Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I will admit that the mirror golds are not my specialty - I've relied on others to provide information with these so I'm very curious as to what this board knows. We'll also have to factor in that there are still a lot of Griffey collectors that are out there who do not even go on these types of boards so our accounting for doesn't mean that's it.

Glad you're excited for this. May get a bit confusing and information overload but I'm looking forward to a top 10 list of Griffey Cards that we consider the rarest out there. With of course a few runner ups :)

Regarding the 2000 Ovation /10 there was a seller on Ebay named px(something) listing one which if I recall was 6/10 and also when I sent him a PM he claimed to own 1/10. I've seen 2/10 posted before on blowout card forums.

So that's

1/10
2/10
6/10

Really regret not saving a pic of his listed but I know it was there and he pulled it deciding to keep it. >24 hours left and only at 600 so I think he may have gotten a bit worried.

Saved this one from BlowOut awhile ago so anyone else with info or pics please post them!

JBiD43e.jpg

Yeah I was pretty disappointed he pulled that auction. I had quite a healthy snipe set. I probably should have bid it up so that he felt compelled to let it run.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Just like current cards, a /25 bowman chrome carries a different value than a /25 topps finest or topps chrome. It's no different throughout the 90s. EX was more expensive than Ultra, and thus the marqee of the cut above would bring more value than the Gold Medallions. It's more like 5-6 sellers that are paying these higher than normal prices. I got paid on my cut above, I know Thomas got paid on the crazy prices he got on some auctions. I'm not justifying $555, but since I started back collections in 2011, over half the cards I sold originally doubled in value.

Same me thing with the gold starquest. There are /100, but across how much product? They are still
printing collectors choice! I agree unnumbered supposed short print cards def get hurt in value. Just read the article on baseballcardpedia about 97 certified. It went through 5 printings!

As a Bagwell collector, I can say that the seller Wolverine on ebay had an ungodly amount of the donruss limited exposure Bagwell cards. Not sure what he had of other players like Griffey but if I had to guess...I'd say there were more than 40 of those produced. Simply due to overprinting for replacements and whatnot. I mean he literally listed them over and over until they all sold. Not sure where he got them...

As for the 97 certified...I also seriously doubt the /30 print run claimed by Beckett and whoever else. I've seen way too many pop up over the last 8 years. I think 96' is legit in their print run though. They truly are tough to find. I find one of those and it'll be an all out war to win it I'm sure.

As for the GM's, they pop up but they can be tough. I think the last one I needed for Bagwell was the on base leaders and I won it for $8. Not much yeah...but they never pop up. IMO, they really are underrated. Don't think I've seen one in a couple of years but I could be wrong since I wasn't looking for another.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013
Way off subject but could someone please explain to me the variations of the 2000 Upper Deck Patch cards? Not Griffey but using Ripken for reference - each card has the exact same number on the back but one has 1999 and the other 2000 I wasn't aware that 1999 UD had these patches? If so, what were the odds compared to 2000's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Upper-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-UD-Gam...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The 2000 ud patch is the one with the bird,the other is 2001 ud patch.I collect them and people seems to miss place the year or dont have good references on those patches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013
The 2000 ud patch is the one with the bird,the other is 2001 ud patch.I collect them and people seems to miss place the year or dont have good references on those patches.

Odds on 2000 patches series 1 were 1;10,000 packs series 2 were 1;7,500 on 2001 patches stayed 1;7,500

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013
Way off subject but could someone please explain to me the variations of the 2000 Upper Deck Patch cards? Not Griffey but using Ripken for reference - each card has the exact same number on the back but one has 1999 and the other 2000 I wasn't aware that 1999 UD had these patches? If so, what were the odds compared to 2000's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Upper-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-UD-Gam...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Both links are 2000 ud patches,series 1 and 2 ripken.By the way did you bought one of them?

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014
Both links are 2000 ud patches,series 1 and 2 ripken.By the way did you bought one of them?

That doesn't make sense though, both being from 2000 UD? As one has 1999 on the back and one has 2000 - unless there was a huge delay in series releases?

I think [MENTION=10889]GameJerseyPR[/MENTION] answered it the best that the one with the bird is 2000 and the other is 2001 and the cards are dated a year prior to release or manufacturing/season date as basketball/footbal are like 1999-2000 or 2001-2002

So the 1999 bird patch is 2000 Upper Deck and the 2000 is 2001 Upper Deck.

Last edited:

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
That doesn't make sense though, both being from 2000 UD? As one has 1999 on the back and one has 2000 - unless there was a huge delay in series releases?

I think @GameJerseyPR answered it the best that the one with the bird is 2000 and the other is 2001 and the cards are dated a year prior to release or manufacturing/season date as basketball/footbal are like 1999-2000 or 2001-2002

So the 1999 bird patch is 2000 Upper Deck and the 2000 is 2001 Upper Deck.

No, they are both 2000 Upper Deck. Look at baseballcardpedia.com. There were two different Cal Ripken patch cards in 2000 Upper Deck. One in series 1 and the other in series 2. The 2001 Patch cards look completely different. From what I remember, the series 1 patch cards were 1:10000 packs, and the series 2 were 1:7500.

Sometimes a release has a previous year's copyright date on it. A good example of that is with the early 90's Donruss Elites. People are always getting the year wrong on those.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
As a Bagwell collector, I can say that the seller Wolverine on ebay had an ungodly amount of the donruss limited exposure Bagwell cards. Not sure what he had of other players like Griffey but if I had to guess...I'd say there were more than 40 of those produced. Simply due to overprinting for replacements and whatnot. I mean he literally listed them over and over until they all sold. Not sure where he got them...

As for the 97 certified...I also seriously doubt the /30 print run claimed by Beckett and whoever else. I've seen way too many pop up over the last 8 years. I think 96' is legit in their print run though. They truly are tough to find. I find one of those and it'll be an all out war to win it I'm sure.

Does Bags have a star factor? May have mentioned it on here previously but those were supposed to have a print run of less than 40 and I remember reading someone speaking with a Donruss rep back in the day that told him there were 38 printed.

Regarding the '97 Certified, I actually was referring to the Certified Team Mirror Golds which had an original print run of /25 but rumors about another run are abound; wish I were on these boards years back where I'm sure this topic was covered. Given what I've read about and seen on these boards, my estimated print run for the base Mirror Golds is ~100; as for the Certified Team Mirror Golds, while I've read sources say that upwards of 50-75 were printed (due to the multiple print runs), I've only seen or heard about 4 being in collectors' hands since 2005.

GameJerseyPR

Oct 21, 2013
No, they are both 2000 Upper Deck. Look at baseballcardpedia.com. There were two different Cal Ripken patch cards in 2000 Upper Deck. One in series 1 and the other in series 2. The 2001 Patch cards look completely different. From what I remember, the series 1 patch cards were 1:10000 packs, and the series 2 were 1:7500.

Sometimes a release has a previous year's copyright date on it. A good example of that is with the early 90's Donruss Elites. People are always getting the year wrong on those.

Agree with that!!!

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC

As for the GM's, they pop up but they can be tough. I think the last one I needed for Bagwell was the on base leaders and I won it for $8. Not much yeah...but they never pop up. IMO, they really are underrated. Don't think I've seen one in a couple of years but I could be wrong since I wasn't looking for another.

Yeah, those 1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Golds and Donruss Limited issues are some of the best examples. There may truly have been that number in packs, but backdoor shenanigans led to more being produced and hitting the market.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Yeah, those 1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Golds and Donruss Limited issues are some of the best examples. There may truly have been that number in packs, but backdoor shenanigans led to more being produced and hitting the market.

I remember back in 1997 at my local card shop, a guy there hit a 1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Gold Mike Piazza. It booked at $1200 at the time, comparable to the 1996 Mirror Golds (since they were essentially the same pack odds). It's a shame how many releases they put out because of the demand for it (based on the success of the very limited 1996 product) and then everything being backdoored after that. You can't ever really trust cards that aren't serial numbered from Donruss or Pinnacle from 1997 and 1998.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I remember back in 1997 at my local card shop, a guy there hit a 1997 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Gold Mike Piazza. It booked at $1200 at the time, comparable to the 1996 Mirror Golds (since they were essentially the same pack odds). It's a shame how many releases they put out because of the demand for it (based on the success of the very limited 1996 product) and then everything being backdoored after that. You can't ever really trust cards that aren't serial numbered from Donruss or Pinnacle from 1997 and 1998.

It's really tough to tell. I considered starting a thread about it once. There are also many non-numbered inserts from back then that (so far) really do appear to be rare. You also have to wonder, though, when a stash might appear if someone's been sitting on them.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Does Bags have a star factor? May have mentioned it on here previously but those were supposed to have a print run of less than 40 and I remember reading someone speaking with a Donruss rep back in the day that told him there were 38 printed.

Regarding the '97 Certified, I actually was referring to the Certified Team Mirror Golds which had an original print run of /25 but rumors about another run are abound; wish I were on these boards years back where I'm sure this topic was covered. Given what I've read about and seen on these boards, my estimated print run for the base Mirror Golds is ~100; as for the Certified Team Mirror Golds, while I've read sources say that upwards of 50-75 were printed (due to the multiple print runs), I've only seen or heard about 4 being in collectors' hands since 2005.

Unless my memory is way off then yes he does have one. I think it's been hinted at in the 90's thread but somebody like George Calfas would know more than I do. I just don't believe the supposed print run info.

Members online

No members online now.