Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

(32) Assorted Box 90's/00's Group Break Signup/Details - Break 5/28 8:27PM est

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My feedback is less boxes next time. Or if you're going to do 30+ boxes, split it up between a couple nights. Not only did I fall asleep while watching near the end but it wasn't as much watching a box break as much as it was watching someone just open up packs and every once in a while was told a name of a player or the "hit" in the box. I'm not b!tching but just being direct. I would either split among a couple nights or go with less boxes but keep the price the same and add some nicer boxes. Just my opinion, I loved being a part of it and think I got a couple nice Belle's... have NO idea what, if any, Indians I got with the team spot. Nice job Andrew! Must of been 1000 packs in all :lol:

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally I'd like to stay around the same number of boxes and price point for the next break. The break definitely took longer than anticipated, but I think that's at least in part because many of the cards were sticking, and unlike modern products you can't just slide straight to the hit in each pack. Splitting it up to two days wouldn't be bad (and certainly easier for the breaker), but at the end of the day I'm in the breaks to fill some holes in my collection and potentially hit a nice card or two, not for the entertainment value of watching the break per se.

AK11

May 24, 2010
Well, nothing too notable for my slots, but it's a gamble for sure. I would actually suggest lowering the best player slots to $100 even, which is just over $3 per box for Jeter, Griffey, and Ripken. I totally realize covering box costs, but based on how this first run went with the exception of the Jeter auto, a lot of the bigger names were duds. A Rod got some inserts, but that's where it ends. Most breaks in the future will be the same where most of the inserts and parallels are semistars or scrubs for the team lots.

With that being mentioned, I am up for break #2 .

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I missed the last half due to crappy internet plus I had to get up at 4 this morning. Hopefully I got something good.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I know there was a Mickey Morandini Precious Metal Gems toward the end if the night

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Personally I'd like to stay around the same number of boxes and price point for the next break. The break definitely took longer than anticipated, but I think that's at least in part because many of the cards were sticking, and unlike modern products you can't just slide straight to the hit in each pack. Splitting it up to two days wouldn't be bad (and certainly easier for the breaker), but at the end of the day I'm in the breaks to fill some holes in my collection and potentially hit a nice card or two, not for the entertainment value of watching the break per se.

I totally agree with you about keeping price point the same or even lowering it depending on demand. I would also re-look at which players are being "player out" and which aren't. IMO no reason to player out guys who slots are like $10 or something. Unless they're a star, roll them into the team slot, increase the price of the team slot if you want and then let a player collector come in and offer $ for the rights to said player from the team slot owner.

Overall, great break though... since I passed out twice during the 5 hour event, I am also excited to see all the hits! When did the Jeter auto get pulled? This must of been late or while I was zzzzzzzzzzzz'ing off for a minute ;)

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
Didn't look like Rickey even got mentioned in the break, I knew I was trying to hit lightening in a bottle. Fun to be a part of though, but if similar product is included in the next round, I'd think twice about the price points for some players who weren't really included in all the product. Thanks for putting this together.

U L Washington Rookie

Dec 7, 2012
D Town
Well, nothing too notable for my slots, but it's a gamble for sure. I would actually suggest lowering the best player slots to $100 even, which is just over $3 per box for Jeter, Griffey, and Ripken. I totally realize covering box costs, but based on how this first run went with the exception of the Jeter auto, a lot of the bigger names were duds. A Rod got some inserts, but that's where it ends. Most breaks in the future will be the same where most of the inserts and parallels are semistars or scrubs for the team lots.

With that being mentioned, I am up for break #2 .

One could argue that those players' slots should actually cost more. It's those guys' cards, in most cases, that drive the price of the unopened boxes. Biggest 'reward' -> biggest risk.

Those superstar players are in a larger percent of insert sets than the stars/minor stars. So not only are those players' cards worth many multiples more (should anyone decide to sell them), you actually have a better shot at hitting one of their big cards than you do of hitting on most other players.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Good luck sorting through all these opinions... here's mine:

Like the poster above, I like the number of boxes and the pricing. Any higher pricing probably prices me out. I see no problem with splitting it up over two days if we can get soemone to do that.

I actually do like to watch for entertainment value and love participating in the chat, heckling Andrew, cracking jokes, etc during the break.

I like products that are inclusive to all - products with a big checklist that gives player slots and team slots equal opportunity at hits. 1998 Tek is boderline, but with the mystique of Diffractors and as hungry as collectors are for the different patterns, I think it's a good one (but good luck finding). 1999 Tek, on the other hand, has a checklist of only 45 players.

I also like products that are packed with inserts and parallels, even if they are "cheap" inserts and parallels. The Pacific products from this break were a great example - the Omega and Aurora were boring and busts. The 2000 and 2001 Pacific had lots of interesting possibilities, and we got some of those interesting possibilities. Of course, maybe it was luck :)

I prefer those low-to-mid-end product that provide good value rather than the mid-to-higher end products that are all or nothing. Yeah, some of the home runs are exciting, but they are soooo rare that it's more likely that everyone strikes out with nothing to show for it. So in that sense, I think I disagree with Bill Menard. I also am not a fan of Bowman/BC because they are packed with prospects that never even made the club. 1997 doesn't even have the chance at a serial-numbered rarity. Not trying to debate - just throwing my two cents in!

1997 Ultra and 1998 Ultra had something like an insert per pack and give you a chance at platinums. Not sure why our box of 1998 Ultra didn't have that (or did it)? Also, gotta be HOBBY to get the fun inserts. Also a reminder that with the 1999 Prism RETAIL is the way to go and with 2000 Prism HOBBY is the way to go. :geek:

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I normally get scans up after the break, I will do some scanning tonight before I pack it all up and ship it out tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoyed watching the break and thanks for hanging out with me for almost 5 hours!!!

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
[MENTION=10018]BenG76[/MENTION] [MENTION=2212]Brewer Andy[/MENTION]

Was the Morandini that was hit this one?

1999 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems 123 /50

If so I would love to help recoup some of your costs!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I normally get scans up after the break, I will do some scanning tonight before I pack it all up and ship it out tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoyed watching the break and thanks for hanging out with me for almost 5 hours!!!

Would have hung out sooner but was stuck at work much later than expected. Can't say thanks enough for your hard work Andrew!

[MENTION=5741]IUjapander[/MENTION] don't remember which year the PMG was from, Andrew might know, or it should be scanned later today :)

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
it was one of the last boxes of the night, before the Circa Thunder. let me look at ustream to see what box it was

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I think I heard cellophane crinkling in my dreams last night.

I didn't see the last 10 boxes, but think I pretty much struck out on Grace and Vlad. I saw one Grace finest refractor, that was all.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I think I heard cellophane crinkling in my dreams last night.

I didn't see the last 10 boxes, but think I pretty much struck out on Grace and Vlad. I saw one Grace finest refractor, that was all.

There was a nice Vlad Showcase card that had Rey Ordonez's name printed on it upside down lol Nice variation hit!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That dual Jeter auto is sick... that probably takes the cake for best card but who ended up with it or how was that figured out? I guess that wasn't really specified before the break but usually it's whatever play is closet to the top left of the card, etc. Whoever got it did well for sure.

Members online