Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RIP FCB Retail Store

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Glad you'll be here more. Kinda surprised since I know you said magic was a big seller there. Locally, gaming is doing a lot of good by keeping guys in business and profitable. Sorry it didn't work out man.

And sorry, but I hope Bama loses. Badly...😏

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Blast from the past....

cgilmo's GMAIL HACKED

8170378100_6507ffe688_b.jpg

Last edited:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I have noticed that we ave seen less and less of the "I am starting a card shop" threads and maybe this one will put an end to them once and for all. If the FCB store cannot make it in good economic times than the chances of anyone else making it are slim and none. I had a shop for nine years and cried nearly every week when I did the books because I was barely making a living at it despite the fact it was my dream for years.

It is like someone once said to me when I bought a snowmobile......the happiest day of your life is when you buy it and the second happiest day of your life is when you sell (or close) it!.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I have noticed that we ave seen less and less of the "I am starting a card shop" threads and maybe this one will put an end to them once and for all. If the FCB store cannot make it in good economic times than the chances of anyone else making it are slim and none. I had a shop for nine years and cried nearly every week when I did the books because I was barely making a living at it despite the fact it was my dream for years.

It is like someone once said to me when I bought a snowmobile......the happiest day of your life is when you buy it and the second happiest day of your life is when you sell (or close) it!.

I think it can be done as a part of something else. Sports cards can't be all you do. Look at major retailers, if they can carry them then so can you. However I think the days of the specialty shop might be numbered.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I think it can be done as a part of something else. Sports cards can't be all you do. Look at major retailers, if they can carry them then so can you. However I think the days of the specialty shop might be numbered.

I think you are right to a point. The major retailers have someone set up the displays and sell the product basically on consignment and take zero risk if product does not sell. How many times have we heard about WalMart, Target and others dealing with a distributor who maintains their displays and only pays the distributor when product is sold. If you are a major retailer you have the power to demand these types of perks but a small shop owner, be it an antique store, a convenience store or any other small retailer, you must buy the product and be stuck with whatever does not sell. These small retailers are less likely to purchase the high dollar boxes we are seeing becoming the norm in our hobby and are only willing to risk lower dollar packs.

Like it or not this hobby, in terms of unopened, is moving to online retailers or even box breakers because of the expense involved. As a vintage collector I have not been tempted to buy anything modern but I do have to admit the box break concept has intrigued me enough to make me consider getting into a few breaks for a fraction of the cost of what a modern box will run me.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Chris is working a demanding full time job and then spending the rest of his waking hours working at the store. Knowing Mrs. Gilmore I'm sure she will enjoy the extra time she has with the big guy.

or she will divorce him because he's around way too much now. jk and ;)

Members online