Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Real or fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Not COOL!!!! ::facepalm::

gracecollector said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:
Gracecollector--Nice find--can you let me know if there are any Thome's in all of that crazy Fleer Buyback stuff

Thanks
TK

Good luck finding them!

Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT1 J.Thome 00 Trad Gl Lum Bat/ 5 Print Run
5 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT2 J.Thome 01 Auth DC Bat/ 19 Print Run
19 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT3 J.Thome 01 Auth DC Wristband/ 19 Print Run
19 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT4 J.Thome 02 Trad Lum Bat/ 12 Print Run
12 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT5 J.Thome 02 Trad U Day Bat/ 6 Print Run
6 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT6 J.Thome 02 Trad U Day Jsy/ 6 Print Run
6 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT7 J.Thome 03 Trad Lum Bat/ 2 Print Run
2 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT8 J.Thome 03 Trad U Mile Jsy/ 2 Print Run
2 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT9 J.Thome 04 AX Jsy/ 5 Print Run
5 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT10 Ji.Thome 04 NP HM Jsy/ 7 Print Run
7 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT11 Ji.Thome 04 Show HG Jsy/ 4 Print Run
4 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used #JT12 J.Thome 04 SBA Jsy/ 5 Print Run
5 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used Combos #TB Thome/ Burrell 03 Gen LTD Patch/ 2 Print Run
2 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used Combos #TI Thome/ I.Rod 04 AX Jsy Dual/ 5 Print Run
5 Buy Pricing!
Card 2005 National Pastime Buyback Game Used Combos #TS Thome Jsy/ Schmidt Jsy 03 R/ G Year/ 5 Print Run
5 Buy Pricing!

15 records found.

piazza31

Jul 5, 2009
Thanks Fellas.

Atleast they did something. Anyone with one of these could have passed up the stamp not thinking it was anything.

CelticKnot

Jan 8, 2014
I realize this thread is 4.5 years old, but I did a Google search for "hand numbered fleer tradition lumber company" because as I was going through my collection I found an '02 Tradition Thome Lumber Company bat card hand numbered /12. I was VERY suspicious and was kicking myself for probably over-spending when I bought it*, but then I read this article and learned about the buy-back program and the embossed stamps. So I pulled the card from its top loader and sleeve (was going to replace those anyway) and saw faintly that star stamp after tilting the card! *phew*

*As it turns out, according to my records, I only spent $8 on it in '02. Not bad. Wonder what it would fetch in '14. :)

Thanks for the information, nearly 1/2 a decade later!

Thome2002FleerTraditionLumberCompanyHandNumbered.jpg

A_Pharis

I realize this thread is 4.5 years old, but I did a Google search for "hand numbered fleer tradition lumber company" because as I was going through my collection I found an '02 Tradition Thome Lumber Company bat card hand numbered /12. I was VERY suspicious and was kicking myself for probably over-spending when I bought it*, but then I read this article and learned about the buy-back program and the embossed stamps. So I pulled the card from its top loader and sleeve (was going to replace those anyway) and saw faintly that star stamp after tilting the card! *phew*

*As it turns out, according to my records, I only spent $8 on it in '02. Not bad. Wonder what it would fetch in '14. :)

View attachment 28249

Welcome and nice card!

CelticKnot

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks for the welcome, Adam!

I'm not sure if any of the original posters are still active, but I came across another hand-numbered Thome in my collection today: a 2001 Fleer Authority Diamond Cuts wristband hand-numbered 19/19, which is included in the above Fleer buyback list. Nowhere on the card do I see any kind of stamp, so I'm concerned that this one is a fake. However I see from some research that the regular, non-buyback wristband cards are serial numbered to 50. So the lack of serial along with the hand numbering gives me hope.

What do you think? Does this sound legit?

I can post a pic if it would help, but I looked carefully and didn't see an embossed stamp anywhere. Just the hand numbering in blue ink.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Fleer had to make things confusing and of course, right before they went belly up too. I know Garvey had at least 3 buyback cards that were lower print runs and I believe all were embossed. I remember the issue, because I think I bought a box. I seem to remember there being rack packs or maybe a mix of racks and other packs (maybe the buyback was in the rack?), which was odd because racks hadn't been around in common use for the most part for a while.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Here are the Garvey cards from the buyback product you are talking about. Turns out I had 2 different embossed seals from the same issue. Hopefully they are visible on the scans. Beckett reported 15 copies of this card were supposed to exist.

A_Pharis

Thanks for the welcome, Adam!

I'm not sure if any of the original posters are still active, but I came across another hand-numbered Thome in my collection today: a 2001 Fleer Authority Diamond Cuts wristband hand-numbered 19/19, which is included in the above Fleer buyback list. Nowhere on the card do I see any kind of stamp, so I'm concerned that this one is a fake. However I see from some research that the regular, non-buyback wristband cards are serial numbered to 50. So the lack of serial along with the hand numbering gives me hope.

What do you think? Does this sound legit?

I can post a pic if it would help, but I looked carefully and didn't see an embossed stamp anywhere. Just the hand numbering in blue ink.

Thanks for your help!

If it's not factory stamped with a serial number then there are two possibilites:

(a) It went out with the Fleer bankruptcy, and someone numbered it.
(b) It's legit.

There's a greater than not shot at it being real.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I pulled out the autograph and the GU buybacks. The Auto was embossed (but it is very light and nearly impossible to tell from the scan), the GU was not.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

View attachment 28249

Welcome to the boards and cool card and story!

Not sure what it's worth but you'll find out on eBay soon enough :lol:

Anyways, as you dig through boxes, if you come across any Albert Belle stuff, let me know!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Mine is numbered on the front and not serial numbered......the pack inserted version would have been serial numbered. These are less buyback and more like storeroom/replacement stock shopping by Fleer.

scan0004.jpg

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010

View attachment 28249

I f you paid $8 in 2002 you have a problem - the numbered stamped buyback were issued in 2004 & 2005. If you bought it in 2002 it is a uncatalogued insert in 2002 Fleer Tradition or something numbered aftermarket.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I f you paid $8 in 2002 you have a problem - the numbered stamped buyback were issued in 2004 & 2005. If you bought it in 2002 it is a uncatalogued insert in 2002 Fleer Tradition or something numbered aftermarket.

Lol

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

CelticKnot

Jan 8, 2014
[MENTION=4830]tribefan26[/MENTION], that's a good catch. As I continue to go through my collection I see that I have both a numbered Thome 2002 Tradition Lumber Company and an un-numbered one, so my records could be showing the un-numbered one I purchased for $8. I'm not sure yet. Been a LOT of years since I seriously collected so I have to jog the ol' memory and rely on sketchy Excel spreadsheets. I checked again and verified that my hand-numbered one /does/ have a very faint star stamp. I'll endeavor to get a pic up if I can catch the embossed stamp on an angle like mrmopar did (thanks, man - very cool).

I'm more concerned about the 01 Authority Diamond Cuts /19 since I can't find a stamp on it. But again if the pack issues were serial numbered, I'm not that worried. At any rate, it's the only wristband Thome card I have and it's legit on some level, so I like it. And as far as I can tell it's one of two things:
1. Authentic Fleer factory-issued replacement for the /50 pack-issued cards and hand-numbered after market/bankruptcy (booooo)
2. Authentic Fleer factory-issued "buy-back" hand numbered /19 (yaaaaayyy)

I think it's cool either way. And there are VERY few Thome wristband cards out there so this is rare one way or another. Maybe only 69 - 100 total Thome wristband cards out there at all? Unsure but I've not seen many (any?) other Thome wristband cards out there.

Thanks, everyone for your input. Yes, even the "LOL"s...

CK

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Is the card thicker? maybe the embossed seal only worked on thin cards. That seems to be the only reason i can think of as to why my jersey buybacks aren't embossed when the autos from the same set were.

Members online

Latest posts