Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My annual All-Star prediction thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Every year I try to predict who will be on the All-Star teams. I do it for my own amusement really. This year is especially fun for me because I have a feeling about 3-5 Orioles will be on the squad. My predictions for starters are who I feel the fans will vote in. And then obviously the reserves are who I think the players/coaches will pick. I believe there are 34 roster spots and I have to pick a member from each team.

AL STARTERS

C - Joe Mauer - Twins
1B - Chris Davis - Orioles
2B - Robinson Cano - Yankees
SS - J.J. Hardy - Orioles (the voting is really close right now and I think Hardy will overcome Andrus)
3B - Miguel Cabrera - Tigers
OF - Mike Trout - Angels
OF - Adam Jones - Orioles
OF - Jose Bautista - Blue Jays
DH - David Ortiz - Red Sox

SP - Clay Buchholz - Red Sox

AL RESERVES

C - Carlos Santana - Indians
C - Jason Castro - Astros
1B - Prince Fielder - Tigers
2B - Dustin Pedroia - Red Sox
SS - Jhonny Peralta - Tigers
SS - Jed Lowrie - Athletics
3B - Evan Longoria - Rays
3B - Manny Machado - Orioles
3B - Adrian Beltre - Rangers (yes, I think 4 3B will make it this year. It's a log jam! I had to leave off Josh Donaldson even! One of them can be a back up DH to David Ortiz)
OF - Alex Gordon - Royals
OF - Nick Markakis - Orioles (THIS IS THE YEAR HE FINALLY MAKES IT!)
OF - Torii Hunter - Tigers

SP - Hisashi Iwakuma - Mariners
SP - Yu Darvish - Rangers
SP - Felix Hernandez - Mariners
SP - Matt Moore - Rays
SP - Justin Masterson - Indians
SP - Max Scherzer - Tigers
SP - Justin Verlander - Tigers
SP - Chris Sale - White Sox
RP - Mariano Rivera - Yankees
RP - Joe Nathan - Rangers
RP - Grant Balfour - Athletics
RP - Addison Reed - White Sox

NL STARTERS: (I may make some changes to the NL Roster after I find out who is leading in the NL voting).

C - Buster Posey - Giants
1B - Joey Votto - Reds
2B - Brandon Phillips - Reds
SS - Troy Tulowitzki - Rockies
3B - David Wright - Mets (duh)
OF - Ryan Braun - Brewers
OF - Bryce Harper - Nationals
OF - Justin Upton - Braves
DH - Carlos Gonzalez - Rockies

SP - Matt Harvey - Mets

C - Yadier Molina - Cardinals
1B - Paul Goldschmidt - Diamondbacks
1B - Freddie Freeman - Braves
2B - Matt Carpenter - Cardinals
SS - Jean Segura - Brewers
SS - Everth Cabrera - Padres
3B - Pablo Sandoval - Giants
OF - Shin-Soo Choo - Reds
OF - Marcell Ozuna - Marlins
OF - Andrew McCutchen - Pirates
OF - Domonic Brown - Phillies

SP - Cliff Lee - Phillies
SP - Clayton Kershaw - Dodgers
SP - Shelby Miller - Cardinals
SP - Patrick Corbin - Diamondbacks
SP - Adam Wainwright - Cardinals
SP - Mike Minor - Braves
SP - Jordan Zimmerman - Nationals
SP - Travis Wood - Cubs
RP - Jason Grilli - Pirates
RP - Edward Mujica - Cardinals
RP - Craig Kimbrel - Braves
RP - Sergio Romo - Giants
RP - Aroldis Chapman - Reds

Hard to leave off guys like Lance Lynn and Jorge de la Rosa, but the Cubs and Marlins need reps. I see Travis Wood as the Cubs and Ozuna as the Marlins rep. It could also be Nolasco or Jose Fernandez as the Marlins rep, then I think Freeman is out and the Cubs rep is Rizzo.

Last edited:

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Considering that Giants skipper Bruce Bochy is in charge of the NL Team, it might be a safe bet to expect closer Sergio Romo and shortstop Brandon Crawford to be on the team as well.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
How do you explain leaving the NL leader in Homeruns off the All-Star roster? Dom Brown makes that team.

Also, sent you a PM...would appreciate a response.

I just don't see the Phillies having 3 All-Stars and I'm pretty sure Cliff and Papelbon will make it. And I predict pitchers will figure out Dom Brown by the AS break.

Replied to your PM.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I just don't see the Phillies having 3 All-Stars and I'm pretty sure Cliff and Papelbon will make it. And I predict pitchers will figure out Dom Brown by the AS break.

Replied to your PM.

Paplebon hasn't pitched in a few days, something might be wrong. Regardless, you can't leave Dom Brown off the team. If he for some reason doesn't get on in the first place, I guarantee you that he makes the Final Vote and he'll make it easily there. Philly has been known to support it's players that make the Final Vote. And no, I don't foresee a cool down that would cut him from the All Star Game. He's on pace for 45 HR right now with a 1/3 of the season over. I think it's safe to say he's legit and perhaps he's figured the pitchers out.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Paplebon hasn't pitched in a few days, something might be wrong. Regardless, you can't leave Dom Brown off the team. If he for some reason doesn't get on in the first place, I guarantee you that he makes the Final Vote and he'll make it easily there. Philly has been known to support it's players that make the Final Vote. And no, I don't foresee a cool down that would cut him from the All Star Game. He's on pace for 45 HR right now with a 1/3 of the season over. I think it's safe to say he's legit and perhaps he's figured the pitchers out.

He might be one of those guys that gets left off b/c Ozuna needs to be the Marlins rep. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to make it...I'm just predicting he won't.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Didn't realize the NL pitching was so stacked. Was hoping Latos would make it but it isn't looking good.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Made some changes to the NL after viewing the voting results like I said I would. Switched Upton/McCutchen in the starter/reserve. Took into consideration the continuance of Brown's torrid streak and put him in and removed Carlos Gomez (he deserves it but a few NL players going to get snubbed and the Brewers suck). I don't see three Phillies making the squad, so I switched out Papelbon for Romo.

Members online