Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors - Late 80's / Early 90's uncataloged card back variations - illustrated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
lovely - now I need to scour the interwebs for possible '96 Stadium Club stamp placement variations - thanks, katieneack ;)

ok, anyone who happens to have a warehouse of 1990 Donruss, I need a Butler with the exact border below and no dot behind INC - card #249. COMC has two, but they're both the other border.

donruss90BorderVariationINCwithdot_F249.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
lovely - now I need to scour the interwebs for possible '96 Stadium Club stamp placement variations - thanks, katieneack ;)

ok, anyone who happens to have a warehouse of 1990 Donruss, I need a Butler with the exact border below and no dot behind INC - card #249. COMC has two, but they're both the other border.

donruss90BorderVariationINCwithdot_F249.jpg

Do you have reason to believe that it exists? I believe the dot pattern you show is from a factory set. I would think that the factory sets would all be printed at the same time by the same printer, and that only one "INC." would exist, not like the wax with two variations.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Do you have reason to believe that it exists? I believe the dot pattern you show is from a factory set. I would think that the factory sets would all be printed at the same time by the same printer, and that only one "INC." would exist, not like the wax with two variations.
good question - no, I don't really have a reason. I'm just making the assumption that it exists, I guess mostly because of the 4 variations in the '89 set. If wax has two variations, then factory must have two as well.

Bad thinking?

Jan 14, 2009

Correct! There aren't INC versions for the factory set cards. Only the pack/rack/cello issued cards.

1989 and it's four varieties aren't a result of factory vs. wax, just separate printings.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I'm confused by this...the factory set cards are supposed to have different border designs and different text spacing on back. If your scans are correct, you have a Factory Set and a pack-issued card with the same front but different backs? Please say it ain't so!

Also, on the 1988 Donruss Front:

88Donruss492FactorySetVariation.jpg
88Donruss492FactorySetVariationBack.jpg

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I'm confused by this...the factory set cards are supposed to have different border designs and different text spacing on back. If your scans are correct, you have a Factory Set and a pack-issued card with the same front but different backs? Please say it ain't so!

Good point! I was told that the one with the different text was a factory set variation, but maybe it is a pack issued variation with the different text lines on the back. I never really thought about it

Jan 14, 2009
Good point! I was told that the one with the different text was a factory set variation, but maybe it is a pack issued variation with the different text lines on the back. I never really thought about it

The borders aren't swapped on every card in the set. Some keep the same orientation.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
1991 Fleer: due to use of 2 different printers, each card comes in two versions, most very minor

I noticed looking at COMC that there are back variations involving a difference in regular vs. bold typefaces on back, on the player's vital info. On bold typeface variations, the vital info extends past the right edge of the blue line under it. On normal typeface cards, the vital info is flush right with the blue line.

Regular Font:
e9896256-8d7a-492a-8b4c-f148af813944.jpg

ea0e0fce-a72a-4857-b8b1-09311f9c119a.jpg

Bold Font:
d1d4f51b-b8cd-4211-9ea0-e867361758b1.jpg

acd59fb1-0b3a-4aa3-97d4-1ebe37dd45ce.jpg

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I tracked down two more for my PC.

1991 Donruss Hobby/Retail, 1991 Donruss Factory Set
Factory set cards had a different border.

91DONRUSS.jpg
91DONRUSSFACTORY.jpg

1991 Upper Deck
At least three hologram variations can be found for 1991 Upper Deck base cards, including the standard 1991 UD hologram (common), the 1990 UD hologram (very rare), and the 1991 UD hockey hologram (extremely rare). Sorry, scans do not pick up the differences very well.

1991 UD baseball hologram (UD repeated with 91)
91UD1991.jpg

1990 UD baseball hologram (UD repeated with baseballs)
91UD1990.jpg

1991 UD hockey hologram (UD repeated with parallel hockey sticks)
91UD1991HOCKEY.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I tracked down two more for my PC.

1991 Donruss Hobby/Retail, 1991 Donruss Factory Set
Factory set cards had a different border.

91DONRUSS.jpg
91DONRUSSFACTORY.jpg

1991 Upper Deck
At least three hologram variations can be found for 1991 Upper Deck base cards, including the standard 1991 UD hologram (common), the 1990 UD hologram (very rare), and the 1991 UD hockey hologram (extremely rare). Sorry, scans do not pick up the differences very well.

1991 UD baseball hologram (UD repeated with 91)
91UD1991.jpg

1990 UD baseball hologram (UD repeated with baseballs)
91UD1990.jpg

1991 UD hockey hologram (UD repeated with parallel hockey sticks)
91UD1991HOCKEY.jpg

I just purchased 2 1991 Donruss variation fronts of Mattingly on COMC. I'm not sure which is more rare but out of 75 listed I purchased the only 2 that were different than the other 73. I have two questions.

Do you know if the ones that were more rare came from factory sets or rak packs?

Did the more rare front variation also have both versions of the back variation with the (INC) and the (INC.)?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Good question. I have a border variation, but I didn't note on my online list whether it's INC or INC.

I assume I must have done the research or read concrete proof that there isn't a variation possible for the border variation. Otherwise it would almost certainly be on my wantlist.

edit: my online scan shows that my variation is "INC."

Now I need further confirmation that there is no "INC" available.

Last edited:

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Good question. I have a border variation, but I didn't note on my online list whether it's INC or INC.

I assume I must have done the research or read concrete proof that there isn't a variation possible for the border variation. Otherwise it would almost certainly be on my wantlist.

edit: my online scan shows that my variation is "INC."

Now I need further confirmation that there is no "INC" available.
The 2 Mattinglys I purchased are INC. I will have to check my O'Neill variation front later tonight.
How did you make out with this one? Ever find the "D"?
'91 Stadium Club - I've got a C*, but haven't been able to find what I assume would be a D*.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I haven't had any luck with a D*. I've looked at a few dozen examples, so if a variation exists, it's super rare.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I haven't had any luck with a D*. I've looked at a few dozen examples, so if a variation exists, it's super rare.
There is a "D" for O'Neill which I have.

And for 1992 ST I have an "E" and ""F"

As far as my variation front 91 Donruss O'Neill it too is an INC.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I just wanted to pass along to you that I checked my Paul O'Neill "no foil" on front Stadium Club. I have 3 total and I do have a C* and a D* variation for those no foils.

Latest posts