Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Authentic Player-Worn"...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
It has been said before but I can't recall in this exact manner...

Baseball is a game involving baseball players. If you don't actively play in a game, you were not a player in said game.

Cards including jersey/patch swatches are being labelled as "authentic player-worn" when the uniform in question was never in the field of play.

Is it honest to label something as "player-worn" if the "player" was not "playing" baseball while in the uniform? Can anyone to have "played" a game of baseball wear a jersey and have remnants labelled as "player-worn"? What are the boundaries and how is the consumer protected?

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
This is what is behind the recent Leaf discussion. I consider any non MLB hologramed relic to be in this boat. Whether the item was worn for a autograph session, award ceremony, or even batting practice. Any non certified relic should be looked at that way. This is why I A) really like the recent Strata cards with the hologram and B) am not bothered by Leaf's patches in Trinity. They are what they are.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
It was worn by the Player. Doesn't say Game used.

Mike Trout is a baseball player. He goes out to dinner. Mike Trout player worn suit jacket.

It's almost like the "freestyle" discussion in hiphop. At this point unless it says A specific game, assume they just tried it on.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
What about jerseys that are worn but not game used..

So someone like Mike Trout gets the day off and sits on the bench for the whole game.. He never played in the game so you can't say it was game used, just player worn..

With the number of jerseys these guys wear today and MLB trying to make $$$ of each of these players, I could see this happening.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
What about jerseys that are worn but not game used..

So someone like Mike Trout gets the day off and sits on the bench for the whole game.. He never played in the game so you can't say it was game used, just player worn..

With the number of jerseys these guys wear today and MLB trying to make $$$ of each of these players, I could see this happening.

I am 100% sure this is already the case. Hence the disclaimer Topps and others use. Like I said above, if it lacks a hologram, assume it was simply (hopefully) worn at some point, somewhere for some limited amount of time.

That being said, I bought a bat at an auction that had a hologram but had literally no marks on it. I am assuming it was game issued, as opposed to used. Unless maybe he was HBP or struck out with it. Whatever, it is in my PC.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I just checked one of my bats, and no marks at all - as the description even says Spring Training Signing

so the hologram doesnt mean game used

Hologram number FJ425642 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under AUTOGRAPHED BAT.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: ORIOLES SPRING TRAINING SIGNING
Session Date: March 02, 2011
Autographer: NICK MARKAKIS
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: SOLID BLACK, PRO MAPLE 33, MODEL 13L

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I just checked one of my bats, and no marks at all - as the description even says Spring Training Signing

Hologram number FJ425642 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under AUTOGRAPHED BAT.

DANG!!!! i just rechecked mine and it now says "Pedroia Signing".

But, when I bought it, [MENTION=1763]moxacaine[/MENTION] and I checked it. I swear it said game used 2+ years ago.

Ken - am I losing (what is left of) my mind? The Pedroia bat from the UVA auction a few years back. (I had to skip this year btw.)

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Here's one of my game used bats..

gu-auto-bat.jpg

gu-auto-bat-1.jpg

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
DANG!!!! i just rechecked mine and it now says "Pedroia Signing".

But, when I bought it, @moxacaine and I checked it. I swear it said game used 2+ years ago.

Ken - am I losing (what is left of) my mind? The Pedroia bat from the UVA auction a few years back. (I had to skip this year btw.)

interesting, i remember standing there and looking at it and looking it up online. i am almost certain it showed game used.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I will never agree with the logic behind labeling a jersey card as "player worn" when it never even saw a baseball stadium.

While your bat might be game used, most everything labeled in the database like this is just from a large signing event. I have some bats MLB authenticated as being collected by the team at the end of the season that I've been able to photo match to use in games 3-4 months prior.

[MENTION=1802]Pinbreaker[/MENTION], that is a beautiful Edgar bat!

Last edited:

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
interesting, i remember standing there and looking at it and looking it up online. i am almost certain it showed game used.

No doubt about it. You looked it up and showed it to me as we were talking about it. While we doubted the "game used" aspect of it due to its condition, this is really BS that it was listed as game used and now indicates a signing event.

I guess even the hologram is not worth anything.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Panini seems to do the best in comparison with tagging the memorabilia. I have seen player worn, but I have also seen game worn which to me suggests those are the ones that a player wore at a game they did not play in.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Panini seems to do the best in comparison with tagging the memorabilia. I have seen player worn, but I have also seen game worn which to me suggests those are the ones that a player wore at a game they did not play in.

Panini has been pretty good with having stuff that actually says game used on it. And they've got several sets with gu'd stuff that shows actual game use. Does that mean it's legit? Who knows. But at least their putting their money where their mouth is.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Panini has been pretty good with having stuff that actually says game used on it. And they've got several sets with gu'd stuff that shows actual game use. Does that mean it's legit? Who knows. But at least their putting their money where their mouth is.

I have the most confidence with Panini, hence why I see them using player worn vs. game worn vs. game used :) I do like Topps attempt with the MLB stickers in Strata and on the game balls in Tribute which gives a "true" description of what game the jersey came from. I don't mind a pitcher player with a game worn jersey, but I wouldn't want one for an every day position player.

Members online