it is incredibly naïve to think that because our group subs a couple hundred cards every month that a company like BGS which goes through tens of thousands of cards every month is going to make ours the #1 priority and that the #1 priority in Chris' day is to check on the status of our cards. I'm going to venture a wild guess here and say that Chris has other things going on in his life, many of which take prescience and are more important than what BGS is doing with our cards. Would we have liked this month's sub to go better? Heck yeah! But complaining about Chris' PERCEIVED lack of communication is like complaining about the weather man when he tells you it's going to be hot tomorrow. We all made the choice to submit our cards, just like you made the choice to post in this thread when you have zero investment nor involvement and are just acting like a troll. Go get some cheese for your whine and leave the submitting to people who are appreciative of the work that Chris (and Mason in the past) puts in to get our cards graded at an awesome price.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
You should understand that Chris, and his predecessor Mason, both do this for FREE. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. They don't get any monetary compensation for running the group sub process every month. Therefore, Chris DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU!... Furthermore, it is incredibly naïve to think that because our group subs a couple hundred cards every month that a company like BGS which goes through tens of thousands of cards every month is going to make ours the [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] priority and that the [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] priority in Chris' day is to check on the status of our cards....

I'm not complaining about Chris but what you say above is not entirely accurate. While Chris does not get any direct financial compensation, it is through the contributions of FCB submitters he he able to grade his cards for approximately half price (he has to submit a certain number a month to maintain the deep discount), and since he is running the show, get his stuff as much as a week faster than the rest of us. There are cases when that will result in increased indirect compensation (first to sell on eBay, hot rookie/prospect who might later cool off, the first to sell if another submitter has the same card, etc.). I personally think that is perfectly reasonable indirect compensation for managing the subs. Extra page hits here and patrons at the shop probably contribute as well. Hell, I'd even pay a small handling fee as I know packing stuff can be a PITA. In defense of Ryan, every month on here we get people asking when did cards get sent to or received by Beckett, what day of the sub service is is, when are they due, and so on. Most of these questions could be addressed before they even happen as Chris could simply add one post when the cards were delivered to Beckett. Anyone with half a brain should be able to figure it out from there. It's Chris' group though and he is free to conduct it how he sees fit but one or two additional posts a month would quell a lot of mumbling. I mentioned this to MP direct a couple years ago. As far as being #1 , no we're not, but large bulk subs are a fairly big deal for the BGS sales rep.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

I hope that made you feel big and strong. There is a "perceived" lack of communication and no responses for days throughout these submissions. That is the simplest thing to change to help those who submit frustrations. I think you and most people differ on the opinion that yes, a person running a sub, should make the time, I don't care if its a Sunday or any other day, to drop in and take the 15 seconds to post something, even of its no real details, at least it's showing that aren't ignoring the members. No one is saying they aren't appreciative that the sub is available, however that doesn't mean they are appreciative of that "perceived" lack of communication. I'm glad you beat your chest and protected Chris, of which he doesn't need your help. If Chris had a real problem w/my post he would have let me know. He answered it, and we both moved on w/out issue. We didn't need you to get involved, thanks. If you want to post more, that's fine, there will no response. Thanks for your time

Ryan

Last edited:

03supto

Jul 25, 2010
I hope that made you feel big and strong. There is a "perceived" lack of communication and no responses for days throughout these submissions. That is the simplest thing to change to help those who submit frustrations. I think you and most people differ on the opinion that yes, a person running a sub, should make the time, I don't care if its a Sunday or any other day, to drop in and take the 15 seconds to post something, even of its no real details, at least it's showing that aren't ignoring the members. No one is saying they aren't appreciative that the sub is available, however that doesn't mean they are appreciative of that "perceived" lack of communication. I'm glad you beat your chest and protected Chris, of which he doesn't need your help. If Chris had a real problem w/my post he would have let me know. He answered it, and we both moved on w/out issue. We didn't need you to get involved, thanks. If you want to post more, that's fine, there will no response. Thanks for your time

Ryan

^^^^^this also

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I hope the sub pops soon!!! Sounds liek a bunch of you are getting 9.5s already

So far I have all 9.5 and even a couple 10 but couldn't track down my Ripken yet where a 9.5 would be a gift. Monday is a holiday so I'm guessing the 10 and 20 day stuff all pops at once on Tuesday since it appears most, if not all, cards are now in the pop report.

03supto

Jul 25, 2010
So far I have all 9.5 and even a couple 10 but couldn't track down my Ripken yet where a 9.5 would be a gift. Monday is a holiday so I'm guessing the 10 and 20 day stuff all pops at once on Tuesday since it appears most, if not all, cards are now in the pop report.

Still missing 3....

jetsmets150

Jan 29, 2010
Three cards of mine graded so far. My Doug Martin got a 9.5/10, Biddle got a 9.5/10, and Pederson got my worst grade ever, a 9/8. Don't know how that happened

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
THEN SUBMIT YOUR CARDS ON YOUR OWN AND QUIT WHINING ABOUT A PROCESS YOU'RE NOT A PARTICIPANT IN. You should understand that Chris, and his predecessor Mason, both do this for FREE. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. They don't get any monetary compensation for running the group sub process every month.

I thought I read Chris say he does make a little off of this. Maybe indirectly. [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] Do you?

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
I used to think that it was a "hookup" and rolled with the punches but later read Chris state awhile back that FCB did make a little off group subs. I don't have a link to quote him saying that but I'm pretty sure. Not many businesses survive non-profit without making a profit.
I know for sure that Mason did not and am under the impression that it is the same case with Chris, though I could be wrong.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Any one of you can get the same bulk submission deal, that FCB gets. Maybe someone else should do it and free up CG?

I have a deal with BGS myself. I passed on bulk submission and went with certified submission center. Prices are lower and I don't have a minimum sub.

-------------------------------------

Need Moustakas, Hosmer and patches.

Members online