Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1999 SP Signature - Legendary Cuts - The First Cut Auto Set - Help Find the Scans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Back in 1999 Upper Deck released a set called SP Signature which featured 1 autograph card per pack. Each pack had either a base auto, or a gold parallel /50 (for many of the cards.) Beyond this there was a small 8 card insert set called "Legendary Cuts." These cards featured an autograph of a deceased player. UD was able to do this by cutting an autograph from another document and inserting it into the cards. To the best of my knowledge this set (or possibly it's partner which was inserted in 1999 Upper Deck Legends) were the first cut autograph set.

In the process of looking through some old auction results I came across some scans of a couple of these. The Lefty Grove is currently on eBay (with an insane $3750 BIN) so I pulled that scan from there.

I thought it would be cool to share these images, and thought that will a team effort we may be able to gather all the scans.

The list below is the checklist

ROY Roy Campanella
XX Jimmy Foxx
LG Lefty Grove
W Walter Johnson
MEL1 Mel Ott
MEL2 Mel Ott
BR Babe Ruth
CY Cy Young

Attachments

• Cy Young.jpg
    Cy Young.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Walter Johnson.jpg
    Walter Johnson.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Lefty Grove.jpg
    Lefty Grove.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Nice to see cut signatures like those. I can't believe how terrible some of the cut signatures are in products released these days.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Nice to see cut signatures like those. I can't believe how terrible some of the cut signatures are in products released these days.

It's clear the company actually cared about the look of the cards back then and made sure the signatures were on nice, clear paper, were sharp etc. They also made the design of the card (color etc) work with the color of the paper that was being cut.

I know that part of the QC went due to mass producing cut autographs, but I wish companies took more care and believe that if a company made a high-end product that did focus on things like this, it would sell extremely well.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I had a couple pictures on an old computer, I think an Ott and the Campy, but it's long-gone. Someone should make a site to catalog images like this. Some great stuff that will vanish into collections for years or decades at a time.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I had a couple pictures on an old computer, I think an Ott and the Campy, but it's long-gone. Someone should make a site to catalog images like this. Some great stuff that will vanish into collections for years or decades at a time.

At one point in time I did a thread where we found pictures of all the 2001 SP Legendary Cuts signature cards, and attempted to do the 1999 APOH 500 Home Run Auto and 2000 APOH 3000 Hit Auto cards and got pretty far. I feel like it's a fun project and for many of these cards the scans would be near impossible to find, particularly for some of these smaller sets.

I would definitely love to do it for more sets and maybe FCB has a good place to store them and we can build a library.
[MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION]

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Scanned and added the my Ott.

Members online