Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOLEEEEY! Butler's Brad Stevens takes the Celtics head coaching Job...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
It takes ALOT in today's sports world to shock me but this one did.

Butler's head coach, Brad Stevens, has agreed to become the next Head Coach for the Boston Celtics. Official announcement is due Friday.

Holy, what a gutsy move by both ends of the deal.

Whatever his future turns out to be, there is no Doubt that Stevens had an historic run at Butler. His back-to-back Finals is the biggest accomplishment since the Gators' repeat IMO. But man, the NBA is a completely different game, especially on a re-building team, and in Boston? Yikes!

Just ask Rick Pitino...:lol:

Last edited:

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Seems like a good hire for Boston. If he's a hit he'll develop the young guys they've picked up in the trades and draft and if not they were supposed to be bad anyway.

Then again, I always thought Stevens was going to go to OKC when he made the leap. Boston is very surprising. I'm gue$$ing he had $ome good rea$on$.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Well, at least he won't over-evaluate his former players like the Godfather did in Boston.

Heck, maybe 4 players Total from Butler have what it takes to play, even internationally...

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
So to be fair I don't know much about college sports, let alone the coaches.

From what I've heard, he's in line with the new wave of analytics with the sport as well as he still knows the the players are the stars. The first part meshes well with the Celtics front office who have produced the "money ball" type front office staff including Daryl Morey with the Rockets. The second part proves he isn't a Patino or Calipari who have failed in the NBA.

I think this is a long term commitment, so whether the idea is tanking or not this year he's going to be there for a while.

I don't see this or any of the other moves as having any impact on the rondo situation. If they get the right offer they'll move him, otherwise they're keeping him at a relatively good cap number.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
So to be fair I don't know much about college sports, let alone the coaches.

From what I've heard, he's in line with the new wave of analytics with the sport as well as he still knows the the players are the stars. The first part meshes well with the Celtics front office who have produced the "money ball" type front office staff including Daryl Morey with the Rockets. The second part proves he isn't a Patino or Calipari who have failed in the NBA.

I think this is a long term commitment, so whether the idea is tanking or not this year he's going to be there for a while.

I don't see this or any of the other moves as having any impact on the rondo situation. If they get the right offer they'll move him, otherwise they're keeping him at a relatively good cap number.

That's an interesting synopsis on the Rondo situation. From afar (waaaaay afar, where we don't even have an NBA team anymore:evil:) I just take it as Rondo is already gone in Beantown.) I can't quote anything specifically that makes me say that right now, it's just the feeling I have had growing since the middle of last year...

As for Stevens...:eek: That was my exact face when I read that he was coming to the Celtics!

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Hopefully this helps Michigan in their recruitment of Trevon Bluiett. His 2 leaders are Michigan and Butler, and Stevens had to be the best thing about Butler's program. Rumors going around though that Michigan assistant coach Lavall Jordan could be the frontrunner for the Butler job, so who knows.

Members online

Latest posts