Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What is the story on STAR cards from the 80's/90's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
All you need for Griffey Jr is these (I will check with what I have left and let you know if you are interested):

1988 Star Silver Series promo
1988 Star Silver Series 9 card set
1988-89 Star promo
1988-89 Star Purple Ad Card
1988-89 Star Yellow promo
1989 Star Yellow Back 11 card set
1989 Star Nova promo
1989 Star Nova 9 card set

accally these are whats left for 1989
STAR YELLOW BACKS #1
STAR YELLOW BACKS #2
STAR YELLOW BACKS #3
STAR YELLOW BACKS #4
STAR YELLOW BACKS #5
STAR YELLOW BACKS #6
STAR YELLOW BACKS #7
STAR YELLOW BACKS #8
STAR YELLOW BACKS #9
STAR YELLOW BACKS #1 1
STAR #1 18
STAR #1 19
STAR #1 20
STAR #1 21
STAR #1 22
STAR #1 23
STAR #1 24
STAR #1 25
STAR #1 26
STAR #PROMO
STAR AD #9 (REGULAR PURPLE)
STAR SILVER EDITION #1
STAR SILVER EDITION #2
STAR SILVER EDITION #3
STAR SILVER EDITION #4
STAR SILVER EDITION #5
STAR SILVER EDITION #6
STAR SILVER EDITION #7
STAR SILVER EDITION #8
STAR SILVER EDITION #9
STAR SILVER EDITION #PROMO
STAR PROMOS #1 7(WHITEBACK SET-BLUEWHITE BORDERS)
STAR PROMOS #1 8(YELLOW BACK SET-YELLOW BORDERS)

nicsnolans

Mar 11, 2020
1989 Star Glossy Nolan Ryan?

I actually JUST picked up a 1986 star sealed set w/the Canseco auto on the front & hand numbered, too. I already had one sealed (and one out of the package) but the price was mega enticing, plus what it was numbered to had significant meaning for me.

Any idea where I might locate any of the 1989 Star Glossy - Nolan Ryan? I believe is 11 cards and a promo.

nicsnolans

Mar 11, 2020
Anyone have any idea where I might locate any of the 1989 Star Glossy - Nolan Ryan? I believe is 11 cards and a promo.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I know this is a player collection focused post but anyone have good working knowledge of the 1989 Star Minor League Glossy Sets?

My memory from that period is that there were only 500 glossy sets produced of each team set but I've seen numbers from 100 to 1500 thrown out there by others. Can anyone confirm?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
A couple things to add to this thread.

- There's glossy version of the 1989 Alomar Brothers set. It's blue instead of brownish. Never seen one before today...and yes I bought one immediately!

s-l1600.jpg

- There's also a promo for this set, also blue:

1989 star glossy promo.jpg

Tfangman

Jun 4, 2015
Is there any good way to distinguish between glossy and non glossy without the packaged label showing the numbering?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
With that Alomar set the card color is the way to tell. Normal set is tan or brownish, glossy is blue. With others, I dunno. I kinda wish I did know though, these old Star sets have become more interesting to me over time.

Is there any good way to distinguish between glossy and non glossy without the packaged label showing the numbering?

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Maybe this will help some people. I know a lot more but am working on other stuff right now this will keep folks busy for a while. Check out the Docs book also when you get the chance. A quick blurb for those in New England Rotmans was the official NE Region distributor. The Doc handled the Midwest.

Tfangman

Jun 4, 2015
With that Alomar set the card color is the way to tell. Normal set is tan or brownish, glossy is blue. With others, I dunno. I kinda wish I did know though, these old Star sets have become more interesting to me over time.

Agreed! I viewed them as somewhat of a nuisance since only one set of Frank Thomas was listed by Beckett. But this year I picked up a huge lot of sets and my interest was peaked. The ‘92 sets seem much harder to locate specifically the Silver and Gold.

Tfangman

Jun 4, 2015
Maybe this will help some people. I know a lot more but am working on other stuff right now this will keep folks busy for a while. Check out the Docs book also when you get the chance. A quick blurb for those in New England Rotmans was the official NE Region distributor. The Doc handled the Midwest.

Could you help me out with any Frank Thomas set info? Have a couple questions but it’s tough to find those that care about the Star sets

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well, I wish you the best in identifying and landing those missing Star sets. Those grails, if you will. And speaking of Grails...those who some call Tim...

Agreed! I viewed them as somewhat of a nuisance since only one set of Frank Thomas was listed by Beckett. But this year I picked up a huge lot of sets and my interest was peaked. The ‘92 sets seem much harder to locate specifically the Silver and Gold.

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
What's the question ? Multiple reasons why Beckett stopped listing the sets. I love the Python reference ;)

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma

All the glossy sets I've seen have either been a totally different color, a la the Alomars, or a the same color scheme but a different design like the 1989 Star Glossy minor league sets.

Base set

Base Set

Glossy

Glossy Set

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Both Beckett and SCD did a poor job of documenting the Star Glossy minor league team sets. I think TCDB.com has them all listed as one of the members used to work for Star.

I had one sneak up on me for my Tuffy Rhodes collection, as no one had documented a glossy set for the Columbus Mudcats. It just showed up on eBay one day. Allegedly the print run for the Cooumbus set was 1000. Not sure where the number came from.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Both Beckett and SCD did a poor job of documenting the Star Glossy minor league team sets. I think TCDB.com has them all listed as one of the members used to work for Star.

I had one sneak up on me for my Tuffy Rhodes collection, as no one had documented a glossy set for the Columbus Mudcats. It just showed up on eBay one day. Allegedly the print run for the Cooumbus set was 1000. Not sure where the number came from.

I had that Mudcats Glossy set for a while too. I moved it on to @Therion because he needed the Darryl Kile in it. Glad you managed to snag one.

The production numbers are shaky at best. There are allegedly 500 of the 1989 Star Glassy Gastonia Rangers sets (personal memory and Beckett lists them as such) but PSA is showing a pop report for the Ivan Rodriguez of 474 graded. I question the accuracy of that pop report figure too though because it was 501 not too long ago. I'm guessing they had some base Star cards graded as Glossy that they've since corrected.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
Sadly, Star baseball cards, even the star players, are pretty much worthless. I have a 1990 Star Barry Bonds error card graded a 10 by Ikon grading and it sold for $3 the other day on eBay. They were mass produced which is likely a big reason why.

K34PuckettAddict

May 28, 2009
Some of the Puckett’s still sell well, there’s a number of promos in completed auctions that sold for over $40 each & two were over $75 or so. Prices tend to fluctuate and swing one way or another on these though IMO.

I’m a big fan of them. Some of them were definitely tough for me to find, but I believe I have all the well known releases now. I know of at least one error set of Puckett that exists that I don’t have and I’m sure there’s others out there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I've always avoided dealing with them because of the difficulty of identifying them and suspicions that some were counterfeited. We know the basketball were counterfeited, what does anyone know about baseball? Some of the blank back promos seem suspicious.

Members online

Latest posts