Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FREE CONTEST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Answer: Wes Ferrell; he and Trout are tied for 95th on the all-time best single season WAR list at 10.9.

It's shocking that despite the great year of Trout in 2012, it's only 95th best for single season WAR.

Doc Gooden has the record for best WAR (13.2) post WWII and is 21st overall for his amazing year in 1985. But was he high on cocaine all year then?

I had written a long and detailed post questioning whether all those 19th century high WAR seasons were really comparable to the modern game, and then I see a while bunch of articles that pretty much admit that WAR is skewed towards the pre-modern game (due to the lower skill set of the average player, and the way the game was biased towards pitchers). Eliminating the 19th century high-WAR years would make Trout and Ferrell's 10.9 seasons closer to 40th or 50th all time.

Didn't the Mets drug issues start in 1987? I recall reading that was why they didn't have much of a season in 1987, but then again, I can't imagine a time when Gooden and Strawberry weren't on drugs.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Oh I knew there was no winner. It's why I made the post. Only you would make a contest for some ridiculously obscure piece of info to be found like a needle in a haystack, and then impose some ridiculously limited time frame to provide the answer, so you can get out of having to provide a prize! Why even make a contest?
[MENTION=6164]DeliciousBacon[/MENTION] Jeremy, send me your address and I will send you a prize since you came the closest the quickest. I don't want people to come to the awful realization that they wasted their time on this. I'll send you one of the nice Rocco patches you wanted from me so it will even fit into your collection.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Oh I knew there was no winner. It's why I made the post. Only you would make a contest for some ridiculously obscure piece of info to be found like a needle in a haystack, and then impose some ridiculously limited time frame to provide the answer, so you can get out of having to provide a prize! Why even make a contest?
@DeliciousBacon Jeremy, send me your address and I will send you a prize since you came the closest the quickest. I don't want people to come to the awful realization that they wasted their time on this. I'll send you one of the nice Rocco patches you wanted from me so it will even fit into your collection.

What a guy.

Latest posts