Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can eBay do anything about snipes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just a thought but can eBay do anything about snipes? I noticed they do a better job hiding the item number further down the auction and much smaller, etc. How long before eBay just allows you to snipe on their own site or at an additional charge? I'd pay a little more for it to be secure within eBays site... scares me to death knowing I'm essentially allowing a "free" site to have access to my eBay account, bidding, etc.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Why in the world would they want to?

Revenue... obviously other companies are capitalizing on the idea and eBay can't seem to block it, so if you can't beat them, join them and capitalize on it... just a thought

What are your thoughts?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Snipes = higher bids = more money for eBay. Again I can't see why they'd want to block this.

This.

I can totally see eBay creating their own sniping service and charging a fee though. Wouldn't be surprised if they did this and somehow blocked outside snipes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Snipes = higher bids = more money for eBay. Again I can't see why they'd want to block this.
This.

I can totally see eBay creating their own sniping service and charging a fee though. Wouldn't be surprised if they did this and somehow blocked outside snipes.

This and totally agree. If they don't they are clearly leaving money on the table. Also, I would trust an eBay snipe service a 1000000x more than a free service.

Gixen is awesome. And free!

I agree BUT do you ever think about what would happen if Gixen would ever to get hacked?! Who would you call? Don't get me wrong, I use Gixen but let's be honest, they're a black box as far as I'm concerned

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Sniping has reduced the back and forth bidding that once dominated eBay which has cost them money. While some snipe go crazy and max out the item potential value, snipe often fire below value due to the before mentioned lack of bidding. You will notice that many of the snipe services offer mirrors or double bidding, this is because eBay has tried to take measures to block sniping since it cost them in the long run. I believe that if eBay could block or regulate sniping they would but at this point it is something they must deal with.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sniping has reduced the back and forth bidding that once dominated eBay which has cost them money. While some snipe go crazy and max out the item potential value, snipe often fire below value due to the before mentioned lack of bidding. You will notice that many of the snipe services offer mirrors or double bidding, this is because eBay has tried to take measures to block sniping since it cost them in the long run. I believe that if eBay could block or regulate sniping they would but at this point it is something they must deal with.

Hmmm I don't understand the mirror thing but have seen it on gixen

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
They could do this. For instance, if any bids are made in the last X seconds, the auction is extended another minute or 2 or 5. This is common on other sites that have occasional auctions, maybe not on sites where auctions run continually. I'd think in the long run they'd see auctions end higher, but since it would impact their network with higher activity, they might think there's not enough net gain.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
They could do this. For instance, if any bids are made in the last X seconds, the auction is extended another minute or 2 or 5. This is common on other sites that have occasional auctions, maybe not on sites where auctions run continually. I'd think in the long run they'd see auctions end higher, but since it would impact their network with higher activity, they might think there's not enough net gain.

OMG can you imagine if eBay did this? Any bid in last 5 seconds automatically extends the auction 2 minutes

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008

I absolutely hate when sites do this.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Sellers on Yahoo JP (biggest auction site in Japan) have the option to extend the auction like this. It's good for buyers that get screwed by a snipe, so I can see the good in it. And as a seller it's pretty good since you know you're not limiting a bidding war.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
As a seller, I would love to see ebay enable an automatic extension on an auction if a bid is placed in the last 2 minutes. Maybe just a one time extension of 5 or 10 minutes, but not extend it any more regardless of how many bids are placed in that extra 5 or 10 minutes. This theoretically should render sniping ineffective and also result in higher average selling prices.

As a buyer, it would significantly reduce the number of items I can win at prices I want, since I am one who sticks with a maximum price and will not exceed it under any circumstance. Then again, it's fair game. Whoever is willing to pay more, wins.

speedmasterp

Nov 5, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I always do my best to set an alarm on my phone and snipe myself. Nothing worse than coming back to my phone after being away from it for a while and realizing my alarm has been going off for 10 minutes, and the auction ended 5 minutes ago. But on the flip side, if I bid before the last 10 seconds, I always get out bid b/c people have time to talk themselves into higher bids. I love the eBay APP.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I always snipe manually while wearing this...

images

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Don't kid yourselves - Ebay makes a ton on snipes & if they wanted to do away with it they would've years ago. Snipes rock anyway!

Members online