Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2000 MLB Showdown 1st Edition vs Unlimited question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Ok, so I've seen a ton of listings for the 2000 MLB Showdown Pennant Run 1st Edition cards (with the little '1' in a foul circle), and I've seen a handful of listings for the Unlimited cards (basically cards without the '1'). How were the Unlimited cards distributed? Were they just inserted in regular 2000 MLB Showdown Pennant Run booster packs? While they don't really seem to command a premium, they seem a lot tougher to find than the 1st Edition cards.

Does anyone know the background on these? Does the whole set exist in both versions?

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
I am sure you probably have already seen this link, but in case you haven't, go here: http://www.showdowncards.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=1

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The 2000 Pennant Run Expansion Set was released in July and took into account many of the trades and rookies not reflected in the Base Set. Like the Base Set, the Pennant Run Expansion was released in 1st and Unlimited Editions. The Pennant Run Expansion was packaged in booster packs."[/FONT]

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
2001 MLB
Showdown
1st Edition

MLB Showdown returned
for a second season in 2001.
Issued as a 50-card starter
set, a 60-card “Draft Pack”
and in nine-card booster
packs, the set has 416 “regular”
player cards, 46 premium
holofoil star cards and 75
strategy cards. The holo premium
cards were inserted in
booster packs at a rate of 1:3.
Promo cards were locally distributed.
While collectors
compete with gamers for
these cards in the market, relative
values placed on the
cards by each group of buyers
may differ. Cards without the
silver-foil “1st Edition” logo
were released in booster
packs and are worth about half
the prices shown here.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
"Like the Base Set, the Pennant Run Expansion was released in 1st and Unlimited Editions. The Pennant Run Expansion was packaged in booster packs."

That doesn't really answer my question, though. Were 1st Edition and Unlimited released separately or in the same booster packs?

If I'm reading [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION]'s message correctly, does that mean 1st Edition were only in Starter packs and Unlimited in boosters?

Long story even longer, I'm trying to determine whether or not the 2000 MLB Showdown Pennant Run Unlimited card of Roberto Kelly exists, and if so, to locate a copy.

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Anyone else? I'd really like to know whether or not I can just knock this Roberto Kelly card off my want list. If I knew what box to buy to get the unlimited cards, I might even bust one just to find the card and post the rest on Sportlots or eCrater or something.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Anyone else? I'd really like to know whether or not I can just knock this Roberto Kelly card off my want list. If I knew what box to buy to get the unlimited cards, I might even bust one just to find the card and post the rest on Sportlots or eCrater or something.

It must exist, I own some of the Unlimiteds, and there are several available on Sportlots and COMC. I don't know how they were issued, but I think in some years, the packs had the Unlimiteds and the Starter Kits had the 1st Edition.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Ok, I finally found a non-1st Edition pack on eBay. So apparently there were two separate booster packs, 1st Edition and non-1st Edition, which were later called Unlimited. The 1st Edition cards have the 1st emblem on the upper left corner of the packs.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Ok, I finally found a non-1st Edition pack on eBay. So apparently there were two separate booster packs, 1st Edition and non-1st Edition, which were later called Unlimited. The 1st Edition cards have the 1st emblem on the upper left corner of the packs.

So does that confirm your Roberto exists? Or still not sure each player was made?

Ryan

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
My pile of Showdown cards arrived from France. Shockingly it only took 5 days to get here. Naturally, in a stack of cards with rounded corners, some how my Roberto Kelly is the only card to actually have a bent "corner". Of the 50+ cards that arrived, 39 were the "Unlimited" version, 13 were "1st Edition", 6 were 2001 Gen Con promos and 6 were foil. From the numbering of the Gen Con promo cards, I'm wondering if the whole 2001 set was done, or just certain cards. Beckett only recognizes the Ichiro. I'm thinking the 6 cards might be a complete "set".

Given the condition of most of the cards, I suspect the original owner actually used them to play the game. They're not in bad shape (aside from the Kelly), but I wouldn't expect any 9s or 10s if graded.

I'm assuming these cards just aren't very popular with collectors as the non-1st edition cards seem to be much more difficult to find than the 1st edition cards, yet there is no noticeable price differential. At the same time, there just aren't all that many unlimited cards listed anywhere.

Here are the cards I got (all are available):

Unlimited:
001 Kent Bottenfield
008 Armando Reynoso
010 Todd Stottlemyre
014 Kevin McGlinchy
015 Terry Mulholland
020 Manny Alexander
023 Bret Saberhagen
030 Eric Young
032 Mark L. Johnson
035 Dante Bichette
046 Tom Goodwin
050 Brent Mayne
051 Doug Brocail
056 Brant Brown
057 Alex Fernandez
059 Dan Miceli
067 Brad Rigby
068 Blake Stein
069 Mac Suzuki
072 Kevin Elster
078 Dave Weathers
079 Hector Carrasco
080 Eddie Guardado
084 Hideki Irabu
091 Todd Pratt
095 Jim Leyritz
096 Ramiro Mendoza
113 Matt Clement
114 Carlos Hernandez
115 Ryan Klesko
116 Dave Magadan
121 Joe Nathan
124 Gil Meche
126 Arthur Rhodes
130 Darryl Kile
138 Esteban Yan
143 Kenny Rogers
146 Chris Carpenter
148 Alex Gonzalez

Foil
041 Greg Maddux (1st Ed)
064 Moises Alou
150 Raul Mondesi
297 David Cone (1st Ed)
359 Tony Gwynn (1st Ed)

2001 Gen Con promos
008 CC Sabathia
017 Juan Pierre
084 Wes Helms
087 Ben Sheets
127 Luis Rivas
169 Ichiro

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
20160520_154320.jpg
2000MLBShowdown94.jpg

Identical except for that tiny foil stamp in the lower left corner. I'm wondering, if there is a major difference in production between the two versions, if this is a set that will pick up interest in the future, or if people just really don't like game cards. Japan has tons of game sets between Future Bee, Konami and Bandai, but outside using them with the games, no one seems all that interested in them as collectibles.

Members online

No members online now.