Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for Minor League Card Experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
So the master list I have of Darryl Kile cards has two cards listed that I think may be the same card. Do any of you minor league card experts know the answer?

1990 CMC Pre-Rookie #606 Darryl Kile
1990 Tucson Toros CMC #4 Darryl Kile

I have a card that has both #606 and #4 . Is this just Beckett being special and having two different listings for the same set?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am not an expert, but I believe many of those 90s cards were part of team sets and then issued as a much larger set, sometimes in wax packs. It might be that the difference is just that, the numbering system between the team set only and that of the larger set.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I am not an expert, but I believe many of those 90s cards were part of team sets and then issued as a much larger set, sometimes in wax packs. It might be that the difference is just that, the numbering system between the team set only and that of the larger set.

I think my confusion comes from the fact that the card I own has both 606 and 4 on it.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
The fronts are the same, the backs are different.

1990 CMC Pre-Rookie back:
Image_00046.jpg

1990 CMC team set back:
Image_00045.jpg

For the wood-grained cards in the 1990 CMC Pre-Rookie set, the main difference is that the CMC cards have a highly glossy coating and the regular team set ProCards A and AA issues do not. There are some minor differences in some of the photos for the ProCards re-treads, as well.

Last edited:

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
[MENTION=4035]DaClyde[/MENTION] You rock. Do you happen to have the two Darryl Kile versions for sale?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
[MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION] I do have the yellow-backed card, but somehow in all my piles of minor league cards, I never picked up any of the CMC team sets, so I don't have the green one.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Therion, I have a question. I have some '89 sealed packs of Columbus Mud Cats teams sets. I noticed one pack is a regular version and the other packs are serial numbered. Do you know how these were distributed? Why are there two versions? I figured you might know because of the Kile. Thanks in advance.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Therion, I have a question. I have some '89 sealed packs of Columbus Mud Cats teams sets. I noticed one pack is a regular version and the other packs are serial numbered. Do you know how these were distributed? Why are there two versions? I figured you might know because of the Kile. Thanks in advance.

Are they the Star sets? If so, the numbered version is the "glossy" set. If they are Best sets, then the numbered version is the "Limited" set. I'm not a minor league expert, but [MENTION=4035]DaClyde[/MENTION] probably knows the answer to this as well.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
The are from "Best Cards". I have the 89 ProCards team sets of the Mud Cats also. I got them in a lot of Yankees Minor League cards. I guess the seller thought because they were Columbus teams that they were Yankees. Was Kile in the Pro Set also? I remember in the early to late 80s going to the Waterbury Reds, Angels and Indians games I would get the team sets but don't ever remember any of them numbered. I was wondering how they were sold, at the stadiums, at the big league parks, mail order? I have to start checking all my Yankees to see if there were numbered sets.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
What [MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION] said. But if they are Star Co. sets, they more limited, glossy versions should be a different color than the standard sets. Did that Mudcats set we split have any serial number card with it? When Star did their earlier "limited" sets (like the set with an autograph, or the platinum sets), they usually just included something handwritten, or there was a sticker on the plastic box they came in.

On my two Best Limited sets from 1989 (Columbus and Albany), the Checklist card was serial numbered, but the rest of the cards in the set were not.

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCa...s-Mudcats---Platinum-28-Team-Logo-/-Checklist

Last edited:

Members online