Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOF pitching stats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
What if it turns out he was hurt these past few years?

Or what say he has a couple 15-7 seasons in his early-mid 30s, with around 1 k/inning, and an era under 3.50?

I mean, if no one was as dominant for those 5-6 years as Koufax, no one was as dominant as Big Time Timmy Jims in those 2-3 years.

There is no doubt that Timmy 2 times had a stretch of 2 great years & 2 good years, but he went down hill quickly after that. Honestly, I am not sure what the problem is, but at 29 he has plenty of time to turn it around. I agree that if he can get back to form and have a stretch of 4 or 5 good years of pitching, he may get consideration. However, based solely on his 4 year stretch of 2 great years & 2 good years, it's simply not enough.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Lincecum's Era+ from 2008-2009 was 170. His Era+ from 2010-2011 was only 120. So, he was dominant for 2 years and good for 2 years. He has not been good since, he is not a hall of famer as of now.

Johan's era+ from 2002-2010 was 150. He IS a hall of famer.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Lincecum's Era+ from 2008-2009 was 170. His Era+ from 2010-2011 was only 120. So, he was dominant for 2 years and good for 2 years. He has not been good since, he is not a hall of famer as of now.

Johan's era+ from 2002-2010 was 150. He IS a hall of famer.

If there was a hall of very, very good then I would put Johan in today, however I am not sure voters will give him the nod in the hall. He was a awesome pitcher with a few exceptional years, but aside from his CY awards (which are note worthy), I'm just not sure the totality of his career has that 'wow' factor with regards to longevity and accomplishment/milestones...

Last edited:

jess0304

Oct 10, 2012
Wins give you the Don Suttons of the HoF.

Sabermatrians give you the Blylevens and Gossages.

I'd say there's a definite shift in thinking these days. The counting stats will get you noticed but not in, especially as a reliever. 300 wins, 4000 K's, 3+ Cy Youngs, should all get you in (unless you're Clemens).

For me, the interesting cases for pitchers:
Mussina - had a sustained run of VERY good and has very good counting stats for a modern day pitcher (270 wins, 2813 K's, 3.68 ERA), but no Cy's
Lincecum - best days already behind him it seems, but absolutely dominant for a short duration, winning 2 Cy's and 2 WS
Halladay - 7 times in top 5 Cy voting (2x 1st, 2x 2nd), very good K/BB%, but not going to get the counting stats (201 wins, 2101 K's)

We're not probably going to see many more 300 win pitchers and I think that makes something like Mussina's 270 a big number. Pettitte is close at 253, but hasn't had the dominance (though did Sutton really have that either?). Thinking will have to shift if the HoF is to induct more starters.

Incredibly well thought out response.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
If there was a hall of very, very good then I would put Johan in today, however I am not sure voters will give him the nod in the hall. He was a awesome pitcher with a few exceptional years, but aside from his CY awards (which are note worthy), I'm just not sure the totality of his career has that 'wow' factor with regards to longevity and accomplishment/milestones...

I see what you are saying and I agree he won't get in. I still think he is deserving. The way I see it is: If he hung around for 5 years of mediocre pitching 4.00 ERA and got to 200 wins and 2750 strikeouts, bloating his era to over 3.50 it would increase his odds of getting in, even though in reality it wouldn't make what he did more impressive.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
Like it or not, Wins are one of, if not the most important statistic a pitcher can have in his favor. Sure, it is a team statistic but speaks volumes about a pitchers field generalship. There are intangibles in the game that can not be measured by a abacus, and some pitchers command these intangibles above and beyond others. This translates to W's... So what the op calls arbitrary is, in reality, very important and telling...

As for the direct question, voters like pitchers who are winners.

I couldn't disagree more about the wins, a great pitcher on a bad team can have 8-10 wins, and an average pitcher on a good team will have 13-15 wins Look at lance Lynn 18 wins last year and 13 so far this year. Average pitcher at best

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I couldn't disagree more about the wins, a great pitcher on a bad team can have 8-10 wins, and an average pitcher on a good team will have 13-15 wins Look at lance Lynn 18 wins last year and 13 so far this year. Average pitcher at best

But that will never get him to 250-300 wins over a career.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
? If he average 13 a year for 20 years? That's 260?

I think (though I may be wrong) that what he is saying is that over times wins even out and a pitcher will largely regress to the mean so an average pitcher will ultimately have an average number of wins or close to it (multiplies by the number of seasons played).

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
I think (though I may be wrong) that what he is saying is that over times wins even out and a pitcher will largely regress to the mean so an average pitcher will ultimately have an average number of wins or close to it (multiplies by the number of seasons played).

Tell that to felix hernandez, matt cain, and cole hamels.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
? If he average 13 a year for 20 years? That's 260?

How about 14 a year for 23 years? Those are Don Sutton's totals. For me, Sutton was a very good pitcher for a very long time. Even though I wouldn't consider him an "all-time great" I still think he is rightfully in the HOF.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
What if it turns out he was hurt these past few years?

Or what say he has a couple 15-7 seasons in his early-mid 30s, with around 1 k/inning, and an era under 3.50?

I mean, if no one was as dominant for those 5-6 years as Koufax, no one was as dominant as Big Time Timmy Jims in those 2-3 years.

Pedro had a serious stretch of dominance that may have been as good if not better than Koufax.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
How about 14 a year for 23 years? Those are Don Sutton's totals. For me, Sutton was a very good pitcher for a very long time. Even though I wouldn't consider him an "all-time great" I still think he is rightfully in the HOF.

Don Sutton had a career era+ of 108. Wow that is shockingly mediocre and it makes me want to waste 2 hours analyzing him to death.

Pedro had a serious stretch of dominance that may have been as good if not better than Koufax.

Greatest career ERA+ of all time for a starter. I think Pedro is the best starting pitcher of all time if you're looking at the context of their dominance. Pedro pitched in such an offensive dominant era, which minimizes just how much better he was than any other starter in his era.

From 1997-2003 he was:

118 wins, 36 losses, 2.20 era, 34 cg, 11 shutouts, 11.3 SO/9!!!, 5.59 SO/BB!!!, 213 ERA+!!!

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Don Sutton had a career era+ of 108. Wow that is shockingly mediocre and it makes me want to waste 2 hours analyzing him to death.

Greatest career ERA+ of all time for a starter. I think Pedro is the best starting pitcher of all time if you're looking at the context of their dominance. Pedro pitched in such an offensive dominant era, which minimizes just how much better he was than any other starter in his era.

From 1997-2003 he was:

118 wins, 36 losses, 2.20 era, 34 cg, 11 shutouts, 11.3 SO/9!!!, 5.59 SO/BB!!!, 213 ERA+!!!
Yes, he was something else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts