Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bo Jackson voted greatest athlete of all time by ESPN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Jim Thorpe did not just win two gold medals.....he won them in the decathlon and pentathlon.

Bo (pre-injury) was a .250 hitter and a 1 time all-star. In his AS season he hit a stagger .256 and cranked out 172Ks in 561PA and was 10th in the MVP race. For comparison Ryan Howard's 2010 season 172Ks in 550PA, also a AS season and 10th in the MVP race.

Yes, he had power, yes he was fast, but he possessed a .962 fielding average as an outfielder.

By the numbers Bo is most similar to:

1. Jay Bruce (957)
  2. Carlos Quentin (957)
  3. Jonny Gomes (939)
  4. Nick Esasky (938)
  5. Nelson Cruz (935)
  6. Craig Wilson (929)
  7. Craig Monroe (928)
  8. Ron Kittle (926)
  9. Luke Scott (926)
  10. Dan Pasqua (923)

I LOVED Bo as a Football player, as a baseball player he had flashes but he was NOT a two sport stud.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Snubbing Jim Thorpe ruins the credibility of this list. I shall not even click the link!

Sent from the FCB Droid app, which means I'm probably on the crapper.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Herschle Walker gets no respect. If he had played today, with our media emphasis on "the next big thing", Walker would be the most famous man in sports.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I can't argue with Bo Jackson,saw him in his prime! And he was a stud! Someone said Deion was better,that is funny as hell! I would have loved to see deion try to tackle Jackson.Deion was scared to tackle his own shadow!

Deion want scared to he was just so fast he didn't have a shadow

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Just a little more background on Jim Brown. In high school he averaged 38+ points a game his senior year in basketball. He played on the Syracuse basketball team his sophomore and junior years and averaged 13+ points. He did not play his senior year due to an unwritten rule that Syracuse could not start more than 2 black players and there were already 2 others that started. He played baseball in high school and pitched 2 no-hitters. Someone dismissed him being the best lacrosse player against the likes of "Joe Bob" - again he was so dominant they changed the rules of the game!!!

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Herschle Walker gets no respect. If he had played today, with our media emphasis on "the next big thing", Walker would be the most famous man in sports.

Hell, Herschel Walker was still a top physical specimen his mid/late 40s. I'm not sure how he looks now that he's topped 50, but I imagine he's still

herschel-walker-mma.jpg

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

I'll always remember him as the guy who paved the way for the Cowboys' dynasty - after he left there. Man, what a trade.

When all is said and done, Jordan probably won't be the best basketball player of all time.
I assume you are talking about LeBron. Here's the thing about Jordan and LeBron: LeBron, more physically gifted, but MJ would have absolutely destroyed him. Jordan is probably the most competitive person on the planet, LeBron is not. Jordan would have found a win to win the war despite losing the battle. I'd say 98-99% of the NBA feared Jordan and deep down knew the Bulls were going to win. I don't know if anyone fears LeBron and they definitely don't fear the Heat. Jordan had his opponents beaten before stepping a foot on the court, LeBron does not and I don't think ever will.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I assume you are talking about LeBron. Here's the thing about Jordan and LeBron: LeBron, more physically gifted, but MJ would have absolutely destroyed him. Jordan is probably the most competitive person on the planet, LeBron is not. Jordan would have found a win to win the war despite losing the battle. I'd say 98-99% of the NBA feared Jordan and deep down knew the Bulls were going to win. I don't know if anyone fears LeBron and they definitely don't fear the Heat. Jordan had his opponents beaten before stepping a foot on the court, LeBron does not and I don't think ever will.
How many finals did Jordan get to without Pippen?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008

lol, almost everything you say here you speak like you were and are apart of the games that Jordan played and LeBron does play.

And all of your opinions here are really subjective.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Lebron isn't even the closer on the heat.. A magic Lebron comparison is fair but Lebron isn't in Jordan or Kobe's class.

I'm old Greg

I never compared LeBron's style of play to Jordan or Kobe. My statement is, he could very well be the best player of all time by the time he retires. The biggest thing of course will be how many titles he has at the end of his career. I don't think he'll need to get to 6 to be considered the greatest either.

I don't think Michael Jordan could've taken that Cavs team to the finals and beaten that great Detroit team like LeBron basically did by himself. I could be wrong. Jordan, like LeBron now, always had a great supporting cast for his championships. But he could never seem to get to the Finals on his own.

Last edited:
I can't name a player to win a championship series in the last 20 years that did it alone. That said pippen was always the second option. In many cases wade is the heats first option. We can never compare them accurately and we always reflect on our "times" players romantically..

I'm old Greg