Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yanks21 New York Yankees Autograph collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Following [MENTION=1995]dano7[/MENTION] lead it is time to better organize my collection. I found that the best way for me to actually get this done is to share the collection here slowly. It has worked well with other parts of my collection. This gives me a chance to take a picture, post them, keep count, put the cards in brand new holders and actually put them together in one place. Feel free to comment, share a story or show off your own.

I will start with 24 of a 25 card 1979 Wallin Diamond Greats Yankees set. I am missing just one:

#1 Roger Maris

#2 Joe DiMaggio

#3 Atley Donald

#4 Joe Beggs

#5 Elston Howard

#6 George Pipgras

#7 Lefty Gomez

#8 Joe Dugan

#9 Johnny Kucks

#1 0 Andy Carey

#1 1 Don Larsen

#1 2 Tony Kubek

#1 3 Dr. Bobby Brown

#1 4 Johnny Lindell

#1 5 Russ Van Atta

#1 6 Buddy Rosar

#1 7 Marius Russo

#1 8 Whitey Witt

#1 9 Spud Chandler

#2 0 Babe Dahlgren

#2 1 George Selkirk

#2 2 Joe Sewell

#2 3 Bob Shawkey

#2 4 Ben Chapman

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Those Diamond Greats are fantastic. I've got a couple.
I'd suggest that you make a spread sheet, put the player's names alphabetically and then have a column with what set its from. You might also want to put the date purchased/arrived and purchase price!
DANNY

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Nice! Who are you missing?
Duffy Lewis is the last one. He passed away the same year the set was released, 1979. [MENTION=1995]dano7[/MENTION] thanks for the advice.

#25 Bump
Hadley
#26 Oral Hildebrand
#27 Tommy Henrich
#28 Charlie Keller
#29 Johnny Murphy
#30 Monte Pearson
#31 Red Rolfe
#32 Red Ruffing
---Repeat signatures of
Babe Dahlgren
Atley Donald
Lefty Gomez
Buddy Rosar
Marius Russo
George Selkirk

Last edited:

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Duffy Lewis is the last one. He passed away the same year the set was released, 1979. @dano7 thanks for the advice.

#25 Bump
Hadley
#26 Oral Hildebrand
#27 Tommy Henrich
#28 Charlie Keller
#29 Johnny Murphy
#30 Monte Pearson
#31 Red Rolfe
#32 Red Ruffing
---Repeat signatures of
Babe Dahlgren
Atley Donald
Lefty Gomez
Buddy Rosar
Marius Russo
George Selkirk

You're welcome. That is a nice group of sigs in one place! Story behind it?
DANNY

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
You're welcome. That is a nice group of sigs in one place! Story behind it?
DANNY
It was just an eBay purchase. It came with a JSA letter and I thought it was a cool item. Grabbed this one on a BO sale:
#33 Bill Dickey

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
#34 Yogi Berra
image-42.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I went through your Diamond Greats to see who I didn't have autos of. I won't be able to find all as Diamond Greats, but I'm working on getting the autographs! See, help works both ways!!!
DANNY

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I chased autographs as a kid, but it was always on programs, ticket stubs, random slips of paper or an occasional practice ball. I never thought to bring cards to the games and it wasn't until many years later that I started buying signed cards in quantity. It is addicting! I can't get enough of them and wanting all different types of a players card keeps it interesting. For example, some might be happy with one autograph from a player, but I may chase their entire Topps run or I may try to complete a certain team set. Ultimately, I am getting as many Dodger signatures as I can, and I prefer cards over anything else, especially vintage cards.

I will continue to enjoy your updates.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Can't wait to follow this thread.

I have more than a thousand signed Yankees cards, photos and balls, mostly of '30s-'70s Yankees. I was once going for a complete run of vintage Topps Yankees signed cards of the '50s and '60s Yankees my Dad watched (except Mantle, Maris and Howard of course). Guys who used to sign through the mail 20+ years ago, like Rizzuto, Richardson, Skowron, McDougald, Turley, Larsen, Bauer, etc. Even Yogi Berra used to sign TTM for free in the '80s.

I've always wanted to make a thread, but the thought of scanning everything intimidates me. And now that there are two Yankees autograph threads, I don't want to look like I'm competing.

Anyway, great thread and I'll check it out every week for updates.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Sounds like a great collection! But I'm not seeing pics for some reason on mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Sounds like a great collection! But I'm not seeing pics for some reason on mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure why your not seeing pics? I'm actually on my IPhone replying to you now. Hmmmm.
[MENTION=1900]Austin[/MENTION] I am the most unorganized member on this board and by posting these pictures slowly it is motivating me to get it done. It sounds like you have a great collection. I don't have a lot of high end so soon enough you will be seeing more lower end player sigs.
[MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] I also would grab sigs when I was a kid at the Waterbury Reds games and most of them were on the ticket stubs of the games or the scorecards. The only sig I can remember getting on a card back then was Corey Snyder when he was with the Waterbury Indians.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
#37 Bob Turley 1979 TCMA #136

#38 Jim Abbott 2013 Topps Tier One Crowd Pleaser Autographs #JA1

#39 Sean Henn 2004Donruss Elite #178

#40 Ryan Bradley 2000 Fleer Autographics

Last edited:

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
#41 Whitey Ford
1957 Topps #25

2004 Sweet Spot