Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 1998 Topps Tek Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
I didn't realize the Pedro diffractor was pulled off eBay until I saw @togaman's post. I'm disappointed as I had it flagged to buy. I'm not in the business of contacting a seller and having them pull an item from auction. We could have a discussion about the ethics of a potential buyer asking a seller to do that -- personally I don't think it's the right thing to do, but for the life of me I can't understand why a seller would do it. Stupid pills maybe. Worst case scenario for the seller is eBay cracking down on them. That practice does cost eBay money in fees and that could spur them to action. Or the seller being ripped off by the buyer for an item no longer covered by an eBay guarantee. Perhaps if the seller is really desperate for a quick buck, and can't wait for the auction to finish in two or three days, but when an item has already been bid up by several people -- the stupid pills must have kicked in.

I've bought lots of rare cards that way. To me, there is no point in waiting and potentially getting outbid. I email the seller the max amount I would bid and hope he accepts. Usually I only do it for #1 /1's because if I lose, I will never see the card again.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I agree that there is no point in waiting if a deal can be made. Sometimes I send the seller a message saying I'm interested and if you get an offer to end early, please let me know or give me a chance to match/beat it. Thanks.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
To me that is interference with an ongoing auction. So what if you want a card? That doesn't entitle anyone to it. Just my opinion. I have asked sellers a few times if they would end an auction early for a particular card I needed for a set but never if any bid was on it.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
To me that is interference with an ongoing auction. So what if you want a card? That doesn't a entitled you to it. Just my opinion.

It's up to the seller either way . Your entitled to it if the seller accepts your offer. I don't really agree w canceling bids , but again it's up to the seller .

Ryan

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
To me that is interference with an ongoing auction. So what if you want a card? That doesn't a entitled you to it. Just my opinion.

Oh please...... Pay the man or don't, also its best to proof read your posts first because honestly, " that doesn't a entitled you to it" is horrible and makes no sense..

Interference with an ongoing auction? LOL, now I've heard everything, Im sorry you cant complete your set for $2 a card but really.... this is half the reason I stopped posting.

FURTHER, if I offer $100 for a piece of cardboard, yeah that "entitled" 's to it....

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I agree that there is no point in waiting if a deal can be made. Sometimes I send the seller a message saying I'm interested and if you get an offer to end early, please let me know or give me a chance to match/beat it. Thanks.

This. You have to do this to survive as a player collector.

And from the seller's point of view, I would want to know what best offers are out there. It helps me gauge the market and potentially gives me an opportunity to make similar money immediately while avoiding fees. That lot of Diffractors I took down earlier this year... the only reason it worked was because the numerous offers the seller had received to that point were totally low-ball. Mine was still lower than market, but compared to the other offers it probably appeared as though I was overpaying. In other words, it was the totally unfair offers that helped my under-market offer attractive. And had I stood on the sidelines waiting for the auction to take its course, someone else would have taken it down.

Besides, the suggestion that offering someone money for goods (whether known to be for sale or not) is somehow wrong is just un-American :rolleyes: 'Murica!

rinkrat38

Oct 14, 2012
South Deerfield, Mass.
Must be an eBay 1/1 error variation because it doesn't have the diffractor finish! OMG! That is an instant buy!

I talked to this guy. I've done business with him before, and figured to politely educate him. He said this is a stock photo and his card is really a diffractor. He described it. I suggested he scan it, and consider reducing his price a wee bit. I have that pattern already.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Pudge lives in my building, pretty cool. Thought about next time when I run into him and chat to ask him if he owns any of his own cards lol. Always wanted to ask a ball player that.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Pudge lives in my building, pretty cool. Thought about next time when I run into him and chat to ask him if he owns any of his own cards lol. Always wanted to ask a ball player that.

That's really cool. I lived down the street from a couple of players, and I routinely see Bulls guys downtown on my lunch break. I passed Joakim Noah the other day walking to get a coffee.

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
Cant believe a 1998 TEK collector paid $45.89 for a Kenny Lofton diffractor and someone paid over $70 for a Pudge Rodriguez Diffractor?
Man 'o man I'm glad I never got into this diffractor chasing on ebay.
Too $$$$ for me to play that game

Last edited:

togaman

Oct 27, 2008
Houston
deleted by togaman I bid on a few of the TEKS but stopped very quickly as I became apparent some bidders were going to run them up again.

My hats off the any of the winners of TEK Diffractors wiling to pay that much for diffractor cards of Konerko, Pudge, and Lofton and others. The current diffractors on ebay are difficult to acquire at a reasonable price. Yet month after month...year after year.. Beckett continues to list them at 5x base.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts