Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So what's going to be the "shocker" in next week's hof vote?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Most recent update of the compiled released ballots:

The 2014 HOF Ballot Collecting Gizmo!
Updated: Jan.3 - 12:15 ~ 107 Full Ballots ~ (18.8% of vote ~ based on last year)
100 - Maddux
97.2 - Glavine
90.7 - F. Thomas
80.4 - Biggio
———————————
72.9 - Piazza
66.4 - Bagwell
60.7 - Jack (The Jack) Morris
56.1 - Raines
45.8 - Bonds
44.9 - Clemens
39.3 - Schilling
34.9 - Mussina
22.4 - Trammell
20.6 - E. Martinez
18.7 - L. Smith
15.0 - McGriff
14.0 - Kent
11.2 - L. Walker
10.3 - McGwire
8.4 - S. Sosa
7.5 - R. Palmeiro
———————————
4.7 - Mattingly
0.9 - P. Rose (Write-In)

Source?
And I'm just happy Moose is getting that much love 1st ballot, but hating on the Mattingly potential drop off. And here's to hoping Raines gets enshrined in the not-too-distant future.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Most recent update of the compiled released ballots:

The 2014 HOF Ballot Collecting Gizmo!
Updated: Jan.3 - 12:15 ~ 107 Full Ballots ~ (18.8% of vote ~ based on last year)
100 - Maddux
97.2 - Glavine
90.7 - F. Thomas
80.4 - Biggio
———————————
72.9 - Piazza
66.4 - Bagwell
60.7 - Jack (The Jack) Morris
56.1 - Raines
45.8 - Bonds
44.9 - Clemens
39.3 - Schilling
34.9 - Mussina
22.4 - Trammell
20.6 - E. Martinez
18.7 - L. Smith
15.0 - McGriff
14.0 - Kent
11.2 - L. Walker
10.3 - McGwire
8.4 - S. Sosa
7.5 - R. Palmeiro
———————————
4.7 - Mattingly
0.9 - P. Rose (Write-In)

Bit surprised with a lot of this list. But then I read the 18.8 percent of ballots so who knows how accurate this will be. Going to be relatively surprised if Biggio makes it.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
If Thomas makes it in, then that should open the door for Edgar, cause Thomas spent more time at DH than anywhere else.

I don't think it opens the door for Edgar at all, but that doesn't take away from his HOF-worthiness. We won't see Edgar in before players like Bonds and Clemens get in.

There are plenty of HOF pitchers who were absolutely horrible fielders/defenders...but no one ever calls them one dimensional. Beyond that, the vast majority of pitchers have little skill at the plate and American League pitchers only play one side of the ball (though they are responsible for putting the ball into play). Players like Thomas were actually substantially better offensively when they were also playing in the field; Reggie Jackson is another; penalizing guys like that because the team chooses to option them to a position that is a requirement of the league and because they can isn't fair.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Fair enough... he might improve on his % but still won't get in and probably never.

Obviously I hold some bias but I think Bonds and Clemens do get in within the 15 year window. From articles I've read, voters deliberately left them off the first ballot but are open to voting for them in future ballots. With a crowded class this year, I don't see either getting close to entry but I think 'probably never' is unlikely. I agree that many of the perceived 'clean' guys will gain entry before Bonds and Clemens receive admission. Also, as older voters move on and younger voters take their place, I think the younger crowd will be more accepting of these players. Time shall tell!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
As others have said, it's not the Hall of Very Good. He was good, but not elite.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Sadly it turned into the Hall of Very Good 15 years ago. Kent will get in eventually.

If I'm going for "shock" value...6 players get in:

Maddux
Glavine
Thomas
Biggio
Piazza
Bagwell

If I'm being realistic, I think four get in. Maddux, Glavine and Big Hurt being locks...Biggio or Piazza being the 4th.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
And anyone thinking that Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, etc will never get in are only fooling themselves. It's only a matter of time before the "white knight" writers stop passing down judgment and they get in.

Someone said it best earlier, the clean players from that era get in first (Unit, Griffey, etc), then the juicers.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Listen... I'm going to put this simply... Jeff Kent will never get into the HOF... Period.

I'm curious as to why you are so adamantly against Kent. His numbers stack up fairly well against both Alomar and Sandberg.

Kent: .296/.356/.500, OPS+ of 123, 55.2 bWAR, plus an MVP and multiple silver slugger
Sandberg: .285/.344/.452, OPS+ of 114, 67.6 bWAR, plus 344 SB, an MVP, multiple silver slugger and gold gloves
Alomar: .300/.371/.443, OPS+ of 116, 66.8 bWAR, plus 474 SB, multiple silver slugger and gold gloves

But then again his numbers are similar to Lou Whitaker as well and few are calling for his induction.

Whitaker: .276/.363/.426, OPS+ of 117, 74.8 bWAR,multiple silver sluggerad gold gloves

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm curious as to why you are so adamantly against Kent. His numbers stack up fairly well against both Alomar and Sandberg.

Kent: .296/.356/.500, OPS+ of 123, 55.2 bWAR, plus an MVP and multiple silver slugger
Sandberg: .285/.344/.452, OPS+ of 114, 67.6 bWAR, plus 344 SB, an MVP, multiple silver slugger and gold gloves
Alomar: .300/.371/.443, OPS+ of 116, 66.8 bWAR, plus 474 SB, multiple silver slugger and gold gloves

But then again his numbers are similar to Lou Whitaker as well and few are calling for his induction.

Whitaker: .276/.363/.426, OPS+ of 117, 74.8 bWAR,multiple silver sluggerad gold gloves
He played 17 official seasons and never lead the league in ANYTHING ever - well actually Sac Flies twice, I stand corrected. He also didn't accomplish ANY milestones.

So switch gears... pound the table on him being one of the best at his position all-time... OK... but won not a single gold glove?!

Sorry... the only thing you can even point to is he trip, fell and landed on a MVP.

Nice guy. Played for the Indians. Good in the community I'm sure. He won't smell the front porch of the HOF.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It turned into the Hall of Very Good around the Korean War. Adding players who might not have that "immortal" air to them but are similar to, or better than, guys already in I don't think diminishes what election means. It's nice to think that the Hall should be made up of about a dozen guys like Ruth, Mays, Johnson, and Alexander. The maxim of,"if you have to debate someone's credentials, he isn't a Hall of Famer" is comforting. However, in simple fact, it hasn't been like that for decades. Even with all the changes in election procedures, the Hall has had since almost the beginning some members who aren't quite as good as other members, and it didn't take long for certain tiers to become visible in electees.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula

This is more of an argument for Whitaker, whom I think should be in with Trammell.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I don't think it opens the door for Edgar at all, but that doesn't take away from his HOF-worthiness. We won't see Edgar in before players like Bonds and Clemens get in.

There are plenty of HOF pitchers who were absolutely horrible fielders/defenders...but no one ever calls them one dimensional. Beyond that, the vast majority of pitchers have little skill at the plate and American League pitchers only play one side of the ball (though they are responsible for putting the ball into play). Players like Thomas were actually substantially better offensively when they were also playing in the field; Reggie Jackson is another; penalizing guys like that because the team chooses to option them to a position that is a requirement of the league and because they can isn't fair.

This post also makes Mussina a more attractive candidate. Had the numbers in the AL East for his entire career and he was a spectacular fielding pitcher (7 Gold Gloves), as was Maddux.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
He played 17 official seasons and never lead the league in ANYTHING ever - well actually Sac Flies twice, I stand corrected. He also didn't accomplish ANY milestones.

So switch gears... pound the table on him being one of the best at his position all-time... OK... but won not a single gold glove?!

Sorry... the only thing you can even point to is he trip, fell and landed on a MVP.

Nice guy. Played for the Indians. Good in the community I'm sure. He won't smell the front porch of the HOF.

Barry Bonds won't make it anytime soon, but you think Jeff Kent won't? lol Come on. Kent is the type of "never linked to PEDs" player the voters salivate over. He's probably top-5 all-time offensively at 2nd, that from a guy who played during an era where behemoths were launching 50+ HRs with 150+ RBI a season with ease. Kent is better than Ryne Sandberg at the plate, now imagine if he started his career in the '80s and not at the beginning of the steroid era. He would have been enshrined first-ballot. Now he'll have to wait 10 years. But he WILL get in.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
SHOCKER.gif

Members online

Latest posts