Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Iconic 1980s cards/sets...???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Hey guys / gals -

Thought Id see what collectors thoughts are on iconic cards/sets. I wanted to start w/ the 80s and will move on to the early 90's, then maybe year by year after that. Post what cards / sets you think are (not looking for past tense), but those that lasted for the most part. I will list some quick ones (If you disagree post that also), please feel free to add. Thanks
Ryan

*****Updated w suggested ones*****

1980:
Topps Rickey Henderson

1981:
Topps Fernando, Raines, Gibson
TT Fernando
Fleer Fernado

1982:
Topps Ripken
Topps Traded Ripken
Does anyone feel the Score and Fleer ones are?

1983:
Topps Boggs, Gwynn, Sandberg, TT Strawberry

1984:
Fleer Update Puckett, Clemens, Gooden
Donruss Mattingly
Topps Mattingly

1985:
Topps McGwire
Tiffany McGwire
Donruss Eric Davis

1986:
Donruss Canseco
Donruss Rookies Bonds, Clark, Bo
TT Tiffany Bonds, Bo, Clark, Canseco

1987:
Fleer Bonds, Clark, Bo, Larkin
Fleer Glossy Bonds
Donruss OD Ray/Bonds
Donruss Bo, Maddux

1988:
Score Glossy Biggio, Grace, Alomar
Donruss Jefferies

1989:
UD Griffey
UD Reverse Murphy
TT Tiffany Griffey
Bowman Tiffany Griffey
Fleer Marlboro Johnson
Fleer FF Ripken
Baseball Best Griffey, Sosa

Ryan

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
YUP! I was going to say that. It's probably the most iconic card of the 80's

I'd also add the "marlboro" Randy Johnson to the list.

Good addition w the Ripken, def think it should make its way into most collections. The Randy, yes tuff, iconic I'm on fence..

Ryan

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I think you are mistaking iconic with what once perhaps was valued and in demand on most of them. Iconic, in the context of cards, is a card that defined the hobby like the 86D Canseco or the 84D Mattingly.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Once upon a time I would have included these, but...I guess life happened:

1982 Fleer John Littlefield error
1984 Topps Don Mattingly
1985 Donruss Eric Davis
1987 Donruss Bo Jackson
1988 Donruss Gregg Jefferies

I was just looking at a 1991 copy of Baseball Cards Magazine, and immediately remembered why no one took them serious as a price guide:

1981 Topps Rickey Henderson $35
1983 Donruss & Fleer Howard Johnson $10
1984 Topps Traded Mark Langston $12
1985 Topps Cory Snyder $3
1987 Topps Kevin Mitchell $4
1987 Topps Jose Canseco $6
1987 Topps Mike Greenwell $3
1987 Topps Bobby Bonilla $4

Even in 1991, when all of those players (except Snyder and Greenwell) were at the height of their powers, those prices were absurd.

GF Yankees Fan

Aug 9, 2011
Iconic might be pushing it but the 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux deserves some love. Also the 1987 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds/Johnny Ray Error card was a pretty big deal at one point.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think you are mistaking iconic with what once perhaps was valued and in demand on most of them. Iconic, in the context of cards, is a card that defined the hobby like the 86D Canseco or the 84D Mattingly.

I agree the title has some flaws in terms of definition. Iconic may not be the best word, but I am looking for cards that basically if you were making a collection I the 80s, that card should probably make its way into the collection. It's either as you state was that big of discussion in the hobby and still remains important or the key card of HOF players that should be considered important enough to include in a "must" have if you were building an 80s collection.

Like I said w my OP I was throwing some out and if people differed feel free to say no that doesn't belong etc.

Thanks
Ryan

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
1989 Donruss Base Balls Best

The orange 88's were way sweeter

Also, not enough love up top for '87 Fleer. The Clark and Bo (and someday Larkin) from that set were way more sought after than the '86 XRCs in my neighborhood. I remember the Bo booking $20 and the Clark $35 at one point. Crazy

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Iconic might be pushing it but the 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux deserves some love. Also the 1987 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds/Johnny Ray Error card was a pretty big deal at one point.

Agree that the Bonds/Ray was a key error card and still brings nice money.

Ryan

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
I'd add the '89 UD Murphy reverse negative.......and although inexpensive now, the '88 Donruss Gregg Jefferies was a hobby force until Griffey hit the scene.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Iconic cards normally feature both iconic players and iconic sets. I'd think what's iconic to a real collector wouldn't be iconic to a non-collector, but if many non-collectors know about the card then the card is unquestionably iconic.

I'd say

'84 Mattingly (probably Topps because more non-collectors probably know Topps and not Donruss)
'85 McGwire
'89 Fleer Bill Ripken
'89 UD Griffey
'90 Score Bo Jackson

I don't think non-collectors know of any other cards. Possibly a Gooden or Canseco or Strawberry, but not necessarily their rookie years. More non-collectors probably know/knew about Gooden or Canseco or Straw than Clemens, but I'm not sure, maybe it depends where in the country you're talking about.

Edit: Maybe Ripken, but he was pictured with two other players - so probably not.

Perhaps asking a non-collecting relative who is old enough will provide valuable insight.

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'd add the '89 UD Murphy reverse negative.......and although inexpensive now, the '88 Donruss Gregg Jefferies was a hobby force until Griffey hit the scene.

I agree w the Murphy... Jefferies was, but didnt really hold up for more than a year or two. But the Murphy yeah it was a talk for multi years.

Anyone else have some to add?

Ryan

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The 1981 Topps and Fleer Fernando Valenzuela rookie cards were extremely popular during the national frenzy over Fernandomania, which was as big as today's hype of Puig, Trout and Harper, especially since there was no internet.
Those Valenzuela rookies are iconic and memorable to veteran collectors and longtime fans.

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
Need some 1981 votes in there...
With the stipulation of them being high-grade copies, I'd vote for the following:

I second the vote for the '81 Topps Valenzuela. It was a hot card for quite a few years. And seriously, how could you not include someone who had a "mania" named after him?

I'd also vote for the '81 Topps Kirk Gibson. There's a reason that PSA 9's sell for around $75, on average.

Additionally, the '81 Topps Traded Valenzuela and Tim Raines.

The entire 1986 Donruss The Rookies set was very popular for quite a few years; Bo, Will Clark, Bonds, etc.

Great thread, by the way! I started collecting in 1980, so I actually remember a lot of these being the "chase" cards!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Need some 1981 votes in there...
With the stipulation of them being high-grade copies, I'd vote for the following:

I second the vote for the '81 Topps Valenzuela. It was a hot card for quite a few years. And seriously, how could you not include someone who had a "mania" named after him?

I'd also vote for the '81 Topps Kirk Gibson. There's a reason that PSA 9's sell for around $75, on average.

Additionally, the '81 Topps Traded Valenzuela and Tim Raines.

The entire 1986 Donruss The Rookies set was very popular for quite a few years; Bo, Will Clark, Bonds, etc.

Great thread, by the way! I started collecting in 1980, so I actually remember a lot of these being the "chase" cards!

Yeah the Raines is another most should have and the Donruss RCs set has a nice selection. The Gibson I had no idea 9s brought that, though as you stated it's a card that may be desirable based on grade only for the most part.

I started this thread as for the most part I don't PC much of anything except Will Clark. But I want to expand n I think I may put some effort in 2014 putting together a 80s collection. So I was just looking for ideas and also thought it would be nice to assemble a list for others. I mean I could of assembled a list myself but I like hearing input.

Besides what's been said, anything else? What about Minor League key cards, what are some late 70s-89 Minor ones that should be in collections?

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts