Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Musial deathbed auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
I saw this for sale on another site, and I found a few similar on ebay. I am not calling any of them fake and I don't know the members who have them posted. I know what Musial's auto generally looks like over the years and this is pretty bad. As a Musial or HOF collector, would you buy this?

http://i.imgur.com/2sWvQ2B.jpg

A_Pharis

That's on par with what the latest ones look like.
I wouldn't mind owning it... to me, it shows his dedication to making sure he provided as many signatures as he could. A lot of people scold Topps for "forcing" him to sign so much, but Stan was VERY well known to never turn down the opportunity to sign his name.

I think this exhibits that.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
If I were a Musial collector I would definitely buy it. It's a little morbid when you put it as a "deathbed" autograph, but as Adam says above, it shows Stan's dedication to the fans and I would pick up any and all "later years" Stan autos if I collected him.

Howver, as one who recently started to collect HOF autos, I'm looking to have one per player. Since I'm looking for just one, I'd like to have a nicer copy. Aesthetically speaking, Stans earlier autos are far superior so I personally wouldn't buy it.

Just my 2 cents

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I have two Musial on-card auto's and one logo patch auto, all 3 are his beautiful flowing signature. But with that being said I would still consider buying this as a 4th PC auto; I think this shows a little bit of how attached he was to the game his whole life.

A_Pharis

What, exactly, disturbs you about it? Sure, it was signed late in life, but you don't honestly think he was signing this as he died, right?
The guy loved signing autographs, and I don't think he was at the point where he NEEDED money from the card companies. If you were to see him late in life at an event, it wouldn't thrill you to have someone so willing to please fans sign something for you - despite the appearance? Regardless, it was signed by one of the most beloved players of all-time.

These Musials sigs are far from disgraceful. They're reminders that some players are willing to embrace their fans far beyond the field.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
I'm not truly "disturbed" by the autos. I know that autos tend to change over the years, especially as guys age. These just struck me a particularly off-putting, given what we had seen from Stan in the past. It bothers me (a little, it's not truly a huge deal) that they are released. If I were part of the production group, I would absolutely raise an objection to releasing it, but I'm sure my objection would be seen as an industry anomaly.

Personally, I'd never buy an auto like this. There are so many better options that I wouldn't be happy with it. I appreciate that Stan was signing til the end, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I guess I didn't really mean for this to look like I was trying to condemn what he was doing. I just don't think it was in his best interest.

Members online