Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I have missed so many cards in my lifetime (Including a Golden Anniversary ref #'d/5) it doesn't even phase me . You can only pay what you can pay. I have, for my entire life, only had "so much" to spend at any one time. I have never had the luxury of just paying whatever, and worry about the finances later.

That being said, I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and scooped up this "no serial #" backdoor whatever-you-want-to-call-it:
28EA8520-98BB-4347-B356-0E0DC3DED34F_zpsdn1anahd.jpg

Nice shiny.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Question for you player collectors about the 1998 Topps Interleague Mystery Finest cards, the ones that came with the black film on the front. Do you include both the peeled and unpeeled versions in your checklist? This is kind of like the debate about the protective coatings, but in this case you can't see if the card is of your guy. Though your guy is one of the four pictured on the back, if the front features one of the other three guys then to me it's more of a "cameo" card (which I don't collect).

In case anyone doesn't remember these cards:

1998 Topps Interleague Match-Ups Mystery Finest #ILM7 - John Olerud
Courtesy of COMC.com

1998 Topps Interleague Match-Ups Mystery Finest #ILM7 - John Olerud
Courtesy of COMC.com

I'm probably splitting hairs on this, but I don't get to add new Olerud cards very often so I may just include this in my checklist.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
was so excited when i had the opportunity to grab this...i've actually thought about cracking it since the position of the flip is a bit annoying!

PiazzaMike_1998BowmanChromeGoldenAnniversaryRefractors_4_PSA9_zpsce897c58.jpg
PiazzaMike_1998BowmanChromeGoldenAnniversaryRefractors_4_PSA9_back_zps5385b409.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Sorry man, I a very limited budget being retired so I understand.
I ate ramen noodles for a month to get mine.

Image7_zps78f71090.jpg
Wow, I never saw that card before. Very nice. I only saw one O'neill ever on eBay. Astronomical price if I remember correctly. Oh well. 5 is a tough number.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Maybe not the right place to discuss this, but timing is right....am I the only one that somehow finds cards numbered /5 or /10 or even /25 somehow more gratifying to find than a 1/1? I mean sure a lot of 1/1's are unique and only one collector can own it at a time but there's such a higher "luck factor" involved that somehow takes the shine off. I could be crazy though

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Maybe not the right place to discuss this, but timing is right....am I the only one that somehow finds cards numbered /5 or /10 or even /25 somehow more gratifying to find than a 1/1? I mean sure a lot of 1/1's are unique and only one collector can own it at a time but there's such a higher "luck factor" involved that somehow takes the shine off. I could be crazy though

I tend to agree with this. I have a Griffey /10 that I wouldn't trade for ANY Griffey 1/1

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

Yes , I kinda lean that way. I think it's because things numbered to a higher number than /1 are chased by more people , therefore finding , and landing can be a fun challenge. It brings in player collectors , team collectors , and set collectors which makes them hard to get. I think cards not /1 become something possibly obtainable. I'd love all the 1/1 Clark's but because I know I'd never obtain them all , I kinda said eh to them in terms of chasing them.

Ryan

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Same here. No one will ever come close to getting all the 1/1 of their player. Juan has 478 1/1 cards. I have 16. I have paid less for those 1/1 cards than some of the numbered to 5 and 10 cards. Even some of the non serial numbered cards are more rare than a numbered to 5 or 10 card.
1997 1998 Collectors choice crash the game instant win come to mind.

juan_picture.php

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts