Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Impact of The 2014 Draft On Cards OR Holy Cow! Look at Those Prices Soar!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
So it probably had to do with the positive things that Mel Kiper had to say about him throughout the latter parts of the first round today....but Let's take a look at the 2014 Leaf Metal Draft Derek Carr Purple Auto's /25 (a card I've contemplated picking up for a month now, and should have)

March 6th: $36 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-LEAF-M...0872476718?pt=US_Football&hash=item5405ad002e

April 6th: $45 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Leaf-M...1315004191?pt=US_Football&hash=item19eae42b1f

May 6th: $61 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Leaf-M...0920500135?pt=US_Football&hash=item540889c7a7

And now, with 15 hours still to go, I give you::

May 10th: $227 and rising http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Leaf-M...1398981697?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a3c38cc41

Crazy prices for a guy not even picked in the first round! I thought slipping now to the second round, it would do wonders for my wallet in collecting him this season.....now i wish i had set that $81 snipe on the May 6th one =[

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I haven't followed football cards since 06/07ish......are Topps Chrome Autos still the "Bowman Chrome" of football?

Last edited by a moderator:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I haven't followed football cards since 06/07ish......are Topps Chrome Autos still the "Bowman Chrome" of football?

Still sought after if that's what you mean.

Playoff Contenders, National Treasures (usually /99) and SP Authentic (college unis) probably sell for more due to more Limited production but Chrome is still considered a top-tier release.

The '12 stuff was Loaded and this year should do well too...

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Still sought after if that's what you mean.

Playoff Contenders, National Treasures (usually /99) and SP Authentic (college unis) probably sell for more due to more Limited production but Chrome is still considered a top-tier release.

The '12 stuff was Loaded and this year should do well too...

I wanna all out player collect Derek.....but i think I'd have to sell my whole Baseball collection to fund it =[

Looks like I'll just be grabbing a base auto from each release.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
David Fales stuff was cheap, then jumped (for me), then hopped up more, then valley'd a bit now they are ticking upward. And this is for a day 3 QB. I got in on a couple Cooks cards, and Ka'deem, but nothing like I've done with Fales.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
David Fales stuff was cheap, then jumped (for me), then hopped up more, then valley'd a bit now they are ticking upward. And this is for a day 3 QB. I got in on a couple Cooks cards, and Ka'deem, but nothing like I've done with Fales.

What sells you on fales? Sure he put up some good numbers, but when it came to playing a couple teams of decent caliber, he didnt fare well.

Stanford: 216 yds, 1 TD
UNLV: 150 yds, 0 TD
Fresno St.: 547 yds, 6 TD

And thats only cuz Fresnos defense was absolutley horrid against the pass. Hes from the MWC so I wish him all the luck in the world, I just dont see much of a future for him, at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
What sells you on fales? Sure he put up some good numbers, but when it came to playing a couple teams of decent caliber, he didnt fare well.

Stanford: 216 yds, 1 TD
UNLV: 150 yds, 0 TD
Fresno St.: 547 yds, 6 TD

And thats only cuz Fresnos defense was absolutley horrid against the pass. Hes from the MWC so I wish him all the luck in the world, I just dont see much of a future for him, at the moment.

I've never collected to flip or because others think someone is 'good'. Loved Fales in college as he produced. If I follow someone in college, weather or not they 'project' to the NFL, I'll be collecting them when they are drafted.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I've never collected to flip or because others think someone is 'good'. Loved Fales in college as he produced. If I follow someone in college, weather or not they 'project' to the NFL, I'll be collecting them when they are drafted.

Thats all I was wondering: what made you decide to try to collect him.

Come on you collect JJ......I know youre in the Sports Card game to lose money anyway ;););)

AmishDave

Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Thats all I was wondering: what made you decide to try to collect him.

Come on you collect JJ......I know youre in the Sports Card game to lose money anyway ;););)

Continue looking at my sig and seeing who I collect is comparable to stealing a fully loaded Brinks truck for the sole purpose of setting it on fire.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
It's insane to me that collectors will pay that for a product with no NFL uniforms/logos knowing more popular cards are going to be released.

osappy1

Aug 11, 2008
Bay Area
It's insane to me that collectors will pay that for a product with no NFL uniforms/logos knowing more popular cards are going to be released.

You would be surprised how many of the buyers are college collectors, I always buy a fair share of leaf metal and leaf trinity football boxes and over half the buyers are located relatively near the college of the players card they purchased

bmc398

May 25, 2009
You would be surprised how many of the buyers are college collectors, I always buy a fair share of leaf metal and leaf trinity football boxes and over half the buyers are located relatively near the college of the players card they purchased

It's two fold. There's the gotta have it now crowd AND the college collectors. As soon as the draft is over, people scramble to find cards of the next IT player or their franchise QB. They don't necessarily want to wait 2-3 more months for those players to have their first NFL licensed/uni cards.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO

In the rare occasion that we have players in these college sets from Arkansas State I will buy up anything and everything of them!

Members online