Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tim McCarver to step down from Fox after season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Y! SPORTS

NEW YORK (AP) -- Tim McCarver will make his 55th straight season of Major League Baseball his last.

The two-time champion catcher will call the World Series this year and then retire from his analyst job at Fox.

''I wanted to step down while I know I can still do the job and proud of the job I've done,'' the 71-year-old McCarver said during a conference call Wednesday.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Thank goodness... he could be replaced with pretty much ANYBODY (including Gilbert Gottfried) and the game would be easier to watch. He was a great baseball man... I just never cared for him in the booth and do wish him the best of luck in retirement!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
The guy is 71 years old and deserves a break.

I can't say I've had a problem with him, I've grown accustomed to the sound of his voice.

No complaints from me... mostly because I usually don't listen too carefully to what the announcers say anyway.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Tim McCarver is leaving the Fox booth after the 2013 season. Now what this means is that McCarver will no longer be the primary Fox baseball announcer next year. Next year, Tim McCarver won't be announcing, and Fox will have to hire someone else. This year, Tim McCarver will be announcing, but next year he won't.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The beauty of McCarver was that you could go an entire game and never hear about the fact that he was a player...unlike Joe Morgan.

McCarver "dumbed down" baseball to try to get more people to understand the subtleties...hardly a "fault" in the eyes of the masses. The problem is baseball snobs crucified him for his drawn out explanations.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
hopefully his autos price will go down then....All I have is a IP
McCARVERTIM.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I never had the Vile contempt for him that most Fans do (or Buck either), but I do think he was slipping the last coupla years.

Judging from the awful announcing crews working for the big networks and in their studios right now I can't think of One announcer I could nominate for his replacement...

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I never had the Vile contempt for him that most Fans do (or Buck either), but I do think he was slipping the last coupla years.

Judging from the awful announcing crews working for the big networks and in their studios right now I can't think of One announcer I could nominate for his replacement...
Agreed.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008

Steve Stone would be perfect for it.... but I don't want him to leave the White Sox... he makes White Sox games watchable.... loved him in the Cubs booth for all those years as well.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
My problem with McCarver is that he always pulls these ideas out of his ass that he thinks is actually occurring on the field. Or maybe he just says stuff like this to make himself seem more knowledgeable to the common viewer. I've heard dozens of them but the two that stick out in my mind:

I forget who the Phillies were playing but Chase Utley ripped a ball down the RF line and turned first to go for a double and clearly slipped and fell so he had to retreat. McCarver's call on the replay (paraphrasing): Utley rips the ball down the line and thinks about two but then puts on the brakes because he realizes who is on deck, his slugging partner Ryan Howard. Why risk getting thrown out at second with that man on deck?

Uh, no. That's not how Utley plays. He's balls to the wall. There weren't even 2 outs (I remember b/c it was such an asinine comment). Utley was definitely going for two.

The second one is even more absurd. I forget who was pitching but they were playing the Yankees and Brett Gardner was a runner on first. First pitch was a foul ball right off the umpire's mask and rung his bell a little bit. Catcher gave him some time. Now with 0-1 count, the pitcher threw to first about 4 or 5 times in a row. McCarver's take (again paraphrasing): See, now this is what is great about baseball. Here you have a pitcher intentionally throwing to first to give the umpire some more time to recover from that foul ball off his mask.

This one was particularly great b/c Buck intervened: Or he could be worried about Gardner stealing 2nd.

McCarver (awkward chuckle): Well, that too.

TraderJake

Aug 7, 2008
In my view, as good as the Yankees were in the first half of this game, that's how as bad they've been now.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I still think that if it weren't for Buck, McCarver wouldn't seem so bad.

Hard to explain it, but when they are on together Buck seems to make McCarver seem even worse. (and it isn't because Buck is any good)

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

yes, it's too bad FOX and TBS and MLB Network don't have "Natural Sound" SAPs so when you get sick -- or hate -- the annnouncers, you can put on natural sound and enjoy the game more or less like you would in person.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
yes, it's too bad FOX and TBS and MLB Network don't have "Natural Sound" SAPs so when you get sick -- or hate -- the annnouncers, you can put on natural sound and enjoy the game more or less like you would in person.

Well last year in the postseason our local FOX station didn't have any announcers for the NLDS games.

I thought it was a one inning "natural sounds" thingy, but when they were interviewing the manager and their was just stadium noise I knew it wasn't supposed to be that way.

I couldn't find anything on the internet about it, so it must have been a local thing (how I don't know).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts