Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Hi guys I just read through the last couple of pages and wanted to say thank you for all of the good insights. I really enjoyed the write ups that severall of you provided on the current state of the griffey market. It's been impressive how high the sales have been on griffey's truly rare cards but I think it makes sense as these were the cards we grew up wanting, I know I would rather drop serious coin on say a 1997 essenential credentials griffey than a early mid grade mantle.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Just an FYI....

In 99, I paid a couple of kids to shovel snow in front of my store and with the money they bought packs of 99 collectors choice.

One of them got a gold four star StarQuest /100

They wound up fighting and the card got creased.

So there's only 99 left. ;)

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Just an FYI....

In 99, I paid a couple of kids to shovel snow in front of my store and with the money they bought packs of 99 collectors choice.

One of them got a gold four star StarQuest /100

They wound up fighting and the card got creased.

So there's only 99 left. ;)

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

With as much UD Choice product that went unsold, I'd suspect at least half of them are still packed away, never to be seen. I have only ever seen a picture of ONE in my life. That's the one joey_peapod had.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
$6500. Just a guess.

My guess is near yours - if this was listed true auction style for 7 days, no reserve, I think it'd bring between $5,500-$6,000. The last one on eBay went for $3,400 and given this is a Gem 10, the premium should be pretty high. If a raw McGwire sold offline for $2,750 and a raw Ted Williams sold offline for under $9,000, I think Griffey settles right in the middle of these two.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
With as much UD Choice product that went unsold, I'd suspect at least half of them are still packed away, never to be seen. I have only ever seen a picture of ONE in my life. That's the one joey_peapod had.

I've never understood the draw those Starquest Golds have; I understand they're rare and seemingly harder to find than other rares given the unpopularity of the set in general, but the look and design is plain to me. To each his own, though.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not sure if magic has that one. Never seen him post it. Joey has had his hands on more Griffey rares than Magic has though. If magic doesn't have it, Joey, have you ever had this one? Marco, if you read this, do you have one?
Thats correct, Never have had one of thoses sorry to say :(

as far as I know the Diamonds do not have the refractor type finsh , Ive had and gave away a few other players in the past
modiamondchip.jpg

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

1999starquest.jpg

questgold.jpg

1999starquest-1.jpg

Last edited:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Okay, gents: What does this go for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1998-FLEER-SPORTS-ILLUSTRATED-FIRST-EDITION-MASTERPIECE-1-1-RARE-/371294501915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672e07c1b

I'm aware that some of Fleer's higher-end inserts (i.e., Legacy Collections, Ultra Masterpieces) from '98 were backdoored and/or counterfeited to look like the real, packed-out counterparts. Anyone heard of these issues applying to the Sports Illustrated set? Also, to be clear, I am not stating or insinuating that the referenced card above is fake.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Okay, gents: What does this go for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1998-FLEER-SPORTS-ILLUSTRATED-FIRST-EDITION-MASTERPIECE-1-1-RARE-/371294501915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672e07c1b

I'm aware that some of Fleer's higher-end inserts (i.e., Legacy Collections, Ultra Masterpieces) from '98 were backdoored and/or counterfeited to look like the real, packed-out counterparts. Anyone heard of these issues applying to the Sports Illustrated set? Also, to be clear, I am not stating or insinuating that the referenced card above is fake.
[MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] I believe has knowledge of there being an aftermarket sheet cut set of these that hit the market.

Ryan

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Thanks, Ryan, appreciate the reference. Interesting - hope to hear what George knows.

And by "sheet set", do you mean an entire duplicate set of the '98 First Edition 1/1's appeared on the market, stamp and all (i.e., two legitimate versions of the 1/1 parallel exist)?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Thanks, Ryan, appreciate the reference. Interesting - hope to hear what George knows.

And by "sheet set", do you mean an entire duplicate set of the '98 First Edition 1/1's appeared on the market, stamp and all (i.e., two legitimate versions of the 1/1 parallel exist)?
The extra sheet was printed for replacements per liscencing mandates. Few if any were ever replaced and at some points slipped out of house. The auction could be pack pulled or sheet cut; buyer be warned I guess.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
If you sent one to BGS and one to PSA I bet they both get graded authentic. It starts getting tricky with some of these

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I may be crazy but im thinking of scanning in all my Griffey cards. From what I remember i have around 1,350 different onse but alot of cool inserts from the 90's.... Maybe.....

Members online