Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

KRIS BRYANT CALLED UP TO THE CUBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Let the era of KB begin.

should have waited until June when more seating of Wrigley Field would have been available to sell more tickets. ;)

This weekend, a fool and his money soon will be parted if you buy Kris Bryant cards. Hard to imagine at these hype prices that you could resell a card for profit even if Kris ever was to turn out to be a hall of famer. I'd rather keep sticking the big bucks in the stock market and make money instead of blowing it on kris bryant auto cards as hype prices and let the hype die off if I ever decide to buy a Kris Bryant rookie auto (or just stick to a second or third year auto).

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I hope he does well. I have these 2013's:
KBryant2_zps9okshbcf.jpg

One of the Sterling refractors is serial #'d 17/199, so maybe it'll match his big-league uni number.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Maddon's not wasting any time - guess who's batting cleanup today? :mrgreen:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Maddon's not wasting any time - guess who's batting cleanup today? :mrgreen:
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/4/...atience?_ga=1.148702071.1760950719.1429282019

Kris Bryant is here! Prepare to be underwhelmed (just in case)!

Kris Bryant's debut is exciting, but be prepared to be patient with him.

By now, you've surely heard the news: Mike Olt is going on the disabled list with a broken right wrist and won't be available for some time. I wish there was something more interesting to say about this transaction, but here we are. Have a good weekend everybody!
Nah, I'm just kidding. Olt's injury, of course, clears the way for 23 year old third baseman Kris Bryant to finally make his debut for the Cubs (not that Olt was blocking him). Our long national nightmare is finally over after 12 long days, and Baseball America's top prospect is expected to start tonight, at Wrigley Field, againstJames Shields and the Padres.
Bryant hit an astounding .425/.477/1.175 with 9 homers in 44 plate appearances this spring to convince the world he was ready to play in the majors. The Cubs, taking the smart long-term approach, sent him to Des Moines for a short time to "work on his defense" or some such nonsense that would guarantee them an extra year of control over the youngster. Was it fair? Not remotely, but it was their right under the Collective Bargaining Agreement and it was the right decision for the franchise. Bryant hit .333/.379/.625 with 2 homers in six games in Iowa after hitting .325/.438/.661 with 43 homers combined across two levels in 2014.
Let's just stop right there

His is the most anticipated debut since the last most anticipated debut. We do love our prospects, after all. They're blank slates and we love to dream on them. But here's the thing: Kris Bryant may be arriving, but that doesn't mean Kris Bryant has arrived.
What I mean is anyone (and that's most of you) anticipating that Bryant is going to emerge fully formed, like Venus from a clam shell, is likely to come away disappointed. Very few players can simply step right out of the minor leagues and hit major league pitching without skipping a beat. Fewer still that still struggle to make contact as much as Bryant, who struck out 162 times in 138 games last year, fanned 14 times in 14 games this spring, and already went down eight times on strikes for the Iowa Cubs in six games. This is not to say that Bryant can't or won't be productive, just that the kid is probably going to have to make some adjustments before becoming the Kris Bryant we will probably get to enjoy over the next 10-15 years. We do him a disservice if we forget that, and if we allow ourselves to be disheartened.
Take, for instance, the greatest third baseman of all time, Michael Jack Schmidt. ThePhillies Hall of Famer dominated in his second minor league season, hitting .291/.409/.550 after being selected in the second round of the 1971 draft. Like Bryant, he had incredible power, but struggled to make contact. He debuted that September at 22 years old and hit .206/.325/.294. The next year, as the Phillies' regular third baseman, he hit .196/.324/.373 with 136 strikeouts in 132 games, back when that was actually considered pretty bad. In fact, his 30.7 strikeout rate would still be considered pretty awful.
Lower your expectations and have patience

But here's the thing about Michael Jack Schmidt: He got better. He got a lot better. The Phillies, who weren't going anywhere anyway, were patient and allowed him time to develop. They were rewarded. At 24, he hit .282/.395/.546, leading the National League in homers and slugging percentage, and finished sixth in the MVP race. He would lead the NL in homers eight times, win 10 gold gloves, and 3 MVPs.
It will be tough for everyone to just chill out, but it's best for us, for the Cubs, and for Bryant to understand how difficult the game is. It's important to remember that young players, even young players who turn into the greatest player to ever play their position, struggle. It's essential to remember that growing pains are natural. Allowing Bryant plenty of slack as he learns the contours of the game will help ensure that he does reach that incredible potential, and reaches it soon. Just probably not right away.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
IMO within 10 days no matter how well he does, the cards will have a 20% decline at least. Not because he isnt a stud and not because he isnt going to be good, but because hype only lasts so long.... For the Cubbies sake thoigh, I hope he does well.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
IMO within 10 days no matter how well he does, the cards will have a 20% decline at least. Not because he isnt a stud and not because he isnt going to be good, but because hype only lasts so long.... For the Cubbies sake thoigh, I hope he does well.

Not this.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Not this.

Well. You have to look at it and think how well and how long does he have to do it for? You are right in one sense. He comes up and hits 3 JAcks in his first two games then yes there could be a higher spike. BUT honeslty, how well does he have to do. Prices are INSANE right now. Again, JMO but, we shall see.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Well. You have to look at it and think how well and how long does he have to do it for? You are right in one sense. He comes up and hits 3 JAcks in his first two games then yes there could be a higher spike. BUT honeslty, how well does he have to do. Prices are INSANE right now. Again, JMO but, we shall see.

I agree, his prices are insane. Even people buying at current high hype levels are not going to turn around a take a loss on a quick flip though. I do think his prices will drop but not close to 20% in a few weeks. Once prices are this high, it takes a while for them to drop to reasonable levels, just too many people guarding their investments or people adding to their personal collections before prices get any crazier.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I agree, his prices are insane. Even people buying at current high hype levels are not going to turn around a take a loss on a quick flip though. I do think his prices will drop but not close to 20% in a few weeks. Once prices are this high, it takes a while for them to drop to reasonable levels, just too many people guarding their investments or people adding to their personal collections before prices get any crazier.

I could see this being true. But what it could come down to is how many people try to cash in on the hype right now? If enough people start to list his cards and try and cash in on auctions there may be enough inventory/chances on ebay where you see some auctions go for reasonably lower prices. A 20% drop sound like a lot, but take for example his Bowman draft auto selling for 700-800 dollars then seeing them drop to
600-650 isnt unreasonable. I corrected this to make it more on point

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
7 by Matt LaPorta.

Obviously my comment as well as your response were jokes, but out of curiosity I looked up some information.

The record is 2 by Bob Nieman in 1951 and Keith McDonald '00 (who interestingly hit 3 career HR and is the only player with more than 1 career HR with no other base hits).

117 players have hit a HR in their 1st AB, the most recent being Jorge Soler last year

Also in the Cubs lineup today, Starlin Castro did it as part of his 6 RBI debut in '10

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
First at bat in MLB and he strikes out on three pitches. Sell, sell, sell !!!!!!!!!!!!!

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Lets not forget, in the top of the 1st he started what was 'undoubtedly the greatest 5-4-3 double play in the history of Wrigley Field' -Jim Deshaies

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts