Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This Mike Trout Platinum Card is very very fake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
For a modern card novice like me, what makes the card an obvious counterfeit?

Same question from me. What is the obvious red eye to an unsuspecting, untrained eye?

Check out the powdered area where the auto is signed and then compare it to a real one (go to the link and look under "we found something similar" for an example of what it should look like)

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I hear the Chinese have upped the realism of MTG fakes as well. Did you see any of those at your store?

We did see MANY of these come in through the door at the store.

Fortunately they aren't that good and the trained eye can spot them.

It's really difficult to detect in a scan online but once they are in hand they feel very different.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm certainly no expert, but did the overall rainbow refractor look just too shiny or have something "off" about it to anyone else?

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Thanks. So is this a standard warning not to buy products from Asia? I know they have asian editions, and they do seem to have some nice cards. I don't buy older stuff from asia, mostly recent stuff.

Depends on the seller.. I have a few that I will buy from as most collectors won't bid on asian auctions, so I get them cheaper than a US seller..

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
Please don't get suckered into buying it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-BOWMA...m592284fc77:g:VQoAAOSwyXtchGr5&frcectupt=true

Counterfeiters have REALLY ramped up operations.

For well over two years I've been fighting fake reprint cards being sold on eBay to the best of my ability (I'm very physically disabled). And everywhere I posted the results I asked for HELP in reporting the ILLEGAL copyright protected cards and EXACTLY what to do to report these FAKES to the correct people: the card company with the current license for the FAKE card (like Upper Deck for FAKE 1985-86 Fleer Jordan RC's), then the NBA Players Association Card Licensing peron, the NBA Properties licensing person, and the NBA itself. NO ONE HELPED ME! The same rules apply for every major sport. Instead of the NBAPA, it's the MLBPA and so on.

Yet I went after the first (18) BIG Top Rated Sellers over two years ago with 3,000+ Perfect Feedbacks; selling these illegal Topps Vintage exact replica cards (in BULK) and of such high quality, they were being resold AS ORIGINALS for BIG $$$! They were reported by myself to EVERYONE mentioned above. A month later ALL illegal reprints WERE GONE from eBay (and dozens of dealers were selling hundreds every month of each reprint). eBay was FORCED by the sports Licensing Agencies to either have "REPRINT" printed on the cards backs big & bold, or the sellers would be suspended indefinitely (and a few were).

A few months passed and the ILLEGAL Reprinty were all over www.etsy.com! This website is run by absolute crooks and because they are so much smaller than eBay, they are left alone.
Then after a few more months they started showing up on eBay again as well.

Everyone should know the actual copyright laws regarding sports cards, so here they are in short. No one may copy a card, the card design, use pictures of players in their MLB uniforms (whether reprints or otherwise), no one can make "ACEO RP" cards which are 100% FRAUDULENT. eBay created the ACEO term many years ago when individual comic artists decided to sell their work on cards that were standardized with some money going to charity. ACEO stands for ART CARDS, ORIGINALS and Editions meant for original sketch cards by comic artists ONLY! YET THE REPRINT CROOKS SNAGGED THAT TERM FOR THEIR OWN ILLEGAL PURPOSES TO FOOL NEVER COLLECTORS! BTW- The RP stands for REPRINT!
Over two years ago I explained to everyone who would listen that these reprints will eventually devalue the originals WHICH HAS COME TO PASS! Almost no one will buy vintage cards on eBay anymore unless they are graded!

My CROOK father died in 2015 (good riddance). He had been selling Muhammad Ali forgeries unknown to me for over a decade from Scott Olson & Chuck Wepner. I warned him that if I ever saw a forgery in his possession again, I would report him to the FBI (and I certainly would have). He the scumbag that caused me to get arrested for theft in the Playoff FRAUD case! My crooked step-mother wanted to send me hundreds of Ali "autographs" after my father passed. Ib told her to send me one, and DESTROY THE REST or the FBI will be knocking on your door. I have an EXEMPLAR of the (5) boxing Champions FORGERIES from John Olson and I wrote FORGERY in big red Sharpie letters on the back of the 8X10 photo, then I signed my name big & bold. He was also buying 1993 Topps Derek Jeter REPRINTS from John Olson by the hundreds for .50 cents each when Beckett had them listed at $25.00 each! -- YOU STILL CAN'T SELL THESE CARDS ON EBAY (real or not) for more than a couple of dollars because there are MORE FAKES for sale than originals on eBay!

I hate to TELL YOU SO, BUT I TOLD YOU SO! No one paid attention and no one HELPED ME (as much as I asked since 2002); BECAUSE I CANNOT FIGHT ANYWHERE NEAR LIKE I USED TO!

Now you'll have to deal with all the expensive REPRINT Certified Autograph Inserts in the hobby, OR FIGHT IT! My days of fighting these things are DONE! Not because I want to, but because I'm in severe-excruciating pain everywhere 24/7- 365 sine 2009 when my General Myasthenia Gravis became ADVANCED, along with my Fibromyalgia and Degenerative Disk disease (four massively herniated discs in my neck, and two in my lowest back right above my tailbone which feels like an icepick being jammed in L5/S1 all day!). I have severe nerve damage all over my body which is the most difficult pain to treat. Plus I have an XL Thymus gland (NOT THYROID). The Thymus gland is small and under the breast plate (sternum) in your chest until puberty, then your body absorbs it. Mine never was absorbed it just kept getting bigger slowly throughout my life. IT HAD BLOCKED ALL MEDICATIONS FROM WORKING RIGHT; OR MORE OFTEN AT ALL SINCE I WAS 16-YEARS OLD. Now nearly no medications work one at all. I don't want ANY pity or anyone feeling sorry for me. I'm just explaining why I can't fight hobby fraud (which I loved doing) like I used to. THIS WAS MY MAIN PART OF MY HOBBY. So many knuckleheads have asked me "Why are you so negative only fighting fraud?". I'm NOT negative, I love this hobby- but not with MORE FRAUD than honor & integrity! NO ONE ELSE EVER FOUGHT HOBBY FRAUD LIKE I DID, AND NO ONE ELSE EVER WILL.

If I were an average collector- I'd take advantage of everything I know about this hobby NOW (which is all factual, or factual enough that I've NEVER ONCE BEEN SUED!) because there's no way I'll live past 60- eight years MAXIMUM to go. Two of NYC's best Neurologists told me at age 40 that I'd be dead by age 50.

To the people who bash me: WHY HAVEN'T I EVER BEEN SUED IF I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT AND AM DELUSIONAL? I'll tell you who's the most delusional in this hobby now: BRIAN GRAY; Sociopath owner of Leaf who has put more JUNK into this hobby than any bother card company. I've had more email wars with this nutcase than anyone else in the last 5-years because of all the fraud he's done that harms all collectors!

I've been asking for others to pick up where I left off when I had to give up my CARDCOP website in 2004, and some idiot bought my website saying "I'll do 8it better than Cardcop ever did" (like the morons who get rumors who bash me here WRONGLY). Go to www.cardcop.org THAT WAS MY WEBSITE UNTIL 2004 and it today looks exactly the same as it looked in 2004 when the blabber mouth bought out my site saying he'd do so much better. HE DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING which is what all these "know nothings" on this site say I'm this & that and COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG.

But they do these awful things because it makes them feel powerful. That's called a SOCIOPATH and all I have to say to those on the fence on what to believe is EMAIL ME DIRECT and we can talk about anything you want to talk about. So long as you remain civil, no cursing, or disparaging remarks (with no truth to back it up) and I'll do everything I can to help you ALWAYS- FOR FREE.

James

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts